Sailing close to the FFP wind

Guest Deleted member

2 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Didn't "Sky Sources" say we'd had a £3m bid turned down for Morrison at Cardiff?

If true then I'd say we're not that close to FFP limits.

We did, and we are not close to the FFP limits. There's a big difference between people thinking we are close to FFP limits and the club just holding on to the money and waiting for the right player. I'm sure we will get every player the club has targeted.    UTO 

2 hours ago, ZIMMY said:

Just a thought but the Chairman might be edging his bets, because i think in football, "Coach's sometimes get the sack" and the new one might need a bit of cash, hence shopping in the bargain basement for Centre Halves at present. For me he is in the "Last Chance Saloon" and nothing to do with Fair Play.

Or it could be that we are trying to get the best deal possible for the club and won't pay stupid transfer fee.

17 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Have we? Because any injury to Lees or Loovens and we are screwed. Left back is still a weakness and there is no pace in the squad. Other than than that its ok.

we had no pace in the squad last season and did well , carlos seems happy with his left backs ,we are a back up centre back down but the club seem to be trying to remedy that ..I don't see how the squad is any weaker than last season when we finished 4th ........

To completely make a figure up, say we were thinking of offering Morrison £15k on a 4 year deal.

That plus a £3m deal over the 4 year period would equate to about £1.5m a year.

I think you could both be 'close' to FFP limits, and able to afford that sort of deal. It just means no more Rhodes type fees?

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we had no pace in the squad last season and did well , carlos seems happy with his left backs ,we are a back up centre back down but the club seem to be trying to remedy that ..I don't see how the squad is any weaker than last season when we finished 4th ........

Well open your eyes and look at the defence

2 hours ago, Almat said:

DC's accountant may have surveyed the starting 11 against Udders and asked where his client's 30 million spondoolics went! 

As an executive summary of last season, this pretty much sums it up for me.

The 'Strategy' of improvement vs FFP was a disaster.

1 minute ago, AMB1867 said:

It's easy to talk about Rhodes' fee when he's been poor. But I suspect we wouldn't be questioning it if he had been scoring goals. 

I think what what must be questioned is how on earth this has happened, if true. 

Somebody turned off the tap and they've not managed to find anyone than can turn it back on yet

In Theory maybe FFP is a great idea. However, without the transparency, which is a pre-requisite for fans, the whole thing becomes almost meaningless.  Not only do fans need to be able to compare and contrast their own clubs performance in relation to FFP but some clarity on the punitive penalties that are issued when clubs transgress.

No use having a situation where they can completely escape punishment by being promoted to the Premier league. When they return as QPR did the penalty should be put in play.

While ever a transgressing club under FFP can point to a club under parachute payments and indicate spending 300% greater than their own. FFP is fit for one resting place and that is The Dust Bin. 

Yes, and buying Rhodes and other premier league rejects isn't going to assure you a play-off win either. 

The reality is that he was probably bought to secure us a top six place, rather than anything else. 

He's not a reject. We paid a big amount to get them to part. A reject would have been on a free. Btw the words "reality" and "probably" aren't good bedfellows in a sentence.

I think you are a bit warped mate.

He wasn't wanted by Middlesbrough, and they knew they could get something for him, so they did. He didn't play for them in the Premier League either.

I would definitely call that a reject. A bit like all the other rejects we seem to have picked up from the Premier League, who can't seem to get us into the Premier League. Lots of clues here, Premier League rejects aren't good enough.

They've all been good enough to help other teams go up.

I think you are a bit warped mate.

He wasn't wanted by Middlesbrough, and they knew they could get something for him, so they did. He didn't play for them in the Premier League either.

I would definitely call that a reject. A bit like all the other rejects we seem to have picked up from the Premier League, who can't seem to get us into the Premier League. Lots of clues here, Premier League rejects aren't good enough.

If we can't go shopping in the premier league then...what do you suggest?

Tapping up the cream of la liga?

8 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

In Theory maybe FFP is a great idea. However, without the transparency, which is a pre-requisite for fans, the whole thing becomes almost meaningless.  Not only do fans need to be able to compare and contrast their own clubs performance in relation to FFP but some clarity on the punitive penalties that are issued when clubs transgress.

No use having a situation where they can completely escape punishment by being promoted to the Premier league. When they return as QPR did the penalty should be put in play.

While ever a transgressing club under FFP can point to a club under parachute payments and indicate spending 300% greater than their own. FFP is fit for one resting place and that is The Dust Bin. 

Fans turn up to watch the games and support the team - The vast majority of fans don't need to know (or care) about the intricacies of FFP. 

Thr problem is FFP + massive EPL parachute payments = an unfair competition. FFP is there to ensure clubs balance the books. It's the inbalance caused by the financial dominance of the EPL that's the issue.

Guest Deleted member
2 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Thr problem is FFP + massive EPL parachute payments = an unfair competition. FFP is there to ensure clubs balance the books. It's the inbalance caused by the financial dominance of the EPL that's the issue.

Exactly. An unfair and very uneven playing field

Like this 

hillsidesoccer.jpg

Just now, AMB1867 said:

As I said many weeks ago, I'd rather us be pinching players from teams in this league that have a decent reputation.

Instead clubs are laughing their nuts of at us. "He's not good enough for us, Wednesday will  have him"

So the premier league rejects are no good.

How do you "pinch", decent championship players?

Who are these players we've signed from the championship that leave us open to mockery?