Adam reach

I think everybody knew at the time that 5 million was about 3 million too high.

But we were apparently paying for potential.

He really lacks in certain attacking attributes that you really need from a winger at this level.

Compare him to what Hudds had on the wings and he falls woefully short. They got theirs for zilch.

16 minutes ago, aeroswfc said:

It's not just his fault. 

4 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

We've lost a game, time for everyone to hate Adam Reach again.

This has been said time and time again this season ...joc (poster) in this thread hit the nail on the head for me, he bottles out of nearly everything and his crossing is woeful .

He did get an assist last night and while I don't rate him he doesn't fit  the system and that's not his fault.

If given the choice of having a free roaming option on the left you'd have to be mad to choose Reach over FF and the thought of messing about and loosing Nando to accommodate Reach makes my blood boil.

18 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

Is somebody spinning the roulette 'wheel of blame' every hour and then starting a thread?

Not really, if you think our play offs were successful without any critism then fair do's  pal but for me along with carlos tactics in the play offs there were a few individuals that let Wednesday down and reach was definitely one of those last night, not that this was his first time either. 

I don't like him , and I don't like the way he bottles out of tackles that are there to be won. 

The price tag doesn't help my opinion either. 

He had a poor game yesterday.

He's blown hot and cold all season. Works hard and shows glimpses of a good cross or taking a man on. But overall I think for a winger he's very average and doesn't provide the spark we were so clearly lacking last night. 

I wouldn't write him off just yet, there's a player in there. But we need to sign a winger with genuine pace and skill, like McManaman. Unfortunately if CC is still in charge we will never see this as he prefers his wingers to either act as an extra centre mid or offer more defensively than going forward. 

We need to change our style of play so badly.

Lets not forget, after every superb performance he did (Notts Forest, Barnsley to name two both mainly on the right) he was moved to left back both of the next games!!!

Hardly surprising he didnt settle when he played about 6 positions on rotation. 

1 hour ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Tbf before he signed he only managed 4/5 goals for Preston , hardly fantastic so no idea as to why 5m is what we paid. A very steady Eddy who rarely does better than 7/10

Rarely does better than 5/10, it is not often he exceeds satisfactory.

I think he is a good player for our squad, the problem is how we play. We set up as a 4-4-2 team but when we have possession we push up the fullbacks and a CM drops into the back. FF likes to play out wide so he ends up with a defender up his ar@e and a striker in his face. He isn't quick but he is the type of player who seems to create space and the team keep possession. He does sometimes bottle out of tackles but the ain't a hard hitting CM. His heading is better than average and wins more than his fair share but he ain't a Steven Fletcher. Overall a good player for us, not his fault we reportedly paid £5m for him.

1 hour ago, CS5swfc said:

He had Fernando stepping on his toes all night because he bottled the battle up top. New whipping boy! Anyone would think the 5m came out of your accounts.

It does to a degree with commercial costs elsewhere going up.

Guest oz_owl
5 minutes ago, clampyowl said:

a lot of people rate reach coz he works his tail off, but running around doesn't make a footballer, he is garbage, and the fact the manager plays him so often makes me wonder what Carlos is watching 

He played a full season for PNE under Grayson and was arguably their best player for most of it.  The same Grayson who managed to get the best out of McGeady this season.  So it's not just Carlos who believes Reach is a good player.  I can't help thinking that his versatility, whilst great for the squad as a whole, hurts him as a player - at his age he should be developing in his preferred position, and I don't think moving between multiple positions helps that very much.

Regardless, it seems like he's been scapegoated predominately on how much he cost.  Which was nothing to do with him.