Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

10 minutes ago, Mr Mercury said:

Harsh...not sure its his decision. If the club (Boro) won't sell him for the offered amount, nothing he can do other than down tools but not sure he's that kind of bloke tbh.

He wanted more money and got out of Blackburn didn't he?

Whether Blackburn needed to sell or not, he could have gone elsewhere could he not? he went for the highest wage packet. He got it.

2 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Wage structures mean nothing 1-week after they are agreed

Legally speaking this may be true but wage structures are important in a club, ask Forestieri.

If your top earner is on 17k and you bring someone in on £35k, it's going to cost you a hell of a lot more than £35k a week.

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Rhodes would be a huge gamble. 

I think the top two are guaranteed in Newcastle and Brighton, possibly Leeds who look unstoppable. Rhodes won't make much difference to that in my opinion.

'Unstoppable' Leeds are all of 3 points in front if us and according to half the people on here, we are bobbar.

13 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

He wanted more money and got out of Blackburn didn't he?

Whether Blackburn needed to sell or not, he could have gone elsewhere could he not? he went for the highest wage packet. He got it.

Promotion chasing Boro come in for him whilst he's treading water @ Blackburn, cant blame him one bit for going & how do you know he went to the club offering highest wages and if so, are you sure that's his (or was) only motive ??? Seems the Venkys would have held out for the highest fee for him, not giving a stuff what wages Rhodes would negotiate tbh.

Guest Copthorneowl
59 minutes ago, Semedo's ferret said:

If we don't get Rhodes one of our competitors will. If you was in a bar and a beautiful lass was smiling your way all night, but you didn't go and talk,  eventually she's gunna try your drinking partner.  Then when he takes her up on her forwardness , has a wicked night, then finds out she's a very talented lady with skills to make you wealthy and turns it into a lasting relationship,  you'd be gutted that didn't have the balls to take the plunge. Part of Chansiris thought process must be "what if we don't get Rhodes, and his goals come at our expense".  

Crickey matey you went round the houses to make your point but I enjoyed the story.

Just now, londonowl said:

'Unstoppable' Leeds are all of 3 points in front if us and according to half the people on here, we are bobbar.

Exactly. This leeds love in recently is getting embarrassing, on a decent run that's all against poor sides.

12 minutes ago, londonowl said:

Legally speaking this may be true but wage structures are important in a club, ask Forestieri.

If your top earner is on 17k and you bring someone in on £35k, it's going to cost you a hell of a lot more than £35k a week.

Yeah I get that, what makes you think he won't take drop in wages, after all he will drop a league. I did ask FF he just said if they don't pay me more then i won't play...then get a rise later

Guest Copthorneowl

JR definitely polarises opinions. Seems unclear whether the majority want him or don't. 

Im in the camp that wants us to get Hourihane in as first priority and like most would be happy if Rhodes came without us having to spend a lot of money, think a loan with options would be best, can't for the life see how there is much more than the width of a sheet of paper between him and Hooper and would really love to know Hoopers availability timescale.

If Villa get him wouldn't give a throw, but it defo lookalike DC is going for it big time, also would be nice to stick some fingers up at the Villa owner who treated us like dirt over Bennett - make the tw.t pay DC. UTO?

Rhodes is a proven player at this level but given our current squad and where we are in the table, I just don't think we'll push for him now.

We've got 6 strikers and a like for like in Gary Hooper. I just don't think this'll happen now. Maybe in the Summer if we're still a championship club?

1 minute ago, Blueblood said:

I'm calling bullsh!t!! Why would we offer 9 million when Villa had a 10 million bid already turned down

Because Villa only offered a £6m down payment with the rest structured. Maybe we offered more up front. 

56 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

He didn't exactly set the world on fire did he, he scored a few goals but Middlesbrough were well placed for promotion before he signed. Middlesbroughs biggest signing influence wise was probably Gaston Ramirez. I can't argue with the fact he's not really had a fair crack at premier league level because he hasn't really, but the fact Middlesbrough now or indeed any other premier league club in the past have not seen him as a viable goal scoring option speaks volumes IMHO.