7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You misunderstand. I listed the last six games and named the two or three strikers on the field st the times we scored. Against Barnsley it was two strikers.

Of our last ten goals, five came when we had two strikers on, and five when we had three on.

I think against Rotherham he was virtually a dead-man walking. We were dying on our arse. He had to shake the tree and playing Hooper, Rhodes and Fletch did the trick.

Since them, he has added the third striker twice, late on (Cardiff and Derby) because we were in desperate need of a goal.

So he has done it three times, and it has worked three times.

Got to call that terrific management.

I understand what you're saying. But the Barnsley game is irrelevant to the point I'm making. 

The shift to 3 strikers was from the Rotherham game. 

So since Carlos felt the need to go with 3 strikers, we've won 5 straight games and most of our goals with that formation.

1 hour ago, spike1867 said:

I don't think it can be stated enough that one of the major reasons things are clicking is that the full backs are in form and providing width and threat.  This allows us to play with 3 CMs or a diamond or whatever you want to call it. It makes us tighter in the middle and less easy to break down and gives us numbers in attack.  Kieran Lee coming back increases that threat.

Totally agree. Carlos seems to like his wide men to tuck in, putting great emphasis on the full backs to get forward and provide much needed width especially against teams that come to defend. For me it's been a major weakness this season but Suddenly both Hunt and Pudil have hit top form and now we look like serious contenders.

2 minutes ago, sage owl said:

Tbf early on in the season Pudil looked like" his legs had gone ". Really don't know what the problem was or what's happened to rectify it but he looks back to the form that made us sign him. Regarding Hunt some of his crossing and decision making was abysmal early in the season but he's obviously worked at it with the coaching staff and been excellent for a few weeks now.

It's really made a difference well done to the pair of them and the coaching staff.

They are certainly both sharper now, but I still think the criticism of them was a bit over the top. I don't think the in and out with Palmer helped Hunt early doors. 

Tbf Pudil always looks like his legs have gone at some point during the game - then when you think he is completely knackered he will go on a 60 yard dash...

54 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I understand what you're saying. But the Barnsley game is irrelevant to the point I'm making. 

The shift to 3 strikers was from the Rotherham game. 

So since Carlos felt the need to go with 3 strikers, we've won 5 straight games and most of our goals with that formation.

In a way then the point that you are making is kind of irrelevant aswell as we won two of the games playing only two upfront in a 4-4-2 

Edited by pazowl55

3 hours ago, spike1867 said:

I don't think it can be stated enough that one of the major reasons things are clicking is that the full backs are in form and providing width and threat.  This allows us to play with 3 CMs or a diamond or whatever you want to call it. It makes us tighter in the middle and less easy to break down and gives us numbers in attack.  Kieran Lee coming back increases that threat.

I think whatever system we play the full backs have arguably the most important role as they are expected to provide a bit of everything. Hunt's had a good couple of months after being indifferent for the most part of the season. Reach and Fox have been indifferent too in all fairness but Pudil's hit last season's level of form since his return and this has made a massive difference to us.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

How about this one...

Of the 25 goals we have scored since Rhodes signed, how many have we scored while he was not on the pitch?

None

He has played 1194 minutes and sat out only 246, but still that's quite something.

In April we have scored 10 goals in 346 minutes when Rhodes' is on the pitch.

0 goals in 194 minutes when he has not been on the pitch.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

How about this one...

Of the 25 goals we have scored since Rhodes signed, how many have we scored while he was not on the pitch?

None

He has played 1194 minutes and sat out only 246, but still that's quite something.

Fantastic stat Holmowl, I doff my cap sir 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

You misunderstand. I listed the last six games and named the two or three strikers on the field st the times we scored. Against Barnsley it was two strikers.

Of our last ten goals, five came when we had two strikers on, and five when we had three on.

I think against Rotherham he was virtually a dead-man walking. We were dying on our arse. He had to shake the tree and playing Hooper, Rhodes and Fletch did the trick.

Since them, he has added the third striker twice, late on (Cardiff and Derby) because we were in desperate need of a goal.

So he has done it three times, and it has worked three times.

Got to call that terrific management.

