Carlos says......

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, Southie_Owl said:

What's JJ up to these days? 

Probably still quicker than anything we've got. 

8 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

It would alarming if someone with Carlos' knowledge of football can't see that pace is needed as an option. Even if it's just from the bench. 

Lets hope him saying we just need 2 CB's is a smoke screen 

I imagine Cc was implying that 2 centre back's are more important first off, then address other areas.

39 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Not sure that's entirely true. On many occasions he called upon Helan during his first season. The loans of Buckley and McManaman also suggest he wanted direct ball-carriers in wide areas. 

I think we played a slightly different way in that first season As for Buckley and McManaman, he rarely used them, and then only as a last resort. It's a bit confusing, because if he got the central pairing right, he could play more direct wingers

8 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

I can't see Matias playing much to be fair unless it's from bench . Surely ff out wide with Wallace / Boyd on the other ? If we aren't going to sign another wide man. 

What makes you think he will play FF wide?

He barely did last year, and now we have Boyd.

Guest wilyfox
Just now, gurujuan said:

I think we played a slightly different way in that first season As for Buckley and McManaman, he rarely used them, and then only as a last resort. It's a bit confusing, because if he got the central pairing right, he could play more direct wingers

Do you feel we need two centre-halves with Lees, Loovens, and Hutchinson current options. 

5 minutes ago, RedSoxOwl said:

Is the pace thing more about our style of play though? In 2015/16 we didn't have any real speed merchants but we always seemed to break away quickly and play quick, exciting football. If you just watch the highlights from our games from that year the difference to 2016/17 is quite striking, despite largely the same personnel.

When Joao played in that season we counter attacked a few times successfully using his pace.  If only he was more consistent and a better finisher, he would be an ideal second half substitute as teams are tiring.  I still think with  the right coaching and a positive attitude he could be an asset.

40 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Do you feel we need two centre-halves with Lees, Loovens, and Hutchinson current options. 

I don't, I'm sold on Hutchinson as a central defender. I think he has the potential to be better than Lees in the same role. Might cause a few selection headaches, but they are two quality options for one position

Guest wilyfox
Just now, gurujuan said:

I'm looking at Forestieri sharing the number ten role with Hooper

Me too. Not convinced FF would be happy farmed outwide consistently. He needs to play between the lines. He is a second-striker - our Sanchez. 

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I don't, I'm sold on Hutchinson as a central defender. I think he has the potential to be better than Lees in the same role. Might cause a few selection headaches, but they are two quality options for one position

Two CBs is overkill, for me. Overloading one position ignoring flaws in others - especially if they're costly. 

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

If Rhodes and hooper are fit surely they play up top ? 

Hooper often isn't fit. 

39 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Two CBs is overkill, for me. Overloading one position ignoring flaws in others - especially if they're costly. 

Yes I agree, one is sufficient, preferably someone who is comfortable on the left, and brings aerial ability, and leadership to the back line. Then Hutchinson competes with Lees for the right side slot. We'd be very lucky to find a better right sided centre back than Hutchinson

Just now, wilyfox said:

All about opinions but for me we do need 2 CB's. Sasso has left and we needed 1 when he was here. 

Hutch can't be relied on to stay fit long enough, CB is a position you don't want to be changing too often and he'll be used in midfield anyway imo. Loovens is getting older and slows our play down the most, he will take a backseat this season if we get the CB we really want. 

Imo we need a quality CB to partner Lees and a "sasso" type CB (maybe from abroad again?) as another back up.