When the club was on the verge of being wound up by the HMRC

4 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

No. 5 is a lot to ask. With the wages we pay we'll struggle to get rid.

That seems a bit unfortunate considering the Chairmans statement about how important finances are at the moment.

You'd think we'd be a little bit more prudent in weeing money up the wall on players who don't contribute at all.

Ugh.

This "but we nearly got wound up so just enjoy it" business needs to stop.

It's self defeatist and all it serves to do is provide a comfortable little excuse that ANYTHING is acceptable just because it's better than when Nick Parker was stood outside the court begging for a lifeline.

Yes that was a terrible time but it was years ago now. Enough time has passed since that I genuinely can't remember how long. At least 5 years? An absolute age in football terms. 

That's not where we are now. It's not the current position of the club. Expectations have been raised and not unfairly. It's not relevant to dismiss concerns over aspects of how the club is run or this infuriating style of football and lack of creativity with the players we have because it wasn't this good YEARS ago. 

This thinking really needs to stop. It's the same type of "head up own arse" backwards thinking that's cost us before. Where is our collective ambition? An ambition to demand more from this team and what we're paying good money to see? That ambition shouldn't be held back by "well it wasn't this good a few years ago lads". F*cking b*llocks to that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

Ugh.

This "but we nearly got wound up so just enjoy it" business needs to stop.

It's self defeatist and all it serves to do is provide a comfortable little excuse that ANYTHING is acceptable just because it's better than when Nick Parker was stood outside the court begging for a lifeline.

Yes that was a terrible time but it was years ago now. Enough time has passed since that I genuinely can't remember how long. At least 5 years? An absolute age in football terms. 

That's not where we are now. It's not the current position of the club. Expectations have been raised and not unfairly. It's not relevant to dismiss concerns over aspects of how the club is run or this infuriating style of football and lack of creativity with the players we have because it wasn't this good YEARS ago. 

This thinking really needs to stop. It's the same type of "head up own arse" backwards thinking that's cost us before. Where is our collective ambition? An ambition to demand more from this team and what we're paying good money to see? That ambition shouldn't be held back by "well it wasn't this good a few years ago lads". F*cking b*llocks to that!

Ambition is a dirty word.

lol

1 hour ago, dazzler07 said:

Another performance like the last 4 have been, Fulham, Hudds twice and PNE and he will be sacked I have no doubts 

Fulham really you are including Fulham 

You need to look at yourself 10 changes ( i think cant be arsed to check ) against a near full strength Fulham side and did they blow us away no they did not

Edited by Lawrie Madden

1 hour ago, Havin-a-hoot said:

The whole stripe thing is really blown out of proportion... I imagine any fan would support their club no matter what the players ran onto the pitch in, it's a bit like when the missus buys an ugly dress but seems so pleased with herself about it, you smile and tell her she looks lovely and love her none the less for it 

The whole stripe thing has not been blown out of proportion IMO but it has little to no bearing on our survival or not by whatever means 

I hated last seasons kit i still went 

I hate this seasons kit i'm still going 

Doesn't alter the fact that we should be playing in stripes in our celebration season and that that is important to a large proportion of our fan base 

• Like 1

I honestly think things just get over blown on owlstalk.

People would prefer stripes but I don't think there is massive outrage away from the forum about it.

Some fans think Carlos could be getting more from his players. People are upset about getting out played and lack of shots but it's not got to Eustace out proportions yet.

I'm not 100% sure if Carlos can take us up and I'd prefer stripes. But at games im just a clapper and you'll not hear any booing from me.

I don't think people are really as pissed off as it sounds.

We don't need to keep remembering how far we've come and how bad it was in the past.

It's not really relevant.

Edited by Eightace

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I hope Carlos isn't fired

The best outcome would be for everyone to just get stuck in and get onto winning ways and we keep a settled situation

Problem with Carlos is he's nearly good enough, I can see him scraping through the season in an around the playoffs but won't have a realistic shot of going up. 

Better to bite the bullet early as not going up this year will be disastrous because of ffp. 

The chairman has been outstanding.

He has put more into this club than any other chairman in recent years. New pitch, an improved academy and a competitive side. He broke our transfer record twice. The record had stood since the 1990's!

We have had 2 play off finishes in the 2 seasons with and a points increase whilst also finishing 2 places higher than 15/16.

It hasn't been perfect but nobody can argue the progress that has been made since DC came in. Yes most of us want the stripes back, yes most of us want cheaper tickets and undoubtedly the commercial side of things must improve dramatically but all things said DC has been brilliant for our club.

My frustrations and I suspect that of most other fans is our current tactical set up and inability to provide service to Rhodes, Hooper and our general attacking play. DC can't change that on the pitch but rest assured he will change it off it if things don't improve and fast.

I trust him to make the right moves should the need arise.

The whole stripe thing is really blown out of proportion... I imagine any fan would support their club no matter what the players ran onto the pitch in, it's a bit like when the missus buys an ugly dress but seems so pleased with herself about it, you smile and tell her she looks lovely and love her none the less for it 

True. Sometimes we have to just take it on the chin.

