Wallace - needs to earn a new contract

I don't think he'll be offered another deal, if we are promoted he won't be, if we aren't it only goes to show positions we should have strengthened including his own, he's been decent but certainly not as important to the team as people try to make out .

Guest wilyfox

Right decision to wait. Will be 33 next summer, and didn't perform well first half of last season. Only perked up in January. From then on he was excellent. See how he fares...

Think it's prudent and used as an incentive - Wallace doesn't seem like one to get face on, think he'll push himself to be a regular.

As others have said though, a contract isn't a bonus, if he's good enough next year then give him a contract, if not then don't.

His contract runs to the end of next season by which time he will be 33. He''s obviously trying to get a new contract to tie him to the club til he'at least 34.

Can't blame him for trying but quite rightly the club aren't falling for this. 

Not many 34 year old wingers still playing in the Championship.

Guest mkowl
1 hour ago, helmut_rooster said:

32's hardly mid-30's lol

Just making all those in their early 30's on here feel they are getting old 

Ross seems to have upped his game every time there was potential competition for his place. It is under threat again and I think it is encouragement to raise his game again rather than a threat but clearly if he rarely plays this season, a renewal of his contract is unlikely.

Ross Wallace to score from outside the area

This bet has been my staple diet for games over the last few seasons!

More this season please Ross!

Money.

I think is very shrewd.  

Sign Boyd for competition, tell Wallace in his last season that if he plays well, he'll get an extension. This in turn, will push Boyd also.  Wallace has been around the block long enough to understand it.  Great man management and increases motivation.  

Edited by Suzuki_San

None of them should be getting new contracts at this stage, it's ridiculous. 

That said, if Wallace is performing upto Christmas, I wouldn't have any issue with the club giving him a 1 year extension before January. 

He seems highly thought of with you, like he was with us. He's a good player this Level. Only concern I'd have is his age, 32 means we doesn't have the turn of pace anymore, has to rely more on his experience,

How long has he been at your club for? He's been a great servant.

Hope he goes up with you - Never got a proper chance with us under Keane in the Premiership.

Edited by SunderlandfanMark