We'd Have Got Promoted If...

12 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Agreed.

Nobody is going to convince me that Huddersfield Town have better players than us.

Had we tested their 21 year old reserve keeper in the first leg and had we gone for the kill when we'd just scored at Hillsborough and they were on the ropes then I've no doubt we'd be a Premier League club right now and £170m better off.

The fact that Huddersfield went up without any of their players scoring a single goal and them not winning a match during the playoffs just makes it all the more difficult to swallow.

People can say "move on" all they want but that's how I see it and in my opinion questions need to be asked.

As per the post I've quoted, our failure in the playoffs and us passing up what will surely be the best possible chance we could have got of getting promoted lies squarely with careful Carlos.

They haven't got better players than us. As I've said elsewhere, Mooy apart, you would take ours over theirs any day of the week.

I wasn't too upset that we didn't test their goalie in the first leg; he may have been a reserve but he had a fair amount of league experience and had played in both the cup ties against Man City. But the home game was so overloaded in our favour it was almost unfair; a fierce atmosphere, expectant crowd and I really expected us to take the game to them a la the Norwich match. I reckon a goal to us in the first 15 minutes and they'd have folded; I think that is what Wagner feared as well.

Instead we witnessed one of the most dazzlingly inept attacking performances I can remember. And yet for 75 minutes it was actually under control; we had the lead, they were creating little and the game was just about won. But that is the problem when you exist on small margins; a sub, a momentary lapse of concentration in defence, a slightly fortuitous break and we were done for.

I do feel really pee'd off now that the reality has set in; another 12 months to try it all over again because, quite honestly, I can't see us being in the top two next season. A fantastic opportunity utterly thrown away.

8 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

They haven't got better players than us. As I've said elsewhere, Mooy apart, you would take ours over theirs any day of the week.

I wasn't too upset that we didn't test their goalie in the first leg; he may have been a reserve but he had a fair amount of league experience and had played in both the cup ties against Man City. But the home game was so overloaded in our favour it was almost unfair; a fierce atmosphere, expectant crowd and I really expected us to take the game to them a la the Norwich match. I reckon a goal to us in the first 15 minutes and they'd have folded; I think that is what Wagner feared as well.

Instead we witnessed one of the most dazzlingly inept attacking performances I can remember. And yet for 75 minutes it was actually under control; we had the lead, they were creating little and the game was just about won. But that is the problem when you exist on small margins; a sub, a momentary lapse of concentration in defence, a slightly fortuitous break and we were done for.

I do feel really pee'd off now that the reality has set in; another 12 months to try it all over again because, quite honestly, I can't see us being in the top two next season. A fantastic opportunity utterly thrown away.

Couldn't agree more pal.

This season was a bigger missed opportunity than last year when we made the final in my opinion and like you, I seriously can't see us challenging for the top 2.

I have seen people say get over it and move on but it is the last game we played so not much else Wednesday wise to talk about.

People still discuss on here about things that happened over 20 years ago. Would we have won the league in 1992 if Big Ron in charge? Why did Di Canio leave? So I think the Huddersfield game will take a while to calm down on here.

Still feel a bit frustrated we have a lot more talent in our side then Huddersfield but the tactics were of containment and trying to grind out a result along with seemingly having no plan B after the equaliser.

The Italians have won 4 World Cups containing and being defensive, but if you're going to play that way, you've got to be good at it. It isn't Carlos' natural game, and we haven't the personnel to play it. Only one player out of our back four is top-class at this level, for example. Our strength lies in our forwards, and we should have used them. 'Udders were just lucky that they came up against a team in the semis which didn't play to its strengths.

Premier league is fast becoming a league with teams that are small tin pot clubs with no fan base ...match of the day these days is a bore fest .

Next season we have to look forward to...

Stoke v Wba

Burnley v Huddersfield 

Bournemouth v Watford 

Palace v Southampton 

Brighton v Swansea 

1 minute ago, LoOkOut said:

Premier league is fast becoming a league with teams that are small tin pot clubs with no fan base ...match of the day these days is a bore fest .

Next season we have to look forward to...

Stoke v Wba

Burnley v Huddersfield 

Bournemouth v Watford 

Palace v Southampton 

Brighton v Swansea 

They could say the same of us, at least they are in the prem

Some of the teams in the Premiership may not be big clubs historically but they are there on merit. They got promotion and by hook or by crook they have hung on to their Premiership status. Unfortunately we have been in the doldrums for years.

No point in disparaging the teams in the top flight, we've got to earn our place there. Let's just get the job done.

Personally I'd like to see the word tinpot no longer used on this site. No team in the PL or EFL is tinpot. There are clubs of different sizes, with different fan bases and different histories, some more humble than others. Those playing in the PL are there because they earned it.

