Wingers/Wide players.... But who?

36 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He runs all day long as you say and provides width. But I thought his final ball was often really poor which was a huge relief. I've noticed that if asked, Palmer can do similar as he's a good athletic player but his final cross let's him down and he gets a bit nervy when passed the ball under pressure. 

Only problem I find with Palmer is that when the ball is lost upfield and he's stranded he really struggles to get back and it's noticeable. Can't say I noticed Smith to struggle defensively against us.

11 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Not Lee, Bannan or Abdi.

Wallace, Nando and Reach.

Dont need another. McGeady, Macca and Buckley, all ex Prem, and none of them better than Nando, Reach or Wallace.

Look how well McGeady has done with regular gametime in a 442 formation at Preston though?

He's had a better season than all our current wingers despite not even being able to make the bench when he was here.

I have no doubt with regular playing time in a formation that works for them, Macca & Buckley could perform to a good level in this league just need to harness their talent. Makes you wonder why these type of players never seem to fit into our team, is CC's rigid 442 alienating the fast, exciting & tricky winger we are desperately crying out for?

11 hours ago, modboy said:

agree, this would work especially with his preferred option of Hutch playing as a very deep CM

Needs full backs who can actually beat a man, cross a ball, and shoot on target

That Portuguese full back who kept getting sent off for Forest looks a good option, especially at home.

Really like the idea of Hutchinson as a lone holding CDM, or the 3rd CB in a 352.

I think Hunt/Reach are both good enough to play the wing back role, they both are incredibly fit, pacey, know how to defend & attack and experienced in this division. With the correct players around them it's a formation change i would be excited about seeing.

I could fantasise about possible formations all day though but just imagine;

Westwood

Lees    Hutchinson   *New CB*

Hunt                                                           Reach

Bannan        Lee

FF/Abdi

Hooper    Rhodes/FF

Edited by Lionel Fessi

I see a lot of you guys asking for Tom Ince to be signed. I'm surprised really, I know he scored 15 goals for us last year from Right Wing. But he's a massive Luxury player. He rarely tracks back for the team. So if you have a poor right back on the pitch then he will get exploited. Also if you have an attacking minded right back on the pitch, then Ince won't be as effective on the ball. He has openly said this season that he prefers Chris Baird at RB instead of Cyrus Christie because Baird doesn't get forward and gives Ince the whole right wing to play with. Where as Christie gets forwards and brings more opposition players with him when Ince has the ball which gives him less room. 

Also Ince would cost a championship team easily £10m+. We don't need to sell but if the right money was put on the table then he'd be yours. 

7 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

I see a lot of you guys asking for Tom Ince to be signed. I'm surprised really, I know he scored 15 goals for us last year from Right Wing. But he's a massive Luxury player. He rarely tracks back for the team. So if you have a poor right back on the pitch then he will get exploited. Also if you have an attacking minded right back on the pitch, then Ince won't be as effective on the ball. He has openly said this season that he prefers Chris Baird at RB instead of Cyrus Christie because Baird doesn't get forward and gives Ince the whole right wing to play with. Where as Christie gets forwards and brings more opposition players with him when Ince has the ball which gives him less room. 

Also Ince would cost a championship team easily £10m+. We don't need to sell but if the right money was put on the table then he'd be yours. 

I'd prefer to buy Christie off you. looks a quality right back, haven't seen him much since the injury though.

6 minutes ago, Bradshaw said:

I'd prefer to buy Christie off you. looks a quality right back, haven't seen him much since the injury though.

Take him for free mate!! I'd drive him there myself. Shockingly poor defensively, Would be much better as a right wing back in a back 5. He can put some good crosses in every now and again but normally his delivery is dire. If you guys were to come in for him, It'd only take £1m-ish.

Edited by RamsPolls

Just now, RamsPolls said:

Take him for free mate!! I'd drive him there myself. Shockingly poor defensively, Would be much better as a right wing back in a back 5. He can put some good crosses in every now and again but normally his delivery is dire. 

I must have watched him on a good game! Just always looked so powerful and direct.

5 minutes ago, Bradshaw said:

I must have watched him on a good game! Just always looked so powerful and direct.

Trust me, He does have his good games... 1 in 10. He is powerful, not so direct though. More tippy toeing round players and then getting a nose bleed when he realises how far up the pitch he got. 

I do think with the players we have 3-5-2 would suit us massively but can't see Carlos switching from it.

I think we need another Antonio, powerful winger with pace that can beat a man and chip in with a few goals.

We lack pace and crossing. 

But we need to upgrade our full backs/wing backs, much more than we need a winger or wingers. I'd bring in a pair of pacey wing backs but if we do bring in a winger, it won't be an out and out winger, it will be an attacking midfielder type. For that reason, someone like Jota would be ideal if we can get him, as long as we also bring in a centre back, 2 wing backs and a midfield beast.

On 24/05/2017 at 22:23, Lionel Fessi said:

Look how well McGeady has done with regular gametime in a 442 formation at Preston though?

He's had a better season than all our current wingers despite not even being able to make the bench when he was here.

I have no doubt with regular playing time in a formation that works for them, Macca & Buckley could perform to a good level in this league just need to harness their talent. Makes you wonder why these type of players never seem to fit into our team, is CC's rigid 442 alienating the fast, exciting & tricky winger we are desperately crying out for?

Really like the idea of Hutchinson as a lone holding CDM, or the 3rd CB in a 352.

I think Hunt/Reach are both good enough to play the wing back role, they both are incredibly fit, pacey, know how to defend & attack and experienced in this division. With the correct players around them it's a formation change i would be excited about seeing.

I could fantasise about possible formations all day though but just imagine;

Westwood

Lees    Hutchinson   *New CB*

Hunt                                                           Reach

Bannan        Lee

FF/Abdi

Hooper    Rhodes/FF

I think Arsenal switched to a 343 yesterday. I can see a few doing this after the success of Chelsea over the year.  I still worry if KL and Bazza are strong enough in the middle together?  It works for Arsenal because Walcott's pace in the front 3 creates space for the other 2. Chelsea have a few who can do that. Do we have anyone who can do that role?  

3 hours ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

I think Arsenal switched to a 343 yesterday. I can see a few doing this after the success of Chelsea over the year.  I still worry if KL and Bazza are strong enough in the middle together?  It works for Arsenal because Walcott's pace in the front 3 creates space for the other 2. Chelsea have a few who can do that. Do we have anyone who can do that role?  

Callum Mcmanaman.  Oh wait a minute 

:duntmatter:

6 hours ago, kingsidney said:

Do we want wingers or do we want massive upgrades on the wing backs? 

Good question - better wing backs would certainly help. However, think we need a winger who can make something happen on the counter or if the full backs are pinned back. There is very little flair in our team (FF) and only BB adds a bit of creativity with his delivery from edge of the area.