Even though inside your heart breaks at every glance at her, the memories of the wonderful bloom of your romance fades to grey and the tumultuous engaging lovemaking is replaced with excuses about your insomnia as you sneak away and withdraw from the bed chamber down stairs to have a stiff drink, your body juddering with pain and anguish , because the truth is still lover her and try to hide the fact you can only see her as a hideous and tainted beast that makes your skin crawl.

Oh well. At least it's blue and white.  

• Haha 1

I know I'm a codger but think the stripes issue is an owlstalk thing , it's hardly merited a mention in my circle of mates 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dazzler07 said:

Before Manderic rescued us if a buyer came to to us and said I will save the club, clear the debt, invest millions but there will be a some stipulations the main 2 being 

1.Lose the stripes 

2. Prices will inevitably will go up 

Would we have gone nah mate no thanks or would we have snatched there hands off and thanked God for answering our prayers.

It's ok to be p!ssed off with Carlos and if I was a betting man (I am but won't bet against Wednesday) he probably is going to get sacked but let's have a bit of reality check and think how far we have come because without Chansiri and Manderic there wouldn't be a club let alone a stripped kit.

I do like the stripes don't get me wrong but at the end of the day it's just a kit and a small price to pay... Look at Blackburn, Newcastle and Hull how terrible there owners are to the fans and traditions.

This argument doesn't stack up. No prospective owner buys a club on the promise that they will only buy if they can change important aspects of the club.

Like Cardiff Owners and Hulls owner have found out, some aspects of a club are sacrosanct  and not for sale.

The clubs name and kit are one. Kit design particularly for us, cause like Newcastle, Sunderland, Sheffield United, QPR, & Celtic, our kit is a big part of our identity.

Unfortunately Chansiri, saw the one main departure (1967-72) as an opening to push through his change. And equally unfortunate, many of our gullible fans bought this line.

Blue & White Stripes doesn't = bankruptcy

Edited by zzmdu

I like stripes and would like us to have them back but on the other hand as long as we don't go back to the days of fearing for our clubs very future I don't mind halves , quarters , diamonds or whatever , if it's blue and white then so be it . 

4 hours ago, dazzler07 said:

Another performance like the last 4 have been, Fulham, Hudds twice and PNE and he will be sacked I have no doubts 

Don't know about dazzled I think you are Haddled. Even if you are right speculation doesn't help the cause.

As for the assertion that SWFC would have no longer existed.... Well wide of the mark, protection of the name had been organised prior to the court date. 

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

9 minutes ago, cross owl said:

I like stripes and would like us to have them back but on the other hand as long as we don't go back to the days of fearing for our clubs very future I don't mind halves , quarters , diamonds or whatever , if it's blue and white then so be it . 

I wish I could feel that way, and I envy those that do. When I see my team running out without stripes and with the rubbish new (old) badge, I just don't see my team any more. The visual identity that I grew up with, that I aligned with, that I bought merchandise based around, that I copied and mimicked, has been cast aside and I hate it. It's not just about the team with me - the badge and stripes are a vital part of the package and for absolutely no good reason, these things have been replaced with far, far inferior versions. I look at the online shop and there's not a single item that appeals because it just looks like it belongs to some other club - and why would I want to buy that?

I'm clinging on to the belief that the stripes will return one day, but honestly I think that's false hope. And the worst part of it all is how many people don't feel the same! Something that's so vital to me, is so trivial to many others. I guess I just need to get over it, but maaaan, am I struggling to do so...

• Like 1

Just now, Onge said:

I wish I could feel that way, and I envy those that do. When I see my team running out without stripes and with the rubbish new (old) badge, I just don't see my team any more. The visual identity that I grew up with, that I aligned with, that I bought merchandise based around, that I copied and mimicked, has been cast aside and I hate it. It's not just about the team with me - the badge and stripes are a vital part of the package and for absolutely no good reason, these things have been replaced with far, far inferior versions. I look at the online shop and there's not a single item that appeals because it just looks like it belongs to some other club - and why would I want to buy that?

I'm clinging on to the belief that the stripes will return one day, but honestly I think that's false hope. And the worst part of it all is how many people don't feel the same! Something that's so vital to me, is so trivial to many others. I guess I just need to get over it, but maaaan, am I struggling to do so...

Not to bring the badge argument up yet again.... but boy do I love the new badge. The other owl just seemed like one of those retro things where sure it would've looked 'cool' 20 years ago but but now it just feels tacky. The new (old) badge feels more fitting to me for a club that is 149 years old. It has class, tradition and heritage. But as with kits, it is all about taste. 

DC has invested his time and money and always been honest with us which is all we could have asked for in a Chairman. They're all out for one thing.

I dislike the shirts but that's a minor annoyance. We're going to get there it's just going to take a few years longer than anybody anticipated.

3 minutes ago, Onge said:

I agree with this - I know it's irrational but so is supporting a football team full stop and so is drawing the line that we stick to blue and white.