I was disappointed we didn't get up this year, but to be honest I was over it within 24 hours. It seems like some people still aren't. It would be great if we could just enjoy the fact that we're currently a respected team that most people expect to learn from this year's near miss and be challenging again next year. We can go into the season confident in our abilities while respectful of everyone else who is trying equally as hard whatever their background. 

7 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Agreed.

Nobody is going to convince me that Huddersfield Town have better players than us.

Had we tested their 21 year old reserve keeper in the first leg and had we gone for the kill when we'd just scored at Hillsborough and they were on the ropes then I've no doubt we'd be a Premier League club right now and £170m better off.

The fact that Huddersfield went up without any of their players scoring a single goal and them not winning a match during the playoffs just makes it all the more difficult to swallow.

People can say "move on" all they want but that's how I see it and in my opinion questions need to be asked.

As per the post I've quoted, our failure in the playoffs and us passing up what will surely be the best possible chance we could have got of getting promoted lies squarely with careful Carlos.

I think there is something to be said about this and our tentative approach which has  in fairness ground us out wins we didnt get previously but has also cost us in some games too. However, looking at the playoff semis, whilst questions can be asked of CC I think there are the following mitigating factors:

- Huddersfields intensity and at times cynical approach is one we have found challenging in other team. I expected more possession to take place in front of us.

- Mindful of the above, we had Hutchinson, Lee and FF playing 120 mins whilst not fully match fit. I don't think we were realistically going to dominate the play as a result of their intensity

- At 1 nil we did push for a second for a ten minute spell but it wasn't to be. We looked leggy in midfield already. Linked to fitness point. 

- Our way of dealing with them was to have Bannan drop deeper and drift around the pitch playing balls from deep. It worked well and Wallace would've been a second headache doing the same thing had he not gone of injured.

- We didn't make the most of set plays, FFs free kick lofted to the keeper summed up the general lack of form and confidence from him. 

In short, I think the tactical approach needs to be reviewed in some games but even with the chosen approach we could've either nicked it 1 nil and hailed a tactical wizard or won in ET or on pens had the big players had the belief. We failed as a collective but also suffered our share of bad luck on the fitness front throughout the season.

Edited by Bluesteel

To the guy saying Huddersfield don't have Better than us?

i would argue tommy smith, Chris Lowe, Christoper Schindler , Arron mooy , izzy brown could get into our team. A starting 11 of

westwood

smith

lees

schindler/hefele

lowe

brown

mooy

lee

ff

rhodes

hooper

that would be some team!

15 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

They completely switched off when they accepted that catching Brighton and Newcastle wasn't a goer and played out the rest of the matches without breaking out of second gear. They would have rested players in more games had they not had their wrists slapped.

That is just rewriting history.

Until 4 matches to go they had to try and keep winning because the top 2 was very much on. This dream went in their 43rd match but they needed to try and win another match to get in the top 6. They achieved this in their 44th match.

They achieved a top 6 spot one match before us. They rested players for their 45th league match only.

The rest is just myth and untrue.

1 hour ago, prowl said:

Some of the teams in the Premiership may not be big clubs historically but they are there on merit. They got promotion and by hook or by crook they have hung on to their Premiership status. Unfortunately we have been in the doldrums for years.

No point in disparaging the teams in the top flight, we've got to earn our place there. Let's just get the job done.

Excellent Post.

7 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

The Italians have won 4 World Cups containing and being defensive, but if you're going to play that way, you've got to be good at it. It isn't Carlos' natural game, and we haven't the personnel to play it. Only one player out of our back four is top-class at this level, for example. Our strength lies in our forwards, and we should have used them. 'Udders were just lucky that they came up against a team in the semis which didn't play to its strengths.

We have no idea what his natural game is. He's played one season expansively and one season negatively. Best of three.

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

We have no idea what his natural game is. He's played one season expansively and one season negatively. Best of three.

Didn't Carlos say when he arrived that he'd rather win 10-9 than one-nil? I took that to mean that by nature he's attack-minded, but he thinks we'll get better results if we're cautious. Mind you, as you say, it's anybody's guess.

Carlos has "adapted to his environment" and won more points with his more controlled style. It doesn't need ripping up it just needs a few tweaks so that we can get on the front foot quickly. That means dominating midfield and having players who can carry the ball up the pitch without worrying about giving the ball away and maintaining the "transition" up the pitch which ultimately slows us down.

11 hours ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

To the guy saying Huddersfield don't have Better than us?

i would argue tommy smith, Chris Lowe, Christoper Schindler , Arron mooy , izzy brown could get into our team. A starting 11 of

westwood

smith

lees

schindler/hefele

lowe

brown

mooy

lee

ff

rhodes

hooper

that would be some team!

So how does having five of their players in a combined eleven fit in with what virtually everyone on here was saying beforehand that we would smash 'em in the play offs?