Sheffield Wednesday, black and mixed race players

1 minute ago, 2soon said:

Haven't read the whole thread but we haven't produced any players recently bar palmer. We tried to sign Austin last year and rumours are looking at a South African. We have a couple of players that fit your question but aren't good enough. Recently we have had Helen, jj, small, antiono, Clarke etc, we have Thai owners. 

Not it sure what your point is really

Simple really, I just wondered why we are/have been underrepresented by players/fans of black and mixed race, compared to pretty much every similar placed club There is no agenda, just an observation of what is a strange anonomaly 

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

This is a sensitive topic, but one that I hope we can discuss rationally, without kneejerk reactions. As a club, we don't really reflect the multi cultural society we live in, either in terms of personnel, or even the fan base. Do we think these statistics are linked? Nowadays, the make up of the average city based club is, according to statistics, around 32% black or mixed race per average first team squad. In youth football, I haven't seen the statistics, but I would imagine the percentage would be higher

We fall short, well short, in both the make up of the first team squad, and the players who have academy contracts. I'm not suggesting there is anything malevolent going on, but it's a surprising stat nonetheless. Is this just an anominaly, or are we missing a trick when it comes to youth recruitment. Our city neighbours aren't much better, but have in recent times, produced the likes of Walker, Naughton, and more recently Calvin-Lewis. I have no idea whether this is reflected in the make up of people who watch them, but I've long thought that, without any real role models, we struggle to attract many black/mixed race fans. Of course, colour or creed doesn't really matter, but football should, and generally does, reflect what's happening in society

I dont care what colour a player is as long as he is good enough to play for us. 

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

And that's the way it should be Trev, but there is a question to be asked, why don't we produce black and mixed race players, when virtually every other big city club does. Even a club like Norwich do better on that score

There really is no question to be asked here. Do we don't have many black or mixed race players, big deal?

It really doesn't mean anything and it really doesn't matter.

A players skin colour is irrelevant and only becomes an issue when someone makes it an issue.

I have to admit to having a look around when at a game or when crowds photo's are published to see how diverse our support is. Women are well represented but I must admit to being a little disappointed in the Asian and Black people who attend, surely we can do better. 

4 minutes ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

I have to admit to having a look around when at a game or when crowds photo's are published to see how diverse our support is. Women are well represented but I must admit to being a little disappointed in the Asian and Black people who attend, surely we can do better. 

Couldn't give a rats arse if the crowd was 100% white, or like a Musical Youth concert. 

4 hours ago, Mickjj said:

Talked about this a few times last season when we often fielded an all white starting 11. Not because it was bad or good, just the fact that you dont see it very often in todays game.

Don't want to get involved in the discussion except to say that I'm sure the club want ANYONE who is good enough and fits into a necessary role. Football is one of the few things that are truly based on merit. Height, weight, colour, religion, age, nationality,connections, class, language are of no consequence. I'd go as far as to say the so called "coaching badges" are useless too. We remember someone who had em all, but was clueless :wacko:. Alf Ramsey and Brian Clough didn't have any.

Many times last season I too commented on the above, again on the basis that it's not seen very often, if at all.

I think it's something we need to look at When you look at the success a lot of our rivals have had bringing through black and mixed race kids, it seems we could be missing a trick It's just not credible to imagine none are good enough for our academy 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Simple really, I just wondered why we are/have been underrepresented by players/fans of black and mixed race, compared to pretty much every similar placed club There is no agenda, just an observation of what is a strange anonomaly 

Under Dave Jones, I can remember we had 10 players in a game who were black/mixed race.

I had no problem then and I have no problem now with 11 white players.

To be honest the last thing I think about when I go to Wednesday matches is what colour each players skin is because to me it's completely irrelevant. We could have a team full of white players, black players, ginger players, gay players....etc doesn't matter as long as they are good enough.

As for fans most of the Asian or black guys I know who come from Sheffield only a couple support Wednesday, none support united and the majority support Man United,  Arsenal or Liverpool. No idea why that is or if it is a realistic average of non white Sheffielders or just random relating to the people I know.

End of the day no matter where we are from or what our beliefs are when we are on a football pitch we all have the same goal, to beat the team infront of us.

14 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think it's something we need to look at When you look at the success a lot of our rivals have had bringing through black and mixed race kids, it seems we could be missing a trick It's just not credible to imagine none are good enough for our academy 

Yeah I remember man uniteds famous youth cup team that all went onto the first tam and won everything, the nevilles, scholes, butt, beckham, giggs etc, all amazing mixed race or black players.oh wait, they wernt, because it isnt about the colour of the person, nor their nationality, its how good they are. Our academy is the best we have had for a long time, why, because we are actually spending money on it, and its taken 4 years and will take longer. Seriously, you post some utter crap, but, this has to be the biggest yet, when our nder 18s finished 2nd in their league and our under 23s won their league and the whole bloody thing