2 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

The last few games he had at the tail end he was excellent 

Correct

Would you have played him instead of Hutch in the game at Hillsborough. I'd have been inclined to say yes. He didn't do anything wrong to be pushed out of the team for Hutch. Much like Lopez last season...

He's a player with no pro-activity about him.

Comparisons include

1. Bannan.

Mainly passes sideways or back, but Jones lacks a killer ball unlike Bannan

2. Hutch

Plays a similar holding role but again without any go-forward or bite in the tackle.

3. Lee

No comparison, Lee does everything Jones can do but much better.

For me, surplus to requirements for next season especially if Abdi's gets himself fit.

13 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

The last few games he had at the tail end he was excellent 

Excellent is a little strong! He played better than his very poor start. Just not my sort of player tbh but that's just my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Hedwig said:

Comparisons include

1. Bannan.

2. Hutch

Plays a similar holding role but again without any go-forward or bite in the tackle.

3. Lee

For me, surplus to requirements for next season especially if Abdi's gets himself fit.

Yet I dont think there's many players that can boast as many promotions to the Premier League than he can. 

What does that tell you? 

29 minutes ago, ramone said:

Correct

Would you have played him instead of Hutch in the game at Hillsborough. I'd have been inclined to say yes. He didn't do anything wrong to be pushed out of the team for Hutch. Much like Lopez last season...

Yes I thought he was very unlucky to lose his place.

29 minutes ago, Hedwig said:

Comparisons include

1. Bannan.

2. Hutch

3. Lee

A holding midfielder does not have to sit on the edge of the 18 yard line.  There are different types of holding midfielder.

Bannan is another holding midfielder but in the 'regista' role dictating the tempo and passing.

The roles are dependant on options and others being available.

When this fails, players are caught in possession or end up in tight triangles hemmed in up against the touch line.  Reach has  been caught out this way on more occasions Than I can remember and he is left with the only option to pass back.  The team then resort to by passing the midfield completely and trying to hit the front man.

These players have not become poor overnight but it's easy to dismiss them as in poor form or just no good enough.

IMO it is a symptom of a team with bags of talent with a preference for attacking being asked to sit deep and use their skill to get out of trouble rather than creating it for the opposition.

Essentially and IMO the first half on this season was a complete waste of time and we have spent the rest trying to rectify the mistake when we could have so much better.

Edited by Flat Owl

Jones was unfortunate to get injured when he did. 

We were in good form and he was playing well. 

Think people are harsh on him because he keeps things simple. A Hutch type (who I think is great btw) is a crowd pleaser - blood and thunder type player who wears his heart on his sleeve etc. 

Big part of why I think we struggled in those play off games is because CC reverted to type by trying to shoehorn Lee, Bannan and Hutch into a four man midfield. Means that we had little natural width (Reach aside) and our attacking play suffered as a result. 

I actually think a central midfield trio of Bannan, Lee and Hutch (in a proper three or in a five) could work, but time and time again we try and put them in a standard four and it just doesn't work. 

Very good player.

We have won more games when he's played this season.

People will knock him because he doesn't fly into tackles or charge around like Hutch does. 

I've never ever seen him misplace a pass in a Wednesday shirt and he is always available for the ball. His record speaks for itself and he should have been used a lot more this season.

13 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Excellent was justly wrote and fully deserved 

It's because he goes about his business without fuss and and keeps it simple.

Its only people who really understand football that can see his worth 

Iv no issue with Jones. Admittedly I knew nothing about him when he signed but I think he is a useful member of the squad. 

He is unspectacular, in a good way in my opinion. He is something completely different from our other midfielders. He is happy to break up play and keep things very simple. The simple bit is the most important, keeping possession and not giving the ball away cheaply. Something some of our other midfielders have been guilty of. 

7 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Then why did Carlos decide on using an unbalanced midfield of unfit players than one that had gone on a run of 6 winning games?

That's one only the manager can answer. Bizarre. 

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

I have 2 problems with David Jones.

1....His name. You can guess why.

2...He just doesnt look like a footballer. I dont know why but he just doesnt.

Certainly not like a scary defensive midfielder should look like.

images.jpg

Thats becuase he's never been a scary central midfielder. He was always quite an attacking midfield player when he first started out at Derby, as he's got older he's adapted his game well. 

1 hour ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Abdi did arrive with basically no pre season, carrying an injury, got in the side, then a season ending injury

like a new player next season 

This kind of talk is like what used to hear from KPS and Laws when we were scrambling around in the bargain bucket for freebies & crocks. Let's hope that Abdi has a better run next season.

2 hours ago, stevie snerklebox said:

I thought that it was another bizarre signing in a whole string of "kid in a sweatshop" signings. Our recruitment is disgraceful. For me there is only Fletcher & Reach who have actually added anything to us this year.

One letter can change so much. Actually agree 100% with the rest of the comment.

Jones is only a squad player and in particular he is blatantly one footed, - even more so than Wallace and Bannan.  Ok to help maintain a lead in the last 15 minutes but given all other players being fit, I wouldn't see him in the first eleven.