55 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Has that not been the main problem this season tho?

"keeps it simple"

"Unspectacular"

We need more than "Unspectacular" and "keeping it simple" Don't we?

Yes we do, that's what Banan, Wallace, Reach, FF are there for but we also need a calm and steady head in there. 

Too many times we've lost possession cheaply and jones isn't the player to do that, he's a different option to Lee and Banan. 

6 hours ago, Kevan said:

Jones is only a squad player and in particular he is blatantly one footed, - even more so than Wallace and Bannan.  Ok to help maintain a lead in the last 15 minutes but given all other players being fit, I wouldn't see him in the first eleven.

He was okay to help Burnley win the league, after most of the season for him but for us only good enough for the last 15 minutes of matches?

Typical of most of our signings. Very good player not given a good run in the side to settle and show his best. Has show glimpses of brilliance but was expected to hit the ground running and when he didn't he got pushed to the bench and beyond. Players need to play. We just have a lot and no one is given enough time to get going before being looked over. Reach being the exception.

58 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Four goals in four years in his career prior to joining us

Once again, if he has a reputation for it, he hasn't done it consistently for half a decade. 

Once again,

Not even 100% accurate.

45 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

Once again,

Not even 100% accurate.

5 league goals since the 2009/2010 season, that's 227 appearances:

http://int.soccerway.com/players/david-jones/2918/

Wiki says 6 in 214:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Jones_(footballer,_born_1984)

Whoscored reckons 4 in 215:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/12713/History/David-Jones

So again I ask you... where is your evidence that at any point during the last 7 seasons he has a reputation from scoring from range? Or should I just ignore you and your use of alternative facts? 

2 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

That bloody Kante with his tackling and keeping it simple. No place for that kind of midfielder in our squad.

Ha. Mentioning Kante in a thread about Jones. Seen everything now.

Kante can tackle, Jones is soft in the tackle. Kante runs twice as fast as Jones. Kante actually scores goals and creates.

3 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

Ha. Mentioning Kante in a thread about Jones. Seen everything now.

Kante can tackle, Jones is soft in the tackle. Kante runs twice as fast as Jones. Kante actually scores goals and creates.

Predictable response.

you don't have to think too hard to understand the point I'm making.

if you don't like the Kante comparison (presumably because he's been successful at a higher level, which is irrelevant as we don't play at that level) then how about Semedo in League One? 

The point is it takes a blend of players throughout a squad to be successful - you can't just write  someone off because they don't have a headline grabbing style. 

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

13 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

5 league goals since the 2009/2010 season, that's 227 appearances:

http://int.soccerway.com/players/david-jones/2918/

Wiki says 6 in 214:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Jones_(footballer,_born_1984)

Whoscored reckons 4 in 215:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/12713/History/David-Jones

So again I ask you... where is your evidence that at any point during the last 7 seasons he has a reputation from scoring from range? Or should I just ignore you and your use of alternative facts? 

REPUTATION = widespread belief that someone or something has a particular characteristic.  The particular characteristic being he scores goals from range - not the frequency.

I was commenting more on your belief that 4 years was half a decade.

Once again, don't let facts get in the way of arrogance...

19 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Predictable response.

you don't have to think too hard to understand the point I'm making.

if you don't like the Kante comparison (presumably because he's been successful at a higher level, which is irrelevant as we don't play at that level) then how about Semedo in League One? 

The point is it takes a blend of players throughout a squad to be successful - you can't just write  someone off because they don't have a headline grabbing style. 

You said:

"That bloody Kante with his tackling and keeping it simple. No place for that kind of midfielder in our squad."

Kante does have a headline grabbing style which is why he's constantly talked about & won the player of the year award. He also, as you quite rightly say, tackles. 

Jones doesn't tackle a lot or too well. He doesn't have a headline grabbing style. So yes it is a very poor comparison to make regardless of what league or level they play at.

I don't think as fans we write anyone off for not been headline grabbing. I wouldn't particularly say Lee or Bannan are that. Semedo as you say certainly isn't but most would accept that Semedo does at least make & win both tackles & headers.

Jones strength is that he gets in the right defensive areas & be a nuisance in that sense. But he can't tackle & he rarely wins his headers.

18 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

You said:

"That bloody Kante with his tackling and keeping it simple. No place for that kind of midfielder in our squad."

Kante does have a headline grabbing style which is why he's constantly talked about & won the player of the year award. He also, as you quite rightly say, tackles. 

Jones doesn't tackle a lot or too well. He doesn't have a headline grabbing style. So yes it is a very poor comparison to make regardless of what league or level they play at.

