This was 10 years ago today

1 hour ago, aeroswfc said:

Sheffield Wednesday 3-3 Southampton (Whelan 28, 69 & Crossley 90).

Crossley, Simek, Bougherra, Bullen, Spurr, Folly (Andrews 58), Whelan, Lunt, Burton (MacLean 62), Tudgay, Brunt.

Subs not used: Adamson, Coughlan, O'Brien.

:)

Fantastic game that. 

Had some really good players in that side - Simek, Bougherra, Whelan and Brunt etc. 

Whelan was outstanding that season (Brunt too) and scored a fantastic, on the turn volley from 25 yards out!? 

Crossley then caps off the madness with a goal. 

Celebrated so much that I smashed my knee into my chair. Sort of left the ground celebrating and hobbling. 

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Never thought much to that kit either, but I'd choose it over our current one every time

Yikes. I'm no great fan of our current shirt but this oldie is *horrendous*. Looks like they all came straight from working at a Lidl warehouse. Or resurfacing a section of the M4 in heavy fog.

At least in our current one they look a bit more like they're at a Waitrose deli counter. Or fancy airline staff. Or a 1920s barber and shoe-shine emporium. Etc.

Edited by Mr. Tom

the only home game that I missed that season!

After, I remember my old man saying that they had a young left back that would be world class, and stood up to the kind of quality that he had only seen in a young George Best!

I presumed it was Bale rather than Heckingbottom or Spurr!!

Edited by DuncOwl

3 minutes ago, DuncOwl said:

the only home game that I missed that season!

After, I remember my old man saying that they had a young left back that would be world class, and stood up to the kind of quality that he had only seen in a young George Best!

I presumed it was Bale rather than Heckingbottom or Spurr!!

Bale - going forward - was immense in that match. 

Incredibly fast and direct. Think he was 17.18 years of age at that point. 

Couldn't defend for sh*t though. Remember Whelan dumping him on his arse (by twisting and turning) to score our first. 

Needless to say Mr Bale ended playing further up the pitch. 

Edited by SiJ

3 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

For extra time drama I can only think of a goal at Brunton park by a keeper in injury time that either secured promotion or avoided relegation.

Obviously Carlisle were involved but can't recall the detail. Whatever, people will be discussing that Crossley leveler for years to come long after we're all gone.

Jimmy Glass. Kept them in the football league. 

I remember that people had already started to leave, the equaliser went in and people ran back one the kop from the concourses at the sides. (its happened a few times in memory, I think a last gasp winner against Bristol City at home around the same year?)

Always wonder what they expect to see? Maybe they will score the goal again just for them.