Wallace - needs to earn a new contract

4 hours ago, paddyowl said:

He's been one of our most consistant players over the last 2 seasons and IMO has earned at least another year.

I think you're looking through some rose tinted glasses mate... the first 6 months of last season he was a non-entity. Overlooking that, however, he has been very consistent and solid and no doubt one of the main reasons we've reached the play-offs two years in a row. Whether he has as much of a role to play beyond this season remains to be seen... but he's going to be an important part of the 18 man squad this season no doubt

4 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

In fairness I think Wallace has done more to earn a new contract than Nuhiu and Semedo did when they got there contracts.

Exactly what I thought.  Has contributed a lot more than those two put together

4 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I get what you're saying - Just feel that standard contracts are not there to be used like bonus's. Hes done great - that was part of the original contract or plan though isn't it? I'd not be against it being used as a carrot, written into a contract like you see, in terms of achieve X and we deliver Y  Be that play XXX minutes, assist/score XXX goals etc. That way everyone knows before what the situation is. 

As at the moment my take is it's a bit unclear as he feels he deserves one. CC has said he needs to earn one... If he plays at the same level and we get promoted to you think we'll give him an extension? I'd guess not.  

Its not a question that can really be aswered by us fans.

We don't know what level of investment DC is going to be at, if he throws the kitchen sink at it then Wallace will be gone BUT I don't think that will happen I think he'd be a good squad player so I'd keep him.

It's all "ifs" and "whats" at the minute. We don't even know how heavy we're going to go in this close season yet.

17 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I think you're looking through some rose tinted glasses mate... the first 6 months of last season he was a non-entity. Overlooking that, however, he has been very consistent and solid and no doubt one of the main reasons we've reached the play-offs two years in a row. Whether he has as much of a role to play beyond this season remains to be seen... but he's going to be an important part of the 18 man squad this season no doubt

I've only got my reading glasses mate lol

35 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Wallace has been an unsung hero mostly yet one of Carlos' first pick choices. Maybe we would be in the Prem already if he hadn't limped off after 5 mins in the 2nd leg of play offs (or if CC had elected to choose Buckley or McManaman to sit on bench)

Not sure how Carlos will deploy him this coming season, with Boyd, Forestieri, Reach and Matias all in contention for wide roles, and perhaps more additions to come, but as you say, he'll hopefully make a significant contribution as part of the squad

Can't see him being a Wednesday first team player in 2018-19, whatever division we're in, nor that he'd go to another club that could end up punishing us. As much as I admire the player, I'd not give him a new contract. Wednesday hold all the cards here, not the player

I hope Wallace features less this season never mind after that.

He is a good footballer, great delivery from set pieces but lacks the athleticism and power to get up and down the flank.

If we are going to continue with 442 then we need midfielders capable of both helping the defence , winning second balls and getting forward to support the strikers. Just don't think Wallace is up to it.

5 hours ago, paddyowl said:

I would, if we're promoted and he's not deemed good enough for the PL then at least he'd command a transfer fee (Something nominal would recoup his contract) then there's a thing called loyalty to a player who has performed well for the last 2 years.

If we don't manage promotion he's still a good squad player IMO.

Loyalty for someone who has performed well for 2 years?

Jesus

Can't see a problem with this. If Wallace has a good season he should be rewarded with a new contract.  No point renewing it now as it's very unlikely another club will pinch him from us at the end of the year, and it should keep Wallace hungry.

9 hours ago, ANDY said:

Head coach Carlos Carvalhal has challenged Sheffield Wednesday winger Ross Wallace to earn a new contract.

The 32-year-old’s current deal lasts until the summer of 2018. Wallace, a free-transfer recruit, has helped the Owls secure back-to-back play-off finishes, racking up 93 appearances. 

“I’ve been here two years and played an awful lot of games,” Wallace told The Star. 

“I think I have done a good job and will be looking to continue that in pre-season. I have helped create and score goals and linked up well with the strikers. 

“As soon as I came here, I felt part of things and it just felt right. The fans took to me right away.  

Obviously, you have a few moaners and groaners but the majority of the fans have been right behind me and it feels the right place to be playing my football.  

“I’m enjoying it and I’m enjoying working with the manager.  

“We have a good bunch of players and a great opportunity to achieve something. All the boxes have been ticked. 

“If the club were to offer me another contract, I would snap their hands off. 

“I have spoken to the manager about it. He wants me to have another season playing like I have done in the last two years. If I do that, I will get another extension on my contract. In the meantime, the club won’t be giving me a new contract.” 

Wednesday have added to their wing options by bringing in George Boyd, but Wallace added: “I believe in my ability and quality. Personally, I think I have done enough in the last two years to achieve another contract but you have to respect the manager’s opinion. 

“I’m happy enough and I enjoy working under the manager.”

I take it he reads Owlstalk lol

Excellent level headed statements from an under rated player (bloke near us hates him!).  He's enjoying his football, being paid well and is a more than decent player.  He's scored some memorable goals (v Arsenal, v Huddesrsfield this year, Fulham last). His early injury in the playoffs disrupted our plans.  Plays with a smile too, pretty unusual these days.  Having said all that I think this will be his final season with us.

3 hours ago, paddyowl said:

WTF ?

So playing well for 2 years does'nt warrent loyalty ?

No it doesn't.  2 years is nothing. He doesn't deserve a new deal just because he's played well for 2 years. 

7 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I hope Wallace features less this season never mind after that.

He is a good footballer, great delivery from set pieces but lacks the athleticism and power to get up and down the flank.

If we are going to continue with 442 then we need midfielders capable of both helping the defence , winning second balls and getting forward to support the strikers. Just don't think Wallace is up to it.

Pretty much this in a nutshell. Has no pace to take someone on & go past them, & can't kick the ball with his right foot. Not discounting his contributions in the past, but has his limitations. Dangle the carrot & he might up his game & maintain it.

In the business end of the season he came into his own...whether he will make it into the Prem is debateable cos' the players we sign from herein will have to be able to make that step up...so CC is right he'll have to show he can step up

Guest We Shall Overcome

I have got nothing against Ross Wallace nice lad, but if he gets another Contract with Wednesday we will still be in this league in 2025.

16 hours ago, paddyowl said:

He's been one of our most consistant players over the last 2 seasons and IMO has earned at least another year.

He was a superb signing. Age not on his side now. See how things pan out this season.

16 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

In fairness I think Wallace has done more to earn a new contract than Nuhiu and Semedo did when they got there contracts.

Fair comment but did they deserve their contracts in the first place? If Wallace performs well  I'm sure he'll get an extra year from what is being said, if he doesn't it's unlikely he'll improve next year and so he won't be offered an extension. Seems reasonable to me.