You can only sign one player

I don't like these pretend threads generally because it means prioritising positions, it makes me realise that other than up top we are pretty short of options all over.

Therefore I won't play to the rules, but I will give my opinion on what we need:

CB - We need another CB, a partner for Lees, mid to late 20s, knows the Championship.

CM - We are too nice in the middle of the park, a Danny Williams type player would be a great addition.

LM - Reach is not creative enough, we need a pace option that will run at a fullback.

RM - See LM.

LB - Pudil was a huge disappointment last season, Fox is a decent back up.

5 players minimum, all experienced and quality first team players.

I don't think one player alone could make such a difference. As we need to strengthen a few areas around our key players, and add some power, pace and dynamism. For instance if we just get a centre back, we would still lack pace, we would still be lop-sided and have players out of position covering our full backs. And the same goes if we only get just one full back or just one box to box midfielder or a winger, etc.

We need a few players not just one. It's tough to pick just one reasonably realistic target. I have been championing a few all summer for example at centre back the likes of Daniel Ayala and Tomas Kalas; full back: Bryan, midfield: Jackson Irvine or Ben Osborn, wing/attacking midfield: Tom Lawrence or Callum Robinson.

It's hard to prioritise just one position over others that also need strengthening. But if I had to pick just one reasonably realistic player to improve us I would have to go for box to box midfielder Jackson Irvine.

8 hours ago, shandypants said:

It's let's pretend time. 

Carlos has had a change of heart and headed to Portugal. You are friends with young Att Chansiri on FIFA and based upon your (known to him but also limited) Championship Manager skills, he has persuaded his Dad to appoint you as the new SWFC manager. 

Mr Chansiri tells you that, other than Jordan Rhodes, you can sign only one player. That player has to be a sensible acquisition - you can't sign a Ronaldo, a Messi or even a first team Premier League player but equally, you should set your sights higher than a Billy Sharp. 

So who is your one player to improve the team? Describe that player or even name him. 

Can we play pass the parcel after, then maybe musical chairs before we have jelly and ice cream?