Abdi linked with Fulham move

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Carlos has used him in two ways.

Six games as a RM or LM - Pl. 6. W2. D1. L3

Four games in CM - Pl 4. W1. D1. L2

Ten games is not a big sample, but thats a simply awful set of results compared to the rest of our season. 11 points from 10 games. 

Not the player we thought we were buying? 

Wrong to use him wide or in a central two? 

Not particularly tough oppos. I used the games where he played at least 45 minutes - Villa H, Norwich, Burton, Leeds twice, Brentford H, Wigan H, Brum, Cardiff, Forest. 3 aways, 7 homes.

Subbed at HT in 3.

Subbed 60-65 minutes in 4.

Subbed 75 minutes once.

Played 90 minutes in 2. (First two games of the season)

Abdi ideally needs to play for a team that uses the 4231 system so he can play in the 3 behind a striker. A bit like a Mikhitarian at Man Utd.  

Sadly i don't think he'll get that kind of role with us and he's better moving on if he doesn't want his career to stall any further 

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He's had surgery on his knee.

I didn't know that - was his last game against Brentford at home? If so, it was his shoulder.

What's the issue with his knee and how long before he's 'back'?

47 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Be a big mistake imo. Still think he will come good for us when played in his correct position for a number of games. 

this for me. he has had bad luck with injury's, I think came with it but wasn't picked up on, but let's not forget when he came he made a big point in his interview about his preferred position and he had spoken to cc and this was where he was going to play but then cc seemed not to play him there and on the wing. I do think he has the potential to rip this league a new ass so I hope he stays. would love to see Lee and abdi in the middle next season WAWAW

Just now, Animis said:

I didn't know that - was his last game against Brentford at home? If so, it was his shoulder.

What's the issue with his knee and how long before he's 'back'?

He started against Leeds a few days later, but hasn't featured since.

I can only assume the knee issue is a more long-standing problem which may have been the root of his struggles all season? Maybe the shoulder injury was a more short-term thing which may have seen him miss a fair chunk of our remaining games anyway and the decision was made to call time on his season and get his knee sorted in time for pre-season?

Fingers crossed, eh?

16 minutes ago, owls_wawaw said:

this for me. he has had bad luck with injury's, I think came with it but wasn't picked up on, but let's not forget when he came he made a big point in his interview about his preferred position and he had spoken to cc and this was where he was going to play but then cc seemed not to play him there and on the wing. I do think he has the potential to rip this league a new ass so I hope he stays. would love to see Lee and abdi in the middle next season WAWAW

I saw nothing to suggest he is better than Bannan in a midfield two.

As others who seem to know him better, perhaps in a midfield 3 he would run matches and score 8-10 goals. But central in a 442 I saw an ok player and nothing more.

If Carlos is thinking some sort of 433 perhaps he should stay, but if it's 442 again then what's the point?

Would like to see more of a fuly fit Abdi for the Owls next season, not allowing him to strengthen a competitor.

Things would have been very different if he Hooper and Lee had remained fully fit all season.

42 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Carlos has used him in two ways.

Six games as a RM or LM - Pl. 6. W2. D1. L3

Four games in CM - Pl 4. W1. D1. L2

Ten games is not a big sample, but thats a simply awful set of results compared to the rest of our season. 11 points from 10 games. 

Not the player we thought we were buying? 

Wrong to use him wide or in a central two? 

Not particularly tough oppos. I used the games where he played at least 45 minutes - Villa H, Norwich, Burton, Leeds twice, Brentford H, Wigan H, Brum, Cardiff, Forest. 3 aways, 7 homes.

Subbed at HT in 3.

Subbed 60-65 minutes in 4.

Subbed 75 minutes once.

Played 90 minutes in 2. (First two games of the season)

The stats at the end tell the story.  He has had two games lasting 90 mins.

How can you judge a players ability based on 45 and an hour here and there?

Its not really a fair assessment of what he can bring. 

He needs a good run in the team in his best position.

Just hope he gets it.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

Just now, Blatter said:

Would like to see more of a fuly fit Abdi for the Owls next season, not allowing him to strengthen a competitor.

Things would have been very different if he Hooper and Lee had remained fully fit all season.

Why would it have been different?

When everyone was fit, Carlos was playing 3CMs (incl Abdi right or left often) and FF up top with either Hooper or Fletch. We were 10th after 18 games.

When Hooper came back we started playing a proper 442 with only two CMs and two proper strikers, and we won every match.

It wasn't injuries. They helped us bizarrely. 

We played players in their best roles - great run.

We played a shoe-horn XI - 10th place form.

5 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Be foolhardy to let him go without actually seeing the real player.

He's never had the chance, both in terms of tactics, and fitness.

I agree a good pre-season behind him and let's see where he's at

7 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Be foolhardy to let him go without actually seeing the real player.

He's never had the chance, both in terms of tactics, and fitness.

Usually think you post a load of ballcocks.  However, you're spot on this time.

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

When everyone was fit, Carlos was playing 3CMs (incl Abdi right or left often) and FF up top with either Hooper or Fletch. We were 10th after 18 games.

When Hooper came back we started playing a proper 442 with only two CMs and two proper strikers, and we won every match.

We didn't play three central midfielders.

:duntmatter:

We played Abdi as a wide midfielder...as he was used to playing in the Premier League.

17 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

The only way this will be broken is if Bannan, Lee or Hutch get sold..

the boards here would go into meltdown but it would probably help CC start to pick a balanced side and finally get the best out of this squad.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

8 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

the boards here would go into meltdown but it would probably help CC start to pick a balanced side and finally get the best out of this squad.

Hutch at CB does the trick.

Glenn can't last forever and it gets us back to having two CMs.

10 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Prefer this, but your point is valid.