Adam reach

Guest oz_owl
2 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Preston's manager said he's £1 million max after managing him for a season , then bidding accordingly.

Carlos seems to be suggesting these signings aren't his and last night's starting line up reflected that.

That's not quite what he said.  He said that he would have loved to sign him, and IF the price had been 1m they could have had a go at signing him, even though that would have been a stretch for PNE.  He was saying this more to do with how PNE couldn't compete with some of the ridiculous transfer fees being paid in general by Championship clubs.  At no point did he equate Reach's talent with a particular fee.

30 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Although I dont think he is as bad as some make out I dont think he has the bravery to be a defender. Has a huge amount of energy and is all over the pitch. Not sure what his best position is.

He's been played all over! Needs a set position and play it. His work rate is there. His defensive side of his game is better than his attacking side that's why I think LB will suit him

Guest gizowl
1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

He looks like a left wing back to me and suited in a 3-5-2 system. One thing he has got is unbelievable fitness and he would be able to play that role brilliantly. Just doesn't do it for me as an out and out winger.

Carlos likes him as Carlos likes a boring pragmatic style of football and players who stick to orders. Reach will do this. That's why you haven't seen McManaman in the team!

How can he be a wing back?a wing back needs to be able to defend and mark up,and he's a fairy when it comes to a tackle.

SCAPEGOOOOOOOOOOOOAT

He's been one of our better players over the last 10 games IMO.  And I didn't think he did that badly last night, he had to come on after 3 minutes for goodness sake.

We paid £5m because he's young and had a decent length contract left and came with the Premier League tax.

Give the lad a break and get behind him rather than slagging him off.  He never shirks his responsibility and always gives max effort.

Just not bothered...

Guest oz_owl
2 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Oz, surely that's how you do value most players, unless a  Becks or Ronaldo who can sell squillions of shirts in Shandong and shampoo in Shanghai? 

Or, maybe potential sell on value but I've got Reach at 500 k now. 

Does Westwood play like he cost nothing?  Bannan?  The cost of a player is determined by many factors, not just his (perceived) ability.  As a rule we expect English players to cost more than foreign players of a similar ability, so there's a premium on nationality that bears no relation to how good the player is etc etc.

Guest oz_owl
1 minute ago, domSWFC said:

The quality of crosses Reach is putting in, is part of the reason Rhodes isn't scoring.

It's tricky to hit the subs bench from the left wing when you're playing towards the Kop.

doesn't matter where he plays, settled in one position or not, he only passes backwards, if not gives it away trying to go forwards, his crossing is awful, he can't head it, he has no vision and his 1st touch is embarrassing, but he runs around a lot

Just the same as all the other of this seasons signings that started last night, except there was only one.

where was Buckley, McManaman Winnall, Rhodes at the start of the match

all these were brought in to improve us, two on the bench plus Reach and two not even in the squad, but the big lump still manages to get on the pitch while others cant

I would like to see reach under a manager that wants to win games before I write him off, as with the other four mentioned above

38 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

The amount of gloating going on today is sickening

He cost a lot of money Davey. I'm glad it didn't come out of my pocket. I bet you're glad it didn't come out of your pocket.

It's as though Carlos was trying to prove a point by "sidelining" the players brought in to improve us...........last nights starting team was 10 of last years losing Wembley team with Fletcher for Hooper which is weaker not improved.......was he trying to prove "his" team could do it and the extra "tools" given to him were not necessary ...well he failed

Guest oz_owl
1 minute ago, twolaptops said:

It's as though Carlos was trying to prove a point by "sidelining" the players brought in to improve us...........last nights starting team was 10 of last years losing Wembley team with Fletcher for Hooper which is weaker not improved.......was he trying to prove "his" team could do it and the extra "tools" given to him were not necessary ...well he failed

It was essentially the same team/formation that won us 6 in a row and got us safely into the playoffs without having to endure any final match agony.  Of course we then endured agony two games later instead, but Carlos seemed to clearly believed this was the optimal formation and team to win the game.  No ulterior motive or conspiracy theory.  I feel like he could/should have got more out of Winnall and Rhodes, but Fletcher and Forestieri is not a weak front two by Championship standards.

3 minutes ago, twolaptops said:

If Hooper had been fit we would have played the 11 that gave us our winning run before the Fulham...you can't legislate for injuries eg Wallace going off...and with a full squad we would have had McManaman , Buckley and Abdi on the bench...lot more options

26 minutes ago, gizowl said:

How can he be a wing back?a wing back needs to be able to defend and mark up,and he's a fairy when it comes to a tackle.

Your wing backs are generally the fittest players at your club as they will constantly be running up and down the line for 90 minutes and Reach has got that in him.

He needs to improve his tackling but when you have got a back 3 he won't be doing a load of defending, his main job will be supporting the attacks and keeping width.

I can't class him as a winger as he can't beat a man and put a cross in.  His best attributes are workrate and team work.

Guest oz_owl
Just now, Animis said:

he had a good go though

I was kinda hoping I'd set that up for someone to put away.  You win a place in our front two (or three, maybe one) for next season.  :stuwinky:

2 hours ago, CS5swfc said:

He had Fernando stepping on his toes all night because he bottled the battle up top. New whipping boy! Anyone would think the 5m came out of your accounts.

The reason Fernando was "stepping on his toes", was because he was having to do the job Reach obviously isn't capable of doing. 

2 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

In his early games he looked as though he had the potential to be a good player but then putting him at left back wasn't ideal because tackling and heading aren't his strengths.

He's never looked a good player. He can't tackle, he can't track a man, he can't cross, he can't dribble, he can't beat a man.

A couple of games ago, Nuhiu came on with 5 minutes to spare, and even he managed to beat more men than what Reach did in an entire season!