Adam reach

I don't mind Reach. He's usually solid. Last night he struggled. He seemed to lose all footballing ability  in a heartbeat. He is incredibly one footed, never really noticed until last night but everything is on the left foot. 

This meant we were slow and wasteful down the left because a lot of the time he was under pressure straight away, his inability to take the ball in on the half turn with his weaker foot cost us a few times. Everyone's entitled to a bad game every now and then, id argue he's had more good than bad performances in a Wednesday shirt. He's a confidence player IMO. If he makes a few early errors you're carrying him for 90 minutes.

2 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

In his early games he looked as though he had the potential to be a good player but then putting him at left back wasn't ideal because tackling and heading aren't his strengths.

If he can't tackle and he can't head he should be playing Sunday League football with the rest of the gang.

52 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

SCAPEGOOOOOOOOOOOOAT

He's been one of our better players over the last 10 games IMO.  And I didn't think he did that badly last night, he had to come on after 3 minutes for goodness sake.

We paid £5m because he's young and had a decent length contract left and came with the Premier League tax.

Give the lad a break and get behind him rather than slagging him off.  He never shirks his responsibility and always gives max effort.

You sir are in the minority.

2 hours ago, CS5swfc said:

He had Fernando stepping on his toes all night because he bottled the battle up top. New whipping boy! Anyone would think the 5m came out of your accounts.

I think there is maybe with the right nurturing and development he could be a very different player to what we've seen so far. To me he looks often like a lost kid with a lack of confidence in himself and struggling to live up to his price tag/billing at the start of the campaign, was fantastic for Preston last year, we've seen a different player so far. He'll run all day and his work rate is comparable to KL, so you can't fault him for that,fir me he just needs a manager capable of giving him that belief in himself and adding a bit of bite to his game. 

His main problems are for a winger he ain't that fast, can't generally beat a man, not really a goal threat , the other problem

is 5 million doesn't really justify a 'solid 'player price tag. You could have picked up a league one winger who will offer good team work and work rate. We needed a winger who can beat a man e.g. Bakary sako 

He needs to be given a settled position in the side. Listening to a game recently he seemed to start on the wing then get moved to midfield and ended up in defence.

44 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

If Hooper had been fit we would have played the 11 that gave us our winning run before the Fulham...you can't legislate for injuries eg Wallace going off...and with a full squad we would have had McManaman , Buckley and Abdi on the bench...lot more options

Are Mcmanaman and Buckley injured?

he should have started last night and FF should have been benched

this team I'm confident would have won us the tie last night. We were unlucky with wallace's injury, that was a huge blow

westwood

hunt

loovens

lees

pudil

wallace

lee (who was awful last night all things considered)

bannan

reach

winnall

fletcher

Early on in his time here I wrote a piece saying I thought he was poor. My point was that he offered no attacking threat. I then reassessed and argued that Carlos kept picking him because he fitted his chosen system - hard-working 'wingers' who tuck in and defend the space in front of the back 4 making us very hard to break down. It hasn't been pretty to watch but we've consistently picked up points over the last few months so who am I to slag off a player who is integral to what we do? BUT, and I've watched him very carefully ever since, he really is frustratingly average at best. The number of times we have a lovely flowing move going until it gets to Reach then, oh dear, he's cocked it up again. Now we're all saying that the system has been too negative - if we abandon that system then Reach has nothing to offer. Yes he works hard but 2 strikers up top can't do it on their own and cant do anything without service. Reach has never been useful to them. Please lets ditch the system and Reach with it.

Yes he runs around cant fault his effort but he offers absolutely zilch going forward game was crying out for a mcmannaman or even one of the U23s who offers something a little bit different with a bit of pace, we had no width we had no plan B feel a bit sorry for reach in the end cos I think Carlos is telling him to play as a 2nd left back he isn't a winger 

3 hours ago, Owlbert Einstein said:

Completely agree about Reach, I've never seen such a slow player, But surely you can't question the signing of Rhodes, I'd say 90% of the Championship would of taken him given his record. Fair enough he's not lived up to expectations yet, but surely in the long run he will get goals, if given decent service. 

Rhodes looks a diminished figure, weak, tired, uncoordinated, and short of confidence. He just scoots around hoping that a nice chance will fall to his feet. He will be a gamble and frankly we should try to wriggle out of it unless we have to keep him e.g. because the other three leading strikers do not stay.

38 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I think there is maybe with the right nurturing and development he could be a very different player to what we've seen so far. To me he looks often like a lost kid with a lack of confidence in himself and struggling to live up to his price tag/billing at the start of the campaign, was fantastic for Preston last year, we've seen a different player so far. He'll run all day and his work rate is comparable to KL, so you can't fault him for that,fir me he just needs a manager capable of giving him that belief in himself and adding a bit of bite to his game. 

Just can't think why with all the moral support on here!!!

Thought he was the only one trying to go forward at pace, but as usual the judge & jury have already decided their verdict. 

3 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Thought he was the only one trying to go forward at pace, but as usual the judge & jury have already decided their verdict. 

I wasn't pulling him down bud unlike others, just an observation that I think he's still a work in progress that needs some work to make him a really good player. I've often defended reach when he's been slagged off, but I do think there's elements in his game that need improvement and can be. 

Guest Ash76
10 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Agree, Reach was positive carried the ball up the pitch and had the beating of a very competent RB on numerous occasions.

Granted a few deliveries weren't great but that's football, he will become one of our best assets. Young, English, comfortable on the ball. His delivery, decision making and toughness will only improve

Pleased to have him 

Edited by Ash76

Reach is a good player, good engine, runs all day long.

Some don't like the price tag which is fine but it isn't my concern.

Let Reach mature and he has the potential to be a top player for us.

Just now, shezzas left peg said:

I wasn't pulling him down bud unlike others, just an observation that I think he's still a work in progress that needs some work to make him a really good player. I've often defended reach when he's been slagged off, but I do think there's elements in his game that need improvement and can be. 

Sorry mate i realise that.

Reading it back it looks like i was having a pop at you. Not the case.

I just used your quote to make a point about some of the dog's abuse aimed at Reach which i think is mainly unjustified and eventually becomes a self fulfilling prophesy as he loses MORE confidence and then gets slagged even more. 

2 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Sorry mate i realise that.

Reading it back it looks like i was having a pop at you. Not the case.

I just used your quote to make a point about some of the dog's abuse aimed at Reach which i think is mainly unjustified and eventually becomes a self fulfilling prophesy as he loses MORE confidence and then gets slagged even more. 

Yeah exactly, it can't be easy finding yourself somewhere new with a big price tag and expectations, then getting shuffled around like an old deck of cards not letting you settle into your usual position and developing an understanding with the players in your area of the pitch.