Sailing close to the FFP wind

Guest Deleted member

35 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

He said something, can't remember what but a whole load of assumptions were made as to what he really meant.

Didn't he say he'd got 'friends'? Anyway, imo there's no way DC has financed this all himself, there must be some involvement from TUF or 'friends'. Don't forget the first press conference when he took over...

3013765919.jpg

It's like the "promise" of promotion in 2 years all over again....

Can someone find exactly what was said and then maybe people would be able to separate facts from assumptions.

However, this may almost close out much of the grey area in which some of the most vocal contributors on OT enjoy operating in to spout made upshite.

"I've been going through the books Mr Chansiri, and I notice you signed Harlee Dean from Brentford for £1.5m"

"That is correct"

" A bargain"

"Yes."

"A.real bargain, considering they had turned down higher bids from other clubs just weeks before they took your lower offer..."

"I drive a hard bargain and was keen to remain honourable about FFP"

"Mmmmmm. Yes, clearly. However Mr Chansiri, I notice that you , personally, paid Brentford FC £3.5m pounds for their De'Longhi coffee machine, now I don't want to cast aper...  "

"I am a big fan of coffee"

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

"I've been going through the books Mr Chansiri, and I notice you signed Harlee Dean from Brentford for £1.5m"

"That is correct"

" A bargain"

"Yes."

"A.real bargain, considering they had turned down higher bids from other clubs just weeks before they took your lower offer..."

"I drive a hard bargain and was keen to remain honourable about FFP"

"Mmmmmm. Yes, clearly. However Mr Chansiri, I notice that you , personally, paid Brentford FC £3.5m pounds for their De'Longhi coffee machine, now I don't want to cast aper...  "

"I am a big fan of coffee"

And playing the De Longhi game...

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Almat said:

Didn't he say he'd got 'friends'? Anyway, imo there's no way DC has financed this all himself, there must be some involvement from TUF or 'friends'. Don't forget the first press conference when he took over...

3013765919.jpg

Been saying this for a while,  whilst I'm no business man could he not just rename the ground the TUF stadium and bring in money that way, or could he name his billionaire dad as an investor, or both. Surely this would enable us to get round FFP.

20 hours ago, Bronco Blue said:

Question: if we had hung on to our lead against Huddersfield and overcome Reading at Wembley, where -- if we are running out of money now -- would we have got the cash for the three or four Prem quality players we would have then needed to ensure survival?

I suspect money is always tight at many clubs like ours but would we have suddenly offloaded, for decent fees, the players who don't get a game now? Or would the sponsorship deals be re-worked if the rules allow It? How would marketing have significantly improved the shirt and shin pads sales? I genuinely don't know the FFP rules so any thoughts would be interesting.

Of course, we might have assumed we had a great team already and had enough here, thus avoiding buying...

We are not running out of money in the sense you seem to imply, we are however restricted to what our revenue streams and balance sheet will permit, whilst working to the maximum allowed losses within FFP rules, please understand the difference.

18 hours ago, darra said:

Am I wrong in thinking that when Mr Chansiri took over the club and when FFP was talked about the club line was that it wouldn't  be a problem as things were being put in motion. At the time it was thought that if the time came as it is now being reported by the club,  that TUF would come on board. Maybe our assumptions were wrong? 

I think some construed the "do anything necessary" comment and the "we have friends" comment to mean further funds would be invested but it's not that simple. You either break FFP rules by exceeding the allowed losses or you inject cash into the club by something like sponsoring it yourself. However as this is essentially like giving money to the taxman no right minded person or related commercial entity would consider it for large sums, it would be crazy.

If only the owner could loan the club cash, pay himself interest and ultimately pay himself back like in the good old days everything would be fine.....oh wait a minute, that didn't work either. lol

1 hour ago, Arnold said:

Does the FFP reset after the third year? Meaning next year we can spend freely again? 

No, as I understand its rolling so Yr 1,2,3 then it would be Yr 2,3,4 and so on.

Edited by Morepork

The frustrating thing is that we're 2 to 3 players and £10m or thereabouts of investment away from having a squad very capable of and should be expecting automatic promotion.

Easy to bandy about numbers as if £10m is nothing, but in the scheme of things as football stands, it isn't.

20 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

All the talk of Hudds and Reading doing it on a small budget <edit> Well might have been small buget but they pushed FFP</edit>

The Reading chairman is DC's buddy. He's since sold up after admitting his consortium were struggling with the cost of running the club. Shame he didn't have a brainwave of trying to sell the fans a plaque.

Edited by Geoffrey

1 hour ago, striker said:

The frustrating thing is that we're 2 to 3 players and £10m or thereabouts of investment away from having a squad very capable of and should be expecting automatic promotion.

Easy to bandy about numbers as if £10m is nothing, but in the scheme of things as football stands, it isn't.

We might have had another £10m to spend in the transfer market if our judgement on other players was better and we got shut of a few who CC obviously doesn't rate.

Should the limits of how much you can be in debt be raised? When the limits for FFP were set, things in football especially the transfer market and wages were different. In the championship fees of £5 million and rising and wages of £30000 / week and upwards are becoming the norm

2 minutes ago, darra said:

Should the limits of how much you can be in debt be raised? When the limits for FFP were set, things in football especially the transfer market and wages were different. In the championship fees of £5 million and rising and wages of £30000 / week and upwards are becoming the norm

Vicious circle though. The ridiculous thing with football is that no normal business rules are followed but us mugs are asked to come along to fund the gap