Lewis McGugan

38 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

He's on his last big contract from what I hear - There are 3 or 4 champ sides after him, the biggest being Derby, but i've got my money (well, pretend money) on Burton.  The story goes McGugan wants a season as a guaranteed starter to gain another decent final contract to see his playing days out.

At a club like Derby, McGugan gets no guarantees and indeed isn't good enough compared to what is already at the club to even think he'll get anything more than a bit part.

Sums him up in a nutshell, wants another payday

He couldn't be less of a Nigel Clough player if he tried. He could go there but soon find himself sat on his fat arse again

1 hour ago, Bodhidharma said:

Hasn't played for so long it's hard to imagine him being at the standard required.

Should have moved on well before this but more bothered about his wage packet than playing football.  

Bit like me then I go to work for the money, nothing else as I'm sure you do aswell. 

50 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Let's face it he has no intention of leaving until his ridiculous contract is up...in the real world he would have been sacked at least a year ago. About time the lawyers got involved for me. If I failed to perform I'd be out next month

What? 

Worst one yet

lol

As a footballer there is no doubting Lewis McGugan is a great player at this level. I was delighted when we signed him permanently but at the same time I never felt he was a Carlos player and I don't believe for a second Carlos wanted to sign him in the first place but the deal was already in principal prior to his arrival and they probably didn't want to ruin a decent relationship with Watford. I don't know if it was him or not that refused to play in a certain position but all the evidence points that way, one thing that is 100% on him though is the way he conducts himself in terms of playing in the U23's and training hard. At the very least it might get him on the radar of a few clubs. If he knew he was not in the plans for last season(which is a fair assumption I think) why did it take him until March to request an U23 game? Why does he not want to play football? Is the money we're paying him that good that he'd rather sit and rot for however long until his contract is up rather than earn similar money doing what he is more than capable of doing which is playing football and scoring and assisting goals?

3 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

I don't think any of us know the full story of what has happened with McGugan.  Hopefully we will get to know Lewis's viewpoint once he has moved but I hop we get to hear Carlos' as well

What are you looking for...Carlos asked him to play a role, he didn't fancy the job. End of story ! let it rest.

3 hours ago, handworth52 said:

Never get any of this Lewis bashing .who in there right mind on 16k a wk would go elsewhere for a lot less wages ,it was clubs stupid mistake to sign him and then not play him like quite a few others.if he wasn't banished from squad his fitness would be a lot higher Hense a lot easier to offload in transfer windows ,fair chance he be here all season unless club gives him a massive payoff.

I agree about the Mcgugan bashing on here, but to say its the clubs mistake is not right. The club signed him because he's a very capable player and had a good loan with us prior to signing.

Once he'd signed, Carlos asked McGugan to play the attacking midfield role (which many on here including me thought he would be very capable and willing to play) and he refused.

That lead to CC being pi55ed off with him and, I imagine, a bit of a stand off between the two. Only one winner there...

A strange situation and a real waste of a good player but in my opinion the club haven't done anything particularly wrong.

I've spoken to a couple of players dad's I know and there sons and other players get on with mcgugan and don't know why he has been frozen out,mcgugan and fessi also gave the 2 of the largest donations to the cancer appeal for coaches missus .it's all rumour what's been said on here about attitude no10 role etc , only Carlos knows the real reason but we will never get any info out of him about anything. Can see abdi and 1-2 others this season in similar position frozen out and contract too good that no else will take it on for a player what would be miles away from been match fit.a player is like a car , house you don't look after it and it's value depresiates very quickly in mcgugans case that we need to pay him upto 500k to get him to leave he is on 18k a wk 900k a year.

7 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

Bit like me then I go to work for the money, nothing else as I'm sure you do aswell. 

I can quite honestly say I am not interested in money other than to cover my basic needs. 

In his position I would have compromised to play.  

15 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Why send em McGugan then?

So he can play full time minutes in a team that plays attacking football. If he does well there, bangs in the goals, assists etc then he is on the shop window in January for other clubs to take a punt at him. He's currently worth £0 if he sits in the stands and doesn't play. At least he is kind of local playing at Barnsley and doesn't have to find a new house or anything.

On 14/07/2017 at 22:00, handworth52 said:

Never get any of this Lewis bashing .who in there right mind on 16k a wk would go elsewhere for a lot less wages ,it was clubs stupid mistake to sign him and then not play him like quite a few others.if he wasn't banished from squad his fitness would be a lot higher Hense a lot easier to offload in transfer windows ,fair chance he be here all season unless club gives him a massive payoff.

This100%. What other chairman would allow a manager to effectively freeze out a player reportedly on 750k a year? It's completely nuts. CC is surely the most indulged manager in the Championship (and beyond)...