Carlos says......

Lots of quality in that squad but one thing that is missing is pace. Pace in any team is a dangerous things to move you forwards fast and the counter and is the thing that defenders hate defending against. Really hope we address this too. 

2 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

Maybe he will play FF out wide most of the season? not out an out pace but defenders hate it when he runs at them,

Reach no slouch either. 

Just like CC doesnt like the beast in CM, i think fast wingers going on the outside isnt something he is crazy about either. got a feeling FF and Reach will alternate on the left, looking to really go at their RB. with Boyd and Wallace sharing RM but playing much narrower allowing Hunt to overlap. 

If we dont bring another wide player in (not forgetting Matias) and go with the above, i wont mind that..

as long as we dont see BB, Abdi or Lee out wide all season we will do well.

Ok. I can accept that. If it is the way CCis thinking then I hope the centre-halves we recruit are top class "footballers" that have the ability to pass are carry the ball out from the back. 

11 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

We struggled in certain games last season and one of the main reasons for that imo is because we don't have a great deal of pace to catch teams on the counter attack. I really hope we address that before the season starts. 

Yep. 

Thing is if you don't have any pace, some sort of outlet, then you can find yourself dropping deeper and deeper, unable to get out. 

Think of the difference it would have made against 'Udders in those last twenty minutes if we'd had someone who could carry the ball halfway up the pitch. 

Edited by SiJ

25 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Is ff a striker ?

big Dave barely going to play

Joao will be surely allowed to leave on loan.

thats 4 

Carlos plays FF as striker. 

So you are back up to 5.

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Yep. 

Thing is if you don't have any pace, some sort of outlet, then you can find yourself dropping deeper and deeper, unable to get out. 

Think of the difference it would have made against 'Udders in those last twenty minutes if we'd had someone who could carry the ball halfway up the pitch. 

Why did you have to edit that, I had a joke lined up. grrr

Bringing pace into the squad is one thing, bringing it in with also an end product is another, which will cost a hell of a lot of money. I personally think we will do fine with the wingers we've got, My only gripe is we need to play at a higher tempo from the off especially at home e.g. Norwich last season.

Guest wilyfox

When did centre-halves become so fookin' expensive anyway?! They're the least talented outfield players on the pitch. 

Carlos doesn't see a box to box midfielder, or wide men with pace as essential, certainly not for the way we play. We look to block and congest the midfield and that doesn't necessitate speed or strong running

36 minutes ago, mr owl said:

Current first team squad. Is it more ready??

Westwood 

Wildsmith 

Dawson

Palmer

Hunt

Lees

Loovens 

Pudil

Fox

Wallace

Boyd

Bannan

Lee

Jones

Abdi 

Hutch

Reach

Matias 

Joao

Nuhiu

Rhodes

Hooper 

Fessi 

Fletcher 

Winnall

I think there's a few youngsters knocking on door too, Hirst Penney O'Grady and one or two others can be added to the list. 

Is the pace thing more about our style of play though? In 2015/16 we didn't have any real speed merchants but we always seemed to break away quickly and play quick, exciting football. If you just watch the highlights from our games from that year the difference to 2016/17 is quite striking, despite largely the same personnel.

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Carlos doesn't see a box to box midfielder, or wide men with pace as essential, certainly not for the way we play. We look to block and congest the midfield and that doesn't necessitate speed or strong running

Not sure that's entirely true. On many occasions he called upon Helan during his first season. The loans of Buckley and McManaman also suggest he wanted direct ball-carriers in wide areas.