Sheffield Wednesday, black and mixed race players

A lot of children start supporting Wednesday because of their parents or grandparents. Their may be less young black children starting watching as less of their parents went. This might be because they didnt start when they were younger because racism used to be more of an issue. It will probably just take time. 

Edited by flo

3 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Yeah I remember man uniteds famous youth cup team that all went onto the first tam and won everything, the nevilles, scholes, butt, beckham, giggs etc, all amazing mixed race or black players.oh wait, they wernt, because it isnt about the colour of the person, nor their nationality, its how good they are. Our academy is the best we have had for a long time, why, because we are actually spending money on it, and its taken 4 years and will take longer. Seriously, you post some utter crap, but, this has to be the biggest yet, when our nder 18s finished 2nd in their league and our under 23s won their league and the whole bloody thing

Err Ryan Giggs, anyway that was the olden days Too many of you old fookers stuck in the past

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Err Ryan Giggs, anyway that was the olden days Too many of you old fookers stuck in the past

even if thats the case, our under 18s finished 2nd, and our under 23s won their league, and the whole league. 

3 minutes ago, flo said:

A lot of children start supporting Wednesday because of their parents or grandparents. Their may be less young black children starting watching as less of their parents went. This might be because they didnt start when they were younger because racism used to be more of an issue. It will probably just take time. 

With respect, wouldn't that be the same for all similarly placed teams

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I disagree, walk around Sheffield, our crowds don't reflect the local population

Not sure what other peoples experiences are but I have found that Asian people tend to follow the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool instead of the club they live closest to. People can of course choose to support or follow whoever they want to but it would be interesting to find out why a lot of BAME do not support their local club.

3 minutes ago, Mackem_Muffdiver said:

Not sure what other peoples experiences are but I have found that Asian people tend to follow the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool instead of the club they live closest to. People can of course choose to support or follow whoever they want to but it would be interesting to find out why a lot of BAME do not support their local club.

well speaking as someone who lives in Manchester, hardly anyone, regardless of nationality supports man u, most support city, and a fair few of teams like bolton, preston etc, I swear most united fans have never even been to manchester

In terms of the first team it just a reflection of how carlos likes to play he only looks to sign technically gifted players who can keep possession and stereotype or not most black players who make it professionally tend to be great athletes. If their great athletes and technically gifted then their out of our league. Thats why we end up with players like bannan, lee rhodes etc technically gifted but not physically equipped to play in the prem.

As for the fans as has been said its a heritage thing if you have no family ties to the club you tend to drift towards the glamour clubs and you see this alot with young lads whose parents have no historical ties to english clubs. It would be interesting to know if the club has ever done much to try and court these fans though from a business point of view you'd think it'd make sense.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Simple really, I just wondered why we are/have been underrepresented by players/fans of black and mixed race, compared to pretty much every similar placed club There is no agenda, just an observation of what is a strange anonomaly 

It would be weirder if the average was made up of the same numbers at every single club.

Where's the evidence that we have been underrepresented by black players?

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

It would be weirder if the average was made up of the same numbers at every single club.

Where's the evidence that we have been underrepresented by black players?

Sure, that would be weird The evidence, based on the last few years, is that we aren't seeing the same racial mix that we are seeing at other clubs It isn't a huge issue, but it is worthy of debate. 

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Thats not what Im saying though, I don't believe the club has any sort of agenda, and although we have a few racist fans, that probably just reflects society as a whole

I understand that's not what you intended to say but by saying it, it is implied.

The only way to redress the balance would be to choose players by their skin colour and not their footballing ability.

We could get rid of FF and replace him on the wing with Helan.

Would that be fair to FF?

I watched the France England game most of the French players were black I assume because they were the most in form French players on the day and not because it represented the ethnic balance in France.

Is this topic  for real? In last 2  seasons black or mixed race players that come to mind. Helan, sougou, semedo, emanuelson, palmer. SWFC have always had their share of black/mixed race players through  the last 25  years that i have been going to games. Ur post has got no substance what so ever! Not that race/creed, religion should make any difference at all!

22 minutes ago, Hawkowl said:

I understand that's not what you intended to say but by saying it, it is implied.

The only way to redress the balance would be to choose players by their skin colour and not their footballing ability.

We could get rid of FF and replace him on the wing with Helan.

Would that be fair to FF?

I watched the France England game most of the French players were black I assume because they were the most in form French players on the day and not because it represented the ethnic balance in France.

Well I'm not talking about redressing the balance, quotas or otherwise. I have no problem with the ethnic mix of our side, or how they are selected One of the previous posters made the point about the type of player Carlos prefers, so that has some effect on the first team squad It's probably more at youth level where you notice the disparity Again, another poster suggested that we perhaps had neglected the inner city talent pool, but now that was being rectified Maybe we have been a little bit behind with all aspects of youth recruitment, but it does seem things are starting to change As for the topic, I think it's a perfectly reasonable topic for debate It's only the usual suspects who will try and turn it into something personal

Edited by gurujuan

23 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Sure, that would be weird The evidence, based on the last few years, is that we aren't seeing the same racial mix that we are seeing at other clubs It isn't a huge issue, but it is worthy of debate. 

So basically this season and last season, more or less? Not really the biggest sample. Go back a three or four years and we had loads of black players.

Just now, Sonny said:

So basically this season and last season, more or less? Not really the biggest sample. Go back a three or four years and we had loads of black players.

No, I'm basing it on the last five years which includes the era you are talking about We have never had loads of black players, particularly at youth level

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

Exactly. Under Dave Jones in 2013, the side was full of blacks/mixed race. Dave preferred physical, athletic and fast players and as a consequence this may be the reason behind his recruItment.  Under Carlos, he has a completely different approach and therefore we have more white players. We probably couldn't afford black/mixed race players now who are technically very good as they will probably out of our price range.