Harlee Dean, Brentford captain

Guest BULGARIA

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

That value is really very arbitrary and determined entirely by computers, don't think it takes any bearing into how much he's 'worth' to a club

Also worth bearing in mind that I'm pretty sure it's a German-based website initially. Chances are, for a decent CB for a fairly small club in the 2.Bundesliga in the last year of his contract, £850k or about 1€ million is probably not that far off! Can't deal with our confounded inflated prices over here :biggrin:

All joking aside that market is one we should be looking at.

21 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

I'm only guessing here but I reckon 7-8 mill mate.

No way he is in the last 12 months of contract, guess 2-3 tops.My Charlton mate says he has so far refused a new contract. It's either that he will leave or run his contract down, my friend thinks he will be gone if he doesn't sign.

Edited by Big Jack

If he's only got 1 year left then they may well cash in. Brentford aren't likely to compete with the kind of wages he could be getting somewhere else, so if he's aware of this he might not want to extend with them. Then Brentford have to decide if they want to get a final year out of him, or a few million. 

Their asking price may well drop to something reasonable towards the end of the window.

Signing him has the added bonus of disrupting a potential top 6 push from Brentford too.

20 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

No way he is in the last 12 months of contract, guess 2-3 tops.My Charlton mate says he has so far refused a new contract. It's either that he will leave or run his contract down, my friend thinks he will be gone if he doesn't sign.

Sorry didn't realise it was his last year.

7 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

So out with it then, who are the culprits not performing. What evidence do you have to bring to Mr C regarding the scouting network and their lack of capability.

Stevie May, Marco Matias, Lucas Joao, Filipe Melo, Sergiu Bus, Urby Emmanuelson, Modou Sougou, Rhoys Wiggins, Marnick Vermijl.

Some of those are debatable, some you can argue we moved on from within 6 months of them joining (Bus and Vermijl for example), but what can't be debated is that effectively none of the imports from foreign leagues over the last two seasons have succeeded here for one reason or another. The only one that even comes close to arguably working out is Lucas Joao after a positive start... and he's spent a quarter of his time here out on loan to a club that got relegated. Hopefully it works out for him and he comes good, but even so that's a pretty low success rate. We've had some torrid foreign imports while other clubs such as Huddersfield and Leeds have bought in players from foreign leagues and have had more than half becoming mainstays in their squads and having great seasons. 

We have a terrible track record of identifying and recruiting foreign talent, and I have two years of data with a less than 20% success rate to back it up, whilst some rival clubs of ours have a greater than 50% success rate with it. I feel that as far as negative statements go, I have plenty of actual evidence to suggest there's quite a large element of truth in it

7 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Stevie May, Marco Matias, Lucas Joao, Filipe Melo, Sergiu Bus, Urby Emmanuelson, Modou Sougou, Rhoys Wiggins, Marnick Vermijl.

Some of those are debatable, some you can argue we moved on from within 6 months of them joining (Bus and Vermijl for example), but what can't be debated is that effectively none of the imports from foreign leagues over the last two seasons have succeeded here for one reason or another. The only one that even comes close to arguably working out is Lucas Joao after a positive start... and he's spent a quarter of his time here out on loan to a club that got relegated. Hopefully it works out for him and he comes good, but even so that's a pretty low success rate. We've had some torrid foreign imports while other clubs such as Huddersfield and Leeds have bought in players from foreign leagues and have had more than half becoming mainstays in their squads and having great seasons. 

We have a terrible track record of identifying and recruiting foreign talent, and I have two years of data with a less than 20% success rate to back it up, whilst some rival clubs of ours have a greater than 50% success rate with it. I feel that as far as negative statements go, I have plenty of actual evidence to suggest there's quite a large element of truth in it

and worst of all Nuhui,good post

7 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

So out with it then, who are the culprits not performing. What evidence do you have to bring to Mr C regarding the scouting network and their lack of capability.

I guess to back up StudentOwl's argument, it is also worth noting that other clubs e.g. Barnsley and Huddersfield etc., seem to have done significantly better than us identifying and then nurturing potential talent. This is one area that we really could do with being better at.

34 minutes ago, Brando17 said:

and worst of all Nuhui,good post

At least get his name right if you're going to (incorrectly) include him in that list. 

A freebie striker who helped us consolidate in this league before DC arrived is hardly an example of poor scouting.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

At least get his name right if you're going to (incorrectly) include him in that list. 

A freebie striker who helped us consolidate in this league before DC arrived is hardly an example of poor scouting.

This has gotten me thinking about some of the different names that Nuhiu has been called by TV commentators, and fans (respectable ones that is).....

Big Dave

Aunties New Shoes

Nahoowa

Newey

Noohoo

Nahoowee

Noowa

Big Atty

And of course, the correct pronunciation.... Noooheeooo!

Just saying. lol