You might think he was "virtually a dead-man walking", but some of us could see the bigger picture, particularly Chansiri.

1 hour ago, sage owl said:

Tbf early on in the season Pudil looked like" his legs had gone ". Really don't know what the problem was or what's happened to rectify it but he looks back to the form that made us sign him. Regarding Hunt some of his crossing and decision making was abysmal early in the season but he's obviously worked at it with the coaching staff and been excellent for a few weeks now.

It's really made a difference well done to the pair of them and the coaching staff.

Pudil had a long hard extended season last year, spent all summer representing his country and came to us at the last minute with virtually no pre season. 

No wonder he wasn't on top form.

Carlos said in an interview that Pudil got injured early in the season, this wasted any pre season he had done. When he tried to play again he wasn't fit enough so had to take him out of the team and do another pre season.  It has worked.

The diamond  made its debut at Rotherham. I reckon Carlos saw this an ideal opportunity to try it. Get enough strikers on the pitch and we would get the goals , irrespective of quality of play. It worked.

Again it shows the flexibility of people like Wallace and Reach which is why Carlos loves them 

Also we have cut out the individual errors, or we are getting away with them 

I don't think Carlos sets the team up to be a rigid 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. The team is more fluid than that.

When Hutchinson is in the team it transforms to 3-5-2 in possession in spite of appearing to be 4-4-2 at the start.

Of late with Hooper in the team plus 2 strikers its not really 4-3-3 either because Hooper finds deep positions almost at the top of a midfield diamond.

The fluid nature of our play plus the ability to keep key players fresh within a larger squad has made us so hard to play against now that almost every player is fit.

6 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Hooper's done well since his return, but he was a regular early in the season when we were at our worst. So it's difficult to make a case for him as such an important player.

So Hooper has been a key part of our upturn. 

Put your pride aside and admit that he's an important player for goodness sake. 

On 25.4.2017 at 13:03, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Hooper's done well since his return, but he was a regular early in the season when we were at our worst. So it's difficult to make a case for him as such an important player.

Do you mean the initial bad spell when Loovens was out injured and all the fuzz going on around FF?

22 hours ago, SiJ said:

So Hooper has been a key part of our upturn. 

Put your pride aside and admit that he's an important player for goodness sake. 

He HAS stated that Hooper has done well.

Only on OT can you negged and pulled up, because you've praised a player, but not gone way OTT.

2 hours ago, zzmdu said:

He HAS stated that Hooper has done well.

Only on OT can you negged and pulled up, because you've praised a player, but not gone way OTT.

lol

Some people just can't cope when someone disagrees with them.

Hooper's the new Nuhiu on owlstalk. Just praising him when he performs well is not enough, you have to agree that he's a key player and he makes a massive difference or you're a "hater".

It's bizzare.

53 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

lol

Some people just can't cope when someone disagrees with them.

Hooper's the new Nuhiu on owlstalk. Just praising him when he performs well is not enough, you have to agree that he's a key player and he makes a massive difference or you're a "hater".

It's bizzare.

Could we settle on "strong disliker"?

Agree with a lot of the above.

IMO Carlos has changed main tactics three times yhis season.

First period Hutch in defense Bannan deep midfield. Conceded a lot of first half goals and we were a bit wide open.

Second period put Hutch in midfield played percentages tightened up and we accumulated points.

Third period much quicker with the ball and more direct with Rhodes up front. Better options up front to go to plan B.

Sacrilidge i know but Hutch in midfield is very limiting. Be an asset in the Prem though.

36 minutes ago, Warnocchio said:

Agree with a lot of the above.

IMO Carlos has changed main tactics three times yhis season.

First period Hutch in defense Bannan deep midfield. Conceded a lot of first half goals and we were a bit wide open.

Second period put Hutch in midfield played percentages tightened up and we accumulated points.

Third period much quicker with the ball and more direct with Rhodes up front. Better options up front to go to plan B.

Sacrilidge i know but Hutch in midfield is very limiting. Be an asset in the Prem though.

I love him but surely he'll gent sent off more than anyone else in the division if we play him in midfield in the prem next year.

Edited by WC1Owl