Poll: Man of the Match vs Barnsley...and your player ratings

Man of the Match vs Barnsley  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Barnsley?

• Westwood
    • Palmer
    • Lees
    • Loovens
    • Pudil
    • Hutchinson
    • Lee
    • Bannan
    • Joao
    • Fletcher
    • Reach
    • Wallace
    • Jones
    • Nuhiu

Westwood 8 Made a key save in each half. Safe as houses.

Palmer 7- solid game 

Lees 7 - getting back to the form of 2015/16 shocking miss 2nd half though

Loovens 6 - now getting game time regularly and his performances are on the up again

Pudil 6 - excellent first half but his lack of fitness showed in the latter stages of the 2nd

Bannan 5 - another below par show from the wee man, hope he can get his mojo back quickly

Lee 7 - Duracell battery bunny this lad

Hutch 8- Would die for the cause. So pleased he scored that decisive second goal

Reach 8- This kid is going to be some player for us. Pace to burn too.

Joao 6 - another valuable hour of game time for Lucas

Fletcher 7 - class act that will only improve with more game time

Wallace 7- I like him as an impact player from the bench, gives us quality late on in games

Jones 6 - I wish that he would look to pass the thing forward more often instead of sideways/backwards. However he did sure-up the midfield better than Bannan

Westwood 9 - Had an excellent game.

Palmer 8 - Way better defensively than Hunt.  For me should be our starting right back every game.

Lees 7 - Solid.

Loovens 6 - Sometimes he can be a bit "casual".

Pudil 6 - Did okay.  Looked like he'd lost a yard of pace in the second half tho.  

Hutch 9 - I think his recent short spell at center half has made him an even better holding midfielder.  Gave him MoM.

Lee 7 - Wasn't as involved on the ball as he usually is, but his defensive work and effort were excellent as always.

Bannan 4 - No where near his standards of last year.  I'd argue that he needs dropping and Jones given a decent run of games. 

Reach 8 - His best game so far.  Covered a lot of ground too today.

Joao 6 - Put himself about, he needs to get stronger tho, and quickly.  He's at an age where he really needs to start showing some ability, otherwise we may as well give the game time to a younger prospect (No Surprises for guessing who).

Fletcher 7 - Had a good game. Tough job against those two center backs.  Ran himself into the ground.

Wallace 7 - Had a decent game.

Jones 6  - Did his job when on the pitch, but wasn't on long enough to have any serious effect.

Nuhiu 6 - You could argue his presence at that corner lead to our second.  Still think he has a part to play in shutting down games, and making things difficult for defenders.

Edited by Kraschenbern

Westwood - 8 - made three world class saves, and a mockery of those on here who've been slating him.

Palmer - 8 - very decent , much stronger than hunt.

Loovens - 7 

Lees -8 - dominated 

Pudil - 7

Reach - 8 - some aimless runs but covered so much ground

Hutch - 10 - warrior. won us that game tonight.

Lee - 6 - looked tired

Bannan - 6 - not his day but still had moments of class

Joao - 4 - oh dear. looked rusty, but in a team where everyone stepped up, he looked a few levels below.

Fletcher - 7 - worked his nuts off

Jones - 6

Wallace - 7

Nuhiu - 6

Let's be right that wasn't a good performance. But in the end all that  matters if that we got three points.

Westwood- 9 - several good saves to keep us in the game we could have been dead and buried come half time. 

Pudil - 6 - solid..good going forward and looked a threat. Was being ripped apart by hammill second half though when he came on. 

Palmer- 6  - solid, didn't get forward enough for me though. Defended well. There LB had a great game and caused issues all game so he did well to contain him. 

Loovens - 7 - solid. Did his job against a lively Barnsley side 

Lees - 6- would have been a 7 but his miss from 2 yards was painful. Has to do better there. 

Reach 8 - lively and ran and ran and ran everything went through him. I just worry he lacks a little bit of quality with end product. Looks much better when in an attacking role. 

Bannan - 3 - didn't happen for baz today. Every thing he did went wrong. Just one of those games. Tried too hard after a poor start. Right call bringing him off. 

Lee - 6 - he's been off his game last few weeks for me but looked better today. Needs to go forward more as he looks lively when he does. 

Hutchinson- 10000000000000 - colossus. Did everything right, won everything was everywhere. 

Deserved his goal. Carried bannan and Lee for parts of the game. Superb tackle against hammill.

Very important player for us. 

Joao - 4 - I want him to be good but he just isn't. Offered very little all game and looked uninterested and injured. Doesn't offer enough and his goals to game ratio is worse than nuhiu. 

Not good enough. 