I don't think as fans we write anyone off for not been headline grabbing. I wouldn't particularly say Lee or Bannan are that. Semedo as you say certainly isn't but most would accept that Semedo does at least make & win both tackles & headers.

Jones strength is that he gets in the right defensive areas & be a nuisance in that sense. But he can't tackle & he rarely wins his headers.

If you go right back to the post I initially responded to, the point is they are. Both players that do the 'dirty work'. For the most part they leave the 'spectacular' (again, see the post I was responding to) to others.

In fact, if you look a bit further back in the thread you'll see I've described Jones' style in a similar way to your post - i.e. He spots the runs of opposing midfielders and full backs. 

As I said, your comment re Kante/Jones was highly predictable and lazy. Of course I'm not suggesting they're on a level. 

Jones when he came into the side around October was arguably our best performing midfielder. He was then dropped for Carlos's favourites who were once again shoehorned into the team even though they weren't performing. He again came back in for a run which saw the team cement their place in the play offs but then dropped to allow the favourites back in.

2 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Jones when he came into the side around October was arguably our best performing midfielder. He was then dropped for Carlos's favourites who were once again shoehorned into the team even though they weren't performing. He again came back in for a run which saw the team cement their place in the play offs but then dropped to allow the favourites back in.

very true

11 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

REPUTATION = widespread belief that someone or something has a particular characteristic.  The particular characteristic being he scores goals from range - not the frequency.

I was commenting more on your belief that 4 years was half a decade.

Once again, don't let facts get in the way of arrogance...

OK, and as evidence of the particular characteristic that he scores from range, you provide me with:

-A missed free kick

-A free kick from 20 yards out

-The same free kick

-A goal from inside the area

-Another free kick, this time from about 25 yards

So I guess 2/5 ain't bad. Would also have certainly shown me to be wrong if I hadn't already said I thought he was good at free kicks on the page 3, so really all you're doing is providing extremely limited evidence for something I've already said.

"I was commenting on your belief that 4 years was half a decade":  Close, except I didn't say that

"Four goals in four years in his career prior to joining us

Once again, if he has a reputation for it, he hasn't done it consistently for half a decade"

So you take the 4 seasons I was talking about before he joined us, and then you take this season too. 4 + 1 = 5. 

There's no arrogance here... show me I'm wrong and I'll gladly admit it. All you've done is agree with me and misread what I've said to try and trip me up. 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

OK, and as evidence of the particular characteristic that he scores from range, you provide me with:

-A missed free kick

-A free kick from 20 yards out

-The same free kick

-A goal from inside the area

-Another free kick, this time from about 25 yards

So I guess 2/5 ain't bad. Would also have certainly shown me to be wrong if I hadn't already said I thought he was good at free kicks on the page 3, so really all you're doing is providing extremely limited evidence for something I've already said.

"I was commenting on your belief that 4 years was half a decade":  Close, except I didn't say that

"Four goals in four years in his career prior to joining us

Once again, if he has a reputation for it, he hasn't done it consistently for half a decade"

So you take the 4 seasons I was talking about before he joined us, and then you take this season too. 4 + 1 = 5. 

There's no arrogance here... show me I'm wrong and I'll gladly admit it. All you've done is agree with me and misread what I've said to try and trip me up. 

Go back and read my first post.

It appears to be you who has introduced frequency to this.

Its been an emotional week - go and have a rest laddie.

23 hours ago, stevie snerklebox said:

I thought that it was another bizarre signing in a whole string of "kid in a sweatshop" signings. Our recruitment is disgraceful. For me there is only Fletcher & Reach who have actually added anything to us this year.

I think Fox was beginning to look OK before he got injured. 

23 hours ago, ramone said:

It's because he goes about his business without fuss and and keeps it simple.

Its only people who really understand football that can see his worth 

Such a bizarre comment.

When all are fully fit, he offers nothing better than our other crop of central midfielders.

Ahhh............the beard stroking football sophistos who UNDERSTAND the game unlike us mere mortals ha ha.

FWIW i`m not a fan, he rarely tackles, just backpeddles till he ends up on the toes of our central defenders, he`s not particularly strong or quick,  his passing is tidy in a "knock it 5 yard square to the first Wednesday shirt i can see" kind of way and occasionally delivers a decent dead ball.

This whole good work unnoticed mantra is like the emperors new clothes..................there is a reason you dont notice them...............its because they dont get involved anything like enough and take the safe easy option and hide, therefore not making any mistakes.

i like my defensive midfielders to be ball winners who get in the face of the opposition and cover loads of ground , and i llike my ballplayers to be constantly asking for the ball and be brave enough to try the killer pass....................Jones does neither , he`s just sort of bland and OKish.