Jordan Rhodes statement

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I agree that it does take a lot of balls to step up and take the first penalty in front of the kop in massively important shoot out.

That's what he is paid £50k per week for though!!!!!

I don't blame him for missing a pen at Leeds, I don't blame Hutchinson or FF for missing there but find it baffling  that one of the best strikers outside the Premier league last few years and a regular penalty taker didn't want to take one. Abdicated responsibility in my verdict.

I like Rhodes and he will come good but this is pretty much how I see things.

Hang on a Minute, are people really moaning that Carlos gave an honest answer in a post match interview? 

At the end of the day, Carlos only said what 32,500 already knew, Rhodes didn't fancy it. So what? It happens all the time. Id much rather have someone step up who wants to take a pen than someone doesn't. Doesn't matter how much you're worth, or how much you're paid penalties are mentally tough.

2 hours ago, Semedo's ferret said:

Fessi takes a poor pen. Knew he'd miss it. Hutch has big balls so knew he'd be first. JR didn't fancy it. It happens. Surprised CC was quick to say JR didn't want to take one when all he needed to say was that they'd practised pens and the best five took them. End of.

If he'd done that no one would have believed him. A £10m 20 goal a season striker not being in the top 5 of penalty takers?!

Most fans have moaned all season about how the club are not open enough. They don't tell us this & that. They lie about injuries blah blah blah. 

Carlos tells the truth & fans then moan he is pushing players under a bus. He did the right thing being open & honest.

As for the OP saying he outed him then defended him, no he didn't. Carlos did several interviews after the game for various media outlets, some long some quick, & said pretty much the same to them all in that Rhodes wasn't confident so was never one of the 5. In the main press conference where he had longer to speak he gave a full explanation. Certain journalists simply didn't reference the fact he defended him.

As far as I am aware, there was no-'outing' of anyone. Carlos was asked a question ' Why didn't Rhodes take one of the penalties' or words to that effect.  There is no doubt that, at some time, Rhodes had been asked, but had refused, or said he preferred not to. This is no way an outing of the player, but if true, reflects badly on CC for not ordering him and more on Rhodes for his cowardly streak in refusing. Scoring, in any way, be it penalties or in actual play, is what he is paid to do.   

Can't criticise someone for not feeling it when it comes to penalties. Nuhiu has taken pens in the past yet he's not being singled out having not taken one. Had it been dragged out and level with Westwood taking one before Rhodes then maybe so. Oddly enough strikers don't always make the best penalty takers. 

I reckon 8/10 times when you see a player walk up to take a penalty with a negative swagger you can guess he's going to miss. 

3 hours ago, bladeshater said:

We have to play with wide men to get anything out of Rhodes 

Disagree. 

JR plays on the shoulders of defenders, looking for the through ball from midfield which we never provide because we don't have midfielders capable OR they are told not to play that way. 

I made a post in the other thread, but didn't include this.

Just to throw one out there, not saying this is right or wrong, or even seeing things that weren't there, but...

Not long before the end, JR had a big Centre Half weighing a fair amount, crash down on him from a fair height, when he got up he didn't look good, it seemed at the time that he didn't know where to hold for the best, arm, chest and stomach, maybe this was a factor as i cannot remember whether he did anything else after this, or not.

Guess we will never know, unless he decides to say why.

4 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

People trying to make something out of nothing. Rhodes was honest in the moment and I admire him for that, he put the team first and not himself. 

I agree...at least he didn't refuse to play for the club " because his head wasn't in the right place "

rhodes is a great striker when he is firing on all cylinders and will prove so , but taking penalties doesent come easy to some no matter who they are  , you need a different mindset altogether , and if you don't feel confident then don't take one if you do not have to ,rather those with confidence take them first , things happened in the game that could have led to us winning but we had bad luck or refused to take the most simple chance ever ,lets discuss those chances , naw that's not right we will blame Rhodes for not feeling confident enough to take a penalty

3 hours ago, ViolaOwls said:

Wow bazza has a good game and hes a world beater again!

Abdi hasn't been given a chance/ tactics haven't suited his style of play. Bazza is a CC's little pet undroppable. Yet hes been shocking for most of this season. And yes ive watched him all season

Never said he was a world beater, but he is the only player weve got that tries to create something, and it was Abdi who i askd if you'd seen play 

2 hours ago, Spookone said:

Carlos was asked the question but I don't think he should have told the reporter the reason as its only going to out more fan pressure on Rhodes and I still think he could prove to be the best striker we have.

Play to his strengths and build the team around him and he will be the best striker we have. The lad is proven quailty with a goalscoring record to prove it. 

2 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

As far as I am aware, there was no-'outing' of anyone. Carlos was asked a question ' Why didn't Rhodes take one of the penalties' or words to that effect.  There is no doubt that, at some time, Rhodes had been asked, but had refused, or said he preferred not to. This is no way an outing of the player, but if true, reflects badly on CC for not ordering him and more on Rhodes for his cowardly streak in refusing. Scoring, in any way, be it penalties or in actual play, is what he is paid to do.   

As CC said - the worst thing you can do is "order" a player to take a penalty when they have said they are not confident to do so, Imagine if he had ordered him to and he had missed, why would you risk doing that when other players are confident about taking one - makes no sense what so ever.

3 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

Disagree. 

JR plays on the shoulders of defenders, looking for the through ball from midfield which we never provide because we don't have midfielders capable OR they are told not to play that way. 

He as no pace at all for playing on shoulder he needs crosses in box he's very good at picking up the second ball 

On 2017-5-19 at 07:29, goodytheowl said:

He didn't want to make one unfortunately......

Serious point though, why did Carlos out him for that and then try and defend him afterwards? Strange one for me, either protect him or shame him, but both?

Was it planned to fire him up to prove himself more next year or more likely maybe he said it originally in a pique of frustration then just backtracked.

anyway him and Abdi gonna have more of an impact with full pre season together with squad.

onwards and upwards.

Carlos has made a few comments lately that make me wonder about his motives. First unnecessarily revealing he was out of contract at an important time of the season, then the Rhodes one.

Why do that if you intend to continue at the club? He has no difficulty deflecting question he doesn't want to answer in the 'pressers'.

I don't understand why Rhodes is getting all the stick when Niuhu didn't take one either. I couldn't believe it when we finished the game with 3 recognised strikers/forwards on the pitch and only 1 of them stepped up to take a penalty. 

On 19/5/2017 at 10:44, Almat said:

I think CC saying this to the press is a massive hint that we've seen the last of him here. Things like this should most definitely be kept in-house. The situation is made all the worse due to Rhodes' dad being a prominent figure in the backroom staff, arguably the most passionate of the lot of them. 

Carlos is an honest man, he was asked the question and answered it. It was straight after the game so Carlos wasn't in the best frame of mind and it's summat that came out. In the cold light of day he may have kept it indoors, but that was clearly a raw interview after a disappointing result.

To say one of them won't be here is just plain old sh!t stirring to suit an agenda