Fletcher- 5 - weak 1st half. Didn't win a header. Improved second half but never really at the races. 

Subs - 

Jones - 6 - nothing special did his job well. But that's Jones Mr consistent. 

Wallace- 7 - positive change for me. Looked busy and made things happen. Improved us when he came on. Has that little bit of quality about him. 

Nuhiu - 2 - like the fella but he's dreadful. Shouldn't be anywhere near our team. 

Missed free header sums up his quality. 

Needs to go In Jan. No where near good enough. 

Overall 4 - poor performance but who cares! Huge win. 

Gets up back where we need to go

Hutchinson - 10 out of 10. Will be player of season at this rate.

Best player by a mile. Tackled well, defended well, passed well and scored! Wish all players would show the passion and commitment he does. Had a right panic when I thought he'd been sent off. Wish he'd be careful with his goal celebration too - I'm worried he might fall apart!

Followed by Westwood, who made crucial saves and Reach, who ran his socks off to the point where he was absolutely knackered at the end.

Westwood 8 good performance , less stupid kicks and two good saves

palmer 7 turned into a solid and dependable full back

Lees 7 not an awful lot to do but did what was required . Shocking miss in the second half

loovens 7 see lees minus the miss

pudil 6 not bad 

bannan 2 the most overrated player in recent season. Becoming a liability losing the ball in dangerous areas .

lee 6.5 did what he does 

hutchinson 9 fantastic 

reach. Excellent first 60 mins . Tired towards the end

fletcher  7 led the line well

joao 5 its time we all admit he just isn't very good

wallace 7 clever play and scared their young full back to death. Pleasant surprise. 

Westwood 9 - made a couple of really good saves and on another day would have been MOTM

Palmer 8 - very solid today and got forward on occasion. Solid performance

Lees 6 - shaky at times

Loovens 8 - won most challenges and was very calm and composed

Pudil 4 - wasteful in possession and got the run around from hammill when he came on. New left back needed, not just because of tonight's performance but he's been poor for a while now

Bannan 3 - dreadful tonight

Lee 6 a quiet by his standards 

Hutchinson 10 - wow! Said in another thread he won anything and everything, his range of passing was superb and to top it off he got a goal

Reach 8 - good performance but desperately needs a goal

Joao 5 - poor. Very weak on the ball which led to him loosing it on several occasions. Missed a great chance with the header from the corner

Fletcher 6 - worked his gonads off but didn't quite work for him today

subs:

Wallace 7 - caused problems when he came on. Took his man on a couple of times and created a couple of opportunities

Nuhiu 5 - should have scored and just seemed to try and foul their defence 

Jones 5 - very quiet

OMG Sam Hutchinson, take a bow!!

from first minute to the last he was awesome, not just in the tackle but also his distribution was great.

Dare I say since his spell at CB he has started to time his tackles better? Seems to get the ball now when sliding in rather than the player.

Really impressed with reach tonight too.

And first game for a while that Westwood saved us on 2 or 3 occasions. So quick off his line in that first half wasn't he 

A scruffy 2-0 win is all that really matters. They are a decent side and brought the game to us and there were times when we just couldnt keep hold of the ball when it was knocked up to our strikers. They played fast and brought the game to us.
I thought there were times when we almost looked like the away side.
MOM- Hutch but Westwood kept us in it.

Ratings

Westwood- 9 Some top notch saves, hopefully it will silence the doubters.
Palmer- 7 A good display and improved as the game went on.
Lees- 8 Coped well, his best performance in a while.
Loovens- 7 Missed a few headers and sliced clearances but improved in the second half.
Pudil- 6.5 Got turned a few times but kept going.
Hutch- 9 Another top display topped off with a goal and no booking (although at the time I honestly thought he had been given a red).
Lee- 8 All over the park picking up stray passes and kept things moving.
Bannan- 7 A bit hit and miss. I got bad vibes when he went down the tunnel without acknowledging Carlos & co.
Reach- 7.5 A decent enough performance but I thought he tired late on.
Joao- 7 Some good, some bad, you never know what you are going to get from him at any point in any game.
Fletcher- 8 Led the line well and chased everything.

Wallace 7- Neat and tidy, did a job
Jones 7- Steady performance from an experienced pro, he did what was needed
Nuhiu- 6.5 Not really enough time on the pitch to make an impression but hustled them.

Westwood - 8: 2 fantastic saves and his distribution was better.

Palmer - 8: Played really well. Defended stoutly and was a threat going forward, and delivered quality into the box.

Pudil  - 7: Got caught out a couple of times, but provided width and his defensive abilities were evident.

Lees - 7: Coped pretty well, and looked solid.

