Troubled Mind

30 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Sorry I've maybe put my question badly. You've stated that Joao is the 4th choice striker. I'm wanting to know the other 3, which you must know to declare Joao as 4th. Are you able to fill in?

1: ?

2: ?

3: ?

4: Joao

No. 

With the exception that very occasionally I would see Fletch as a lone striker, I have realised that strike partnerships come as a package.

14 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Carlos was about to sub him before the first goal.

Being subbed in the first half would have been pretty damming.

You sure? I thought it might be Bannan. I was intruiged to see who was going to be subbed so early. But fair play to Carlos. It was so clearly not working before that goal, and a Mourhino-esque willingness to admit that is great.

2 hours ago, Adam1867 said:

He's not good enough.

I keep hearing he is a young lad, give him time.

He's 23. From what I can see, he has only improved in one area and that is his strength.

Send him back to Portugal. Another rubbish signing.

Agree, hes just not good enough if you want a top six finish

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

That miss the other day has obviously had an effect on him. I don't think he has had a bad attitude this season. 

But he isn't aggressive enough and I'm not sure that can be coached 

Don't forget the Brentford miss earlier in the season too.

The lads confidence must be shot.

Mentally he doesn't seem to have got to grips with the physicality of the game in this league. As soon as he gets knocked & isn't given a freekick you can see his head drops.

Likewise when he challenges a defender & gives a freekick away he then becomes reluctant to challenge again. He needs to look at Forestieri, Fletcher & Hooper to see how they get the same treatment but keep going.

He needs that little bit of arrogance that all good strikers have.... he just seems too nice.

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

That miss the other day has obviously had an effect on him. I don't think he has had a bad attitude this season. 

But he isn't aggressive enough and I'm not sure that can be coached 

Did well last night, but I think a lack of aggression in Reach, will limit his potential to go right to the top.

55 minutes ago, Stainless1983 said:

Mentally he doesn't seem to have got to grips with the physicality of the game in this league. As soon as he gets knocked & isn't given a freekick you can see his head drops.

Likewise when he challenges a defender & gives a freekick away he then becomes reluctant to challenge again. He needs to look at Forestieri, Fletcher & Hooper to see how they get the same treatment but keep going.

He needs that little bit of arrogance that all good strikers have.... he just seems too nice.

Agree, think English football is just too physical for him. Will do well at some mid level team on the continent in a league that's less physical and where he gets more time on the ball.

25 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

Ever since Joao got his tooth knocked out last season,  his game seems to have lost that little bit of bite.. 

I remember him being in tears about that which probably shows just how much he doesn't like the physical side of the game. I'm not trying to knock the lad but can you imagine someone like Fletcher doing that.

5 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Agree, think English football is just too physical for him. Will do well at some mid level team on the continent in a league that's less physical and where he gets more time on the ball.

But you think training with Fletcher and Nuhiu you'd learn how to handle yourself on the pitch

3 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

I remember him being in tears about that which probably shows just how much he doesn't like the physical side of the game. I'm not trying to knock the lad but can you imagine someone like Fletcher doing that.

Fletchers head after that clash with Tommy Elphick at the beginning of the season. Imagine if that was Joao. 

fletch.jpg

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

You sure? I thought it might be Bannan. I was intruiged to see who was going to be subbed so early. But fair play to Carlos. It was so clearly not working before that goal, and a Mourhino-esque willingness to admit that is great.

Yes mate definitely.

Got back to the car in time for Carlos 's interview on RS and he stated clearly Joao was the one coming off.

The goal , he said, changed the dynamic. 

Joao's form has been awful these past few games and he's wasting a great opportunity to make an impact on the first team. Although he has all the right attributes he's just too nice for championship football and his lack of aggression makes it too easy for centre backs to stick him in their back pocket all game. His confidence is ruined and he always gets either pushed off the ball or shifts it on quickly. Think back to when we first signed him when his confidence was so high he was often guilty of trying to do too much with the ball and taking on one too many defenders.

Having said that I'd still start him for the game against Rotherham as, with FF out, he's the only real genuine pace in the side that we have. He makes the opposition defence worry about the ball in behind and was almost in a couple of times last night. This forces the opposition back giving us that little bit extra space to play.

A front two of say Fletcher and Reach would be far too static and can't see a 5 man midfield breaking down Rotherham unless we can accommodate an extra playmaker which, abdi aside, we don't really have

3 minutes ago, MightyOwl said:

Joao's form has been awful these past few games and he's wasting a great opportunity to make an impact on the first team. Although he has all the right attributes he's just too nice for championship football and his lack of aggression makes it too easy for centre backs to stick him in their back pocket all game. His confidence is ruined and he always gets either pushed off the ball or shifts it on quickly. Think back to when we first signed him when his confidence was so high he was often guilty of trying to do too much with the ball and taking on one too many defenders.

Having said that I'd still start him for the game against Rotherham as, with FF out, he's the only real genuine pace in the side that we have. He makes the opposition defence worry about the ball in behind and was almost in a couple of times last night. This forces the opposition back giving us that little bit extra space to play.

A front two of say Fletcher and Reach would be far too static and can't see a 5 man midfield breaking down Rotherham unless we can accommodate an extra playmaker which, abdi aside, we don't really have

Good post. Pace upsets any defence.