We'd Have Got Promoted If...

1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I am not a fan of Carlos and have criticised him on numerous occasions but let's be right here:-

we finished 4th - above Huddersfield.

we played Huddersfield 4 times and won 2 and drew 2.

We scored 4 goals against them and let in 1.

Extremely fine margins this year and we could just be easily come out on the right side of them as the wrong side.

But we didnt , but should have when it mattered most

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I hate the fact Udders have gone up.  They scored an own goal against us and poxed two penalty shootouts.  Makes me sick to my stomach.

Good luck to them, but I think we could see a Premier League record broken next year for lowest points tally ever.

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

13 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I hate the fact Udders have gone up.  They scored an own goal against us and poxed two penalty shootouts.  Makes me sick to my stomach.

Good luck to them, but I think we could see a Premier League record broken next year for lowest points tally ever.

Good luck to them indeed, but I was also thinking this. Some of their best players are loan players. If they struggle to keep these or replace them with better (which they may do now they're in the top flight) then I also think they will struggle. 

We had a golden opportunity and WE , blew it We didn't get beaten and underperformed, if we had performed we would be in the premier. Today brings that stark realization home, next season will be a tough season. 

Wow the overreaction on here never ceases to amaze me! 

I agree we should have had more of a go against Huddersfield! But do you not think their fans would have said that about their home performance had they not ultimately beaten us on penalties! 

It really is fine margins....we lost on penalties! Very unlucky! 

We go again next season and we will be stronger for it!

18 minutes ago, mancowl08 said:

Wow the overreaction on here never ceases to amaze me! 

I agree we should have had more of a go against Huddersfield! But do you not think their fans would have said that about their home performance had they not ultimately beaten us on penalties! 

It really is fine margins....we lost on penalties! Very unlucky! 

We go again next season and we will be stronger for it!

People are having mini breakdowns over this and will have you if you dare to question them.

Someone has to pay for their unhappiness!

Oh how football has changed

14 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

If Big Nige hadn't tapped up Fernando. 

Pearson is dead to me now

this cost us in terms of points and it cost us in terms of style. Carlos saw that he couldn't instill the optimum level of confidence in ff without causing unrest and figured ff at 60% was better than no Fernando at all. I honestly have the opinion that this issue the lost us 20 points and as far as I'm concerned I hope Pearson's next job is at a non league football club, cleaning the sh*thouses.

1 hour ago, debram said:

Lowly udders have upstaged us big time, we should be ashamed really, its not as though they had a big squad or budget, just a good manager and group with big hearts and team work.

Yes we underachieved, but I don't buy that we were upstaged by a team who only managed an own goal in 330 minutes of play offs football. 

It is fair to say we were disappointing, but let's not make out that a team with -2 goal difference and two penalty shootout wins (one they went behind in) has deserved it based on that. An incredible amount of luck carried them.

Edited by Carbone

2 hours ago, BIG D said:

We had finished 5th and played the dog botherers at home first. We would have had a right go at them like we did against Brighton last year and taking a lead to Huddersfield they would never have broken us down. Neither team today had anything about them. Rubbish. 

Next season will be our year, I've never felt more optimistic. 

Doubt it, the way we played in those two legs was a crime against the name of football, it was probably a good thing we didn't go up otherwise Carlos would have thought it was okay to burn our eyes for another season.

2 minutes ago, OzOwl said:

Doubt it, the way we played in those two legs was a crime against the name of football, it was probably a good thing we didn't go up otherwise Carlos would have thought it was okay to burn our eyes for another season.

Would you have said that the way we played was a crime against the name of football if Fletcher (before he scored) and Forestieri (in ET) took their chances?

1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

we finished 4th - above Huddersfield.

Only because they secured their play-off place a couple of weeks before we did which allowed them to rest players.

Congratulations to Huddersfield, I'm genuinely pleased for them. They got promoted playing positive football and got what they deserved. I hope the manner of their success is noted at S6.

2 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Would you have said that the way we played was a crime against the name of football if Fletcher (before he scored) and Forestieri (in ET) took their chances?

And if my Auntie had a blah blah.

That is not the point Huddersfield went up with flair and having a go at sides for most of the season just like we did in Carlos's first season, that is the way i want my team to play the game.

1 minute ago, OzOwl said:

And if my Auntie had a blah blah.

That is not the point Huddersfield went up with flair and having a go at sides for most of the season just like we did in Carlos's first season, that is the way i want my team to play the game.

with -2 goal difference and such an amazing attack scoring less goals than we did, I put it down to unbelievable luck that is comparable with Leicester last season. I say congratulations to them on a ridiculous achievement, but all of the circumstances, not mentioning two penalty shootout wins, going behind in one of them, have fell very nicely for them and we see it so rarely. I think Blackpool were probably the last example of a flukey promotion? It happens. 

Didn't they manage just two shots more on target and only score with an own goal?

They edged it on penalties and just deserved it over the two games.  On one hand people are bigging them up for their swashbuckling season where they pushed the top 2 then saying we should have beat them over 2 games as a given.

Some reyt crybaby, mardyarse brats in our fanbase.....fine margins have been the two words that have been used throughout the season and held true through the playoffs.

Grow the fuckup and show a bit of dignity and basic sportsmanship ffs!

We got done, only just but it happens.  If we had won on penalties and same again today the same folk would be justifying a lottery victory with the same bullshitarrogance.

Cringeworthy on here today from a good few and even worse on social media.

I wish some would just pack it in because it's really showing us up.

2 hours ago, debram said:

Pure tactical failure this season

That's not strictly true.

The season was tactically frustrating for sure but tactical failure does not finish 4th.

Both legs of the playoff were tactical failures, the 1st leg result was good but the tactics were s**t, mainly because it emphasised to Huddersfield how afraid of them CC was, we showed them too much respect and it just fuelled their belief. The 2nd leg was a failure because I truly believe many fans myself included expected us to throw everything at them or at the very least take the game to them. To bow out in the manner that we did is in many ways worse than loosing in the final the year before.

This year we must be more aggressive tactically, hopefully we will see that.

34 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Didn't they manage just two shots more on target and only score with an own goal?

They edged it on penalties and just deserved it over the two games.  On one hand people are bigging them up for their swashbuckling season where they pushed the top 2 then saying we should have beat them over 2 games as a given.

Some reyt crybaby, mardyarse brats in our fanbase.....fine margins have been the two words that have been used throughout the season and held true through the playoffs.

Grow the fuckup and show a bit of dignity and basic sportsmanship ffs!

We got done, only just but it happens.  If we had won on penalties and same again today the same folk would be justifying a lottery victory with the same bullshitarrogance.

Cringeworthy on here today from a good few and even worse on social media.

I wish some would just pack it in because it's really showing us up.

Good post. Realism always welcomed.

Negativity has cost us far too much this season. Play no wingers out wide they're always coming too central and crowding the middle and also lack of pace in the entire squad. 

Also think we have a great array of strikers but none of which are suited to playing with each other. Rhodes Winnall Hooper are the sort of forwards that need a proper target man next to them who is going to do the dirty part of the game and hold up them all and bring players into the game. Don't think we have anyone like that.