1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Big part of why I think we struggled in those play off games is because CC reverted to type by trying to shoehorn Lee, Bannan and Hutch into a four man midfield. Means that we had little natural width (Reach aside) and our attacking play suffered as a result. 

It was only one of the play off games he did this, we were overrun with 2 wide players in the first. But I agree with what you're getting at, with the players we have we needed to play different formation against Huddersfield.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I've never ever seen him misplace a pass in a Wednesday shirt and he is always available for the ball. 

I'm guessing you've never watched him in a Wednesday shirt. Of course he misplaces passes, all players do. He has the same pass percentage as Hutchinson at 86%. Bannan & Lee are both on 83% which considering Bannan tries his Hollywood balls quite often is surprisingly high. Reach is 2nd worst with just 76% & Buckley even lower on 73%.

1 hour ago, ramone said:

Its only people who really understand football that can see his worth 

Why do people make such stupid comments? Just because people have a different opinion doesn't mean they don't understand football.

1 hour ago, ramone said:

Do you really believe that? 

I don't think there has been a more ineffective player for Wednesday this season.

He just doesn't have the legs to get around the pitch anymore. He has constantly got caught out of position all season and hasn't the pace to recover.

He does exactly the same turn every time he gets the ball. 

When we signed him I thought we'd got a player. After one game I knew we hadn't.

Plainly I don't have a clue what I'm talking about!! :duntmatter:

3 hours ago, stevie snerklebox said:

I thought that it was another bizarre signing in a whole string of "kid in a sweatshop" signings. Our recruitment is disgraceful. For me there is only Fletcher & Reach who have actually added anything to us this year.

How many players did we sign from the Far East?

4 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Dave Jones was signed because it was intended that Hutchinson was going to be playing Centre Half to protect him a little more from injury and cards 

His signing was totally logical he wasn't a like for like with Hutch he was just the holding midfielder 

Unfortunately our Midfield sans Hutch was weak as pisssss so we reverted to Hutch in Midfield and Jones was then more or less surplus 

I think this hits it spot on. The idea was right but the Jones doesn't have the power and engine in the middle that's needed. In the end he proved vital when Hutch and Kieren Lee were both injured but for me it's one of the positions that needs to be filled with quality in the summer to allow Hutch to drop into CH, and give us more drive in the middle. The last 2 seasons have shown that Lee and Bannan get overrun against the better midfields so even though I rate both I'm hoping Carlos doesn't revert to this combination.  

5 hours ago, ramone said:

It's because he goes about his business without fuss and and keeps it simple.

Shut up muppet. Only people who understand football you condescending T**T.

5 hours ago, ramone said:

It's because he goes about his business without fuss and and keeps it simple.

Good post that...You don't actually have to elaborate on yer own "Inate understanding of the game"..You do it by proxy...

Jones...?..

meh..ordinary, done f.ook all

7 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

Another lightweight midfield player who had a reputation for supporting attacks through the middle and scoring with efforts from range but deployed this season mainly in the defensive third.

Can you please explain to me how a player that has scored 4 goals in the last 4 season has a reputation for scoring with long-ranged efforts? lol

Edited by StudentOwl

5 hours ago, David1867 said:

Iv no issue with Jones. Admittedly I knew nothing about him when he signed but I think he is a useful member of the squad. 

He is unspectacular, in a good way in my opinion. He is something completely different from our other midfielders. He is happy to break up play and keep things very simple. The simple bit is the most important, keeping possession and not giving the ball away cheaply. Something some of our other midfielders have been guilty of. 

Has that not been the main problem this season tho?

"keeps it simple"

"Unspectacular"

We need more than "Unspectacular" and "keeping it simple" Don't we?

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Can you please explain to me how a player that has scored 4 goals in the last 4 season has a reputation for scoring with long-ranged efforts? lol

Simple- because he's scored a long range effort v Sheffield Wednesday in the last 10 years!

in fairness though, he is a dab hand at free kicks around the box, but hasn't had a look in with the likes of Wallace and Fessi about.

Just now, asteener1867 said:

Has that not been the main problem this season tho?

"keeps it simple"

"Unspectacular"

We need more than "Unspectacular" and "keeping it simple" Don't we?

That bloody Kante with his tackling and keeping it simple. No place for that kind of midfielder in our squad.

Just now, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Simple- because he's scored a long range effort v Sheffield Wednesday in the last 10 years!

in fairness though, he is a dab hand at free kicks around the box, but hasn't had a look in with the likes of Wallace and Fessi about.

I thought this too, but it seems he's certainly not had the best of luck with at least direct free kicks for a bit. That said, our whole squad has been a bit poor at direct set-plays since Carlos took over... Only that Forestieri free kick this season off the top of my head?

14 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Quite easy SO, he's in his 30's and has had a career before Burnley and us...

Hard to believe I know.

David Jones is yet another of our new recruits who is probably a very good player when having a settled run in the side and playing the right system. We just seem to have lots of talented individuals who aren't cohesive as a team. The reason Reach and Fletcher fitted in better is that they suit the current 442 system that Carlos plays. Not sure Abdi does. Surely when buying new players they have to look at which players suit the way we play. There must be a reason why Jones, Abdi, Rhodes and Winnall all did well for previous teams but haven't hit the same heights for us. Although you could argue at least two of those players haven't really had the chance. Hopefully we get any incoming deals done early so that they can all have a good pre-season together and CC  (or whoever ) can work out who his strongest team is.

18 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

Quite easy SO, he's in his 30's and has had a career before Burnley and us...

Hard to believe I know.

Four goals in four years in his career prior to joining us

Once again, if he has a reputation for it, he hasn't done it consistently for half a decade. 

4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Four goals in four years in his career prior to joining us

Once again, if he has a reputation for it, he hasn't done it consistently for half a decade. 

Neither have I...But we're still together for the sake of the kids.

7 hours ago, stevie snerklebox said:

I thought that it was another bizarre signing in a whole string of "kid in a sweatshop" signings. Our recruitment is disgraceful. For me there is only Fletcher & Reach who have actually added anything to us this year.

agree, but even fletcher and reach considering wages and transfer fee aint hit the levels we were expecting. chansiri needs to be ruthless when he meets carlos on Tuesday and bring an axe with him lol