Hutchinson is the problem

Just now, adelphi1867 said:

FFS! you taking Burton for granted, typical of Owls fans, just because they are a 'Smaller' club.

Don't underestimate them.

And therein lies the problem. We should be looking to come out and get a couple of early goals and control the match. That is what a top team would do but we will probably come out slow let them gain confidence, score and then it's touch and go as to the result. It's Burton ffs.

5 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

I've said this before. He drops so deep he is a fifth defender which, when we have no wide players capable of beating a man, is unhelpful. When we play macka and fessi out wide it will work, otherwise it stifles anything down the middle.

This happened last season

He drops to centre half allowing Loovens and Lees to split, allowing the full backs to push up creating an attacking 3-5-2 formation

For whatever reason we don't play the same this year, the pressing game has completely gone, we seem more happy to let the opposition have the ball this year

4 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

FFS! you taking Burton for granted, typical of Owls fans, just because they are a 'Smaller' club.

Don't underestimate them.

Our problem is that we over-estimate sides at home. We set up to counter the "strengths" of the likes of Wolves, Wigan and Brentford, and it doesn't work.

14 minutes ago, Patheard said:

So who's providing the bite in midfield?

The club recruited both Abdi and Jones to the total cost of £5-6 million just a few months ago.  If Carvalhal can't get a tune out of these two having spent significant fees, there is something very wrong.

8 minutes ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

crazy thought but abdi and McGugan in the middle

McGugan won't play again for us.  The club have made their position crystal clear on that.  A real shame after he did so well for us on loan a couple of seasons back.

Mc

2 minutes ago, Slick. said:

The club recruited both Abdi and Jones to the total cost of £5-6 million just a few months ago.  If Carvalhal can't get a tune out of these two having spent significant fees, there is something very wrong.

McGugan won't play again for us.  The club have made their position crystal clear on that.  A real shame after he did so well for us on loan a couple of seasons back.

McGugan wont play for Carlos again but Carlos will be gone before McGugan.a new manager will give every player a fresh start.

having Semedo on the bench and McGugan walking his dog is criminal

6 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Good thread this. 

We need to stop worrying about other teams and just attack, we have the players, push Sam further forward and play as a proper midfielder.  

Its painful at the moment. I'd sooner die not wondering than the current dross. 

We've literally been saying this for months, but the next game comes and it's same old.

It's all well and good us on a forum saying we should go for it, but it's Carlos who's organising the team, not us.

He's not 'going for it'.

Has been all season.

He's our been our best individual performer throughout the season, but the role he plays, means we constantly fail to take control of a game. 

We get away with it to an extent when Lee plays in there with him, because of his energy, but with players like Bannan or Abdi, we'll continue to lose that midfield battle.

I keep saying it, and I'm boring myself now, but every single one of our midfielders would be much more effective in a three man midfield. And it's absolutely baffling, we're still trying to shoehorn our best players into a system that is stifling their fantastic ability.

I didn't expect to see a thread suggesting Hutch is the problem. If the season was at an end now surely he'd be nailed on for player of the season?

With respect to today's match I actually thought we set up ok. Woods goal was obviously born from a series of Wednesday defensive mistakes, but the goal aside Leeds rarely looked a threat. Considering how strong they've been at home I'd be surprised if they've produced less chances against anyone else than us today.

On the whole I thought most of our players fronted up. For me Fox, Sasso and Reach seemed a bit nervous and daunted by the occasion. I was impressed with Abdi; he doesnt give the ball away and looks a real calming influence. The Rhodes penalty was a real shame; he didn't give it any power and he looked gutted when he was subbed. I thought over the 90 mins we looked the better side and if we were to play Leeds again in the play offs (should we get there) I'm not sure they'd be overly confident about turning us over.

All in all it's been a tough week, but then again it's a bloody tough league so this is going to happen. It would be good to get the Lees Loovens CB pairing again. Personally I'm not so sure Hoopers return will make that much difference as to a degree we've arguably got too many striking options already.  In summary don't go giving up just yet everyone; there's still plenty to play for and we aren't a bad side by any means.