Sailing close to the FFP wind

Guest Deleted member

6 minutes ago, ZIMMY said:

Just a thought but the Chairman might be edging his bets, because i think in football, "Coach's sometimes get the sack" and the new one might need a bit of cash, hence shopping in the bargain basement for Centre Halves at present. For me he is in the "Last Chance Saloon" and nothing to do with Fair Play.

That would be a strange strategy as Carlos was free to walk away in the summer but the Chairman wanted him to remain. Surely if that's the case, you then need to back the manager with what he wants - or in this case, needs. We need at least one centre half otherwise Carlos is going to fail - that's a guarantee.

FFP can get you in serious bobbar obviously but more often that not it's used as an excuse by clubs to justify not spending money to get riled up fans off their backs.

What is worrying is that so many of our high earners will have very little resale by the end of their contracts and besides Forestieri I can't see any of our big earners being moved on for a decent return (Reach included) which would make any sanctions long and painful like Forest.

Just now, Sefton owl said:

how is that madness? Modern day football is all about balancing the books. Rhodes has looked sharp in pre-season so I wouldn't exactly call it reckless

Because we knew we'd need a center half and obviously knew it was our last bit of money, unless nobody looks at the accounts, which i'd guess they probably do.

Making the world aware that you are close to FFP doesn't exactly put you in the best bargaining position either. 

Re selling a player, the obvious one is FF. Not a guaranteed starter, we would get a decent fee and has got a history of throwing his toys out of the pram. 

20 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Apparently at last night's fans forum Carlos was quoted saying he's 'not sure' if the club could pay a transfer fee -  as we are at the edge of FFP...

That makes the £10m for Rhodes seem even more reckless, especially as we'd just bought Winnall 

Looks like we really need to offload.  Hope it's not FF

Apparently !!!   You couldn't make it up. Wait a minute you just have.     UTO  

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Making the world aware that you are close to FFP doesn't exactly put you in the best bargaining position either. 

Re selling a player, the obvious one is FF. Not a guaranteed starter, we would get a decent fee and has got a history of throwing his toys out of the pram. 

He'd be my choice as well. Shame we didn't sell (for more) when he refused to play at Norwich...

Just now, vulva said:

I don't know. If Club x want £n million for a player and they believe DC has the money they may hold out for it. If we say we are strapped by FFP and can only pay £n-4 million perhaps they'll' drop the price. Maybe?

Well we bid £3 million for Sean Morrison, so that's 3 million plus wages we presumably have in the transfer kitty. IMO DC may well have come to the conclusion that throwing money around is not the answer and it's time for Carlos to demonstrate his man-management skills with what is still a good squad of players.

5 minutes ago, TrueOwl said:

FFP can get you in serious bobbar obviously but more often that not it's used as an excuse by clubs to justify not spending money to get riled up fans off their backs.

What is worrying is that so many of our high earners will have very little resale by the end of their contracts and besides Forestieri I can't see any of our big earners being moved on for a decent return (Reach included) which would make any sanctions long and painful like Forest.

Forest sold Britt Assomwhatshisname, Henri Lansbury, and Michail Antonio for £30m - just to name a few. Not sure Forest's problems are caused by FFP!!

Guest Deleted member
5 minutes ago, kevtheowl said:

Apparently !!!   You couldn't make it up. Wait a minute you just have.     UTO  

Well they played Carlos saying it on Radio Sheffield News just now. So unless theyve got a damn good impersonator - its not made up at all.

numpty

4 minutes ago, Almat said:

He'd be my choice as well. Shame we didn't sell (for more) when he refused to play at Norwich...

The only offer on the table was £7m. That fee was an insult and designed to upset the player in the hope the other club could get him cheap - and that is the only way they were going to buy him. So, we handled it the only way we could - unless you would have been happy to lose Forestieri for £7m?

Just now, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

The only offer on the table was £7m. That fee was an insult and designed to upset the player in the hope the other club could get him cheap - and that is the only way they were going to buy him. So, we handled it the only way we could - unless you would have been happy to lose Forestieri for £7m?

That was clearly the starting bid/the stalking horse; if DC had said he was interested in selling him the bids would have come in thick and fast at the time, I'm sure of it.