Wingers/Wide players.... But who?

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I've come to the conclusion that traditional wingers don't fit in with how he wants to play. I would settle for two links up ala Worthington & King and Nilsson and Harkes.

reckon Fox and Reach could be the answer?

37 minutes ago, modboy said:

reckon Fox and Reach could be the answer?

I wonder what the instructions are because we rarely see our wide players try and get in behind the full back. It usually ends with the play coming back inside or backwards. The full backs need protection in front of them whatever we decide.

9 hours ago, basegreenowl said:

McGeady, Macca and Buckley are 'out and out' wingers. Such players have failed under Carlos. 

But the need for pace and service for our stikers needs addressing. One or two chances a game for proven strikers is not the way forward for next season. Maybe the above named players lack strength and team ethic qualities. 

Many cite the need for better quality, more strength and pace.

None of them are strong enough. We need wingers who are physically strong as well as having pace.

Ff aside our strikers aren't pacy for through balls or to run the channels but are dangerous in the box.

They would probably thrive on crosses fairly near to byline, whether mainly lower from around edge of 18 yard box, or mixed height nearer the touchline.

So we need 2 pacy widemen like knockeart/ayite/aluko etc with at least 1 starting who can get in behind, put the ball into danger zones, pass it & get assists n goals.

We might even score on the counter then too, i dont think we hit teams on the break much.

Pace can also allow more space to play by forcing opps to defend deeper and ease the pressure, we seriously lack pace and energy in attack imo

Macca is capable but never got a fair chance or match fit so its hard to say if hes good enough

Reach may as well try to be a good left back crossing on the overlap or box to box centre mid, he'll never beat a man or get a decent cross in with a decent full back in his way at left mid.

Wallace is 32 and plays like a right centre mid so cant be expected to get many assists in open play.

Few full backs can do it all on their own for 90mins for 50ish games and can have wingers to deal with themselves

3 hours ago, macstiffler said:

I would love us to sign loftus-cheek and tom ince also try and get Patrick Roberts from Man City, I also think James tavernier and Kieran tierney are very good full backs from Scotland and may come to championship 

Done well at Celtic ,but there is a gulf in difference between the scottish pub league and the championship. 

Remember , Stevie May looked like Messi whilst playing in Scotland. 

Not a winger as such but I thought Derrick Williams of Blackburn looked a threat going forward from left back. No idea if he's any good defensively but you sometimes get decent players in a relegated side. 

If CC is still reliant on full backs for the width then perhaps the answer is to look at adding pace there.

The lad Smith who Huddersfield had at RB was outstanding for them giving them natural width all game long. Hefele was virtually playing orthodox RB most of the game as Hogg would do what Hutchinson does for us and drop back. I'd say that Smith was their most attacking threat both home and away. 

Unfortunately we are not playing Sensible Soccer on Amateur level. We are playing against good teams with smart managers. Wide players need to do more than dribble. Full backs need to be able to cover the wing front to back. 

15 minutes ago, MuddyFunkster said:

The lad Smith who Huddersfield had at RB was outstanding for them giving them natural width all game long. Hefele was virtually playing orthodox RB most of the game as Hogg would do what Hutchinson does for us and drop back. I'd say that Smith was their most attacking threat both home and away. 

He runs all day long as you say and provides width. But I thought his final ball was often really poor which was a huge relief. I've noticed that if asked, Palmer can do similar as he's a good athletic player but his final cross let's him down and he gets a bit nervy when passed the ball under pressure. 

19 minutes ago, raljex said:

If he played RB against us this season for Forest I thought he was excellent and would be a big improvement. Anyone know how much he'd cost.

He was like a brick wall, a brick wall that kept booting Forestieri 

41 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

Ben Marshall???

;)

Seriously though, has the workrate and defensive qualities required but, most crucially, can cross a ball.

Would love him back, exactly the type of player whose crossing would be a god send for Rhodes.