Loovens - 7: As Lees, positioning was excellent

Reach - 7: Best game I've seen from him, although a bit lightweight in the challenge.

Bannan - 3: And that is generous. Off the pace, lacklustre in the tackle, and his passing was woeful. Well done to Carlos for subbing him.

Hutch -10: Outstanding. Everything you want from a midfielder, quality display.

Lee - 6: Out of sorts the first half, but got better as the game progressed.

Joao - 4: Ineffectual, and pushed off the ball too easily.

Fletcher - 9: Worked his nuts off, and got a right battering from their centre hakf. Worked tirelessly, and a fantastic effort.

Wallace - 6: Not too shabby, but had opportunities to get forward which he didn't take.

Jones - 5: Tidy when he came on.

Big Dave - 6: Roughed up their centre half immediately and put himself about.

Sam Hutchinson has had to do a lot to win me over to liking him after the early period when there was so much concern about injuries and he could never play a game without being booked.  But today he was magnificent - distributing the ball and winning it back.  I thought he had been sent off but I could not understand why, and it took me a while to realise what had happened (I think the ref got it wrong personally, without seeing any replays).

Well done Westwood for keeping us in the game with fantastic saves.

Joao was appalling.  Was going to be subbed just before we got the first goal, and that was more than he deserved.

Bannan was not much better - he is only half the player he was last season - shrinking all the time!

Edited by Reyt Part Timer

Westwood - 8, Two massive saves that kept us in the game (might have been 3 but I couldn't see from where i was sat). The one in the first half one on one with Bradshaw was crucial, a night when we needed our best players to perform and he certainly did.

Pudil - 5, Thought we looked stronger on the left with Pudil/Reach combo much more threatening on the attack. However exposed twice by Hammil on the left, not quick enough and vs a better winger would have been in for a horrible night...nevertheless thought he did OK, experience showed as game went on and that left foot can be dangerous.

Loovens - 7, Solid throughout, one sliced clearance almost led to a goal if not Westwood making a save - still has something valuable to give this side and his leadership will be vital this season, another clean sheet.

Lees - 7, Again another steady display, not much to say him and Loovens looked untroubled throughout, missed an absolute sitter from a corner though

Palmer - 7, Good at both ends of the pitch, better crossing tonight from him - one trait he has that's stronger than Hunt. Always willing to run, would just like to see him get into the box more.

Bannan - 4, This is a very very generous 4. IF we had lost could be very different, think he made about 3 completed passes all night? so wasteful on the ball and looked desperate for something to come off, not composed and rushed everything, really not his night. Feel for the lad, energy is always great but he's really not fitting in when asked to play RM/LM, we were better when Jones/Wallace were on in a 433. 

Lee - 7, Solid box to box midfield performance again, just delivers the goods week in week out, tackling and interceptions were crucial tonight and almost scored at the end, might have found our winning midfield 2 in him and Hutchinson, dare i say best in DECADES?

Hutchinson - 10 MOTM, Just incredible. Amazing. He did absolutely everything CC asked of him and more. Broke up the play, won the ball, tackled everyone, spread the play topped off with a goal, even first half when we were struggling still charged around winning the ball and getting the crowd going. One of the most complete performances by a CM i have ever seen at S6, nice finish for the goal followed by a better celebration. That tackle was a cracker too on Hamill.

Reach - 7, Finding his form now, great dribbling and energy down the left, seemed to get the ball in every position across the front 4. Looked tired towards the end just needs to get his goal then he will really take off.

Joao - 5, Will be frustrated with his performance tonight. Just wasn't happening for the lad, involved in the first goal and almost scored from the corner but confidence just seems low at the minute. Worked hard but we need him running of the last man, not coming deep for the ball or trying to link up play - Joao isn't that type of forward. Tactically wasn't there, still has a lot to give to this team just not tonight.

Fletcher - 6, Worked hard and his experience was essential, impressive target man performance again just needed more support. Had no understanding with Joao at all, stood too far apart form each other - Fletcher looks to be missing Hooper.

Overall I would consider tonight a hard fought but lucky 3 points. First half Barnsley were the better team and we were poor, fortunate to be a goal up. Second half  better after Joao/Bannan went off, who were disappointing. Not a huge reflection on them as players, just feel tactically they aren't fitting in at the minute. PLEASE can we see a formation where Bannan isn't looking lost out wide for once? Maybe even bench him for Wallace and play with proper wingers? Back 4 were fine, but Pudil is getting targeted for his speed, needs more support or a new pair of legs - got beaten a few times convincingly tonight. We look short on options in attack with Fletcher/Joao seemed no understanding between them at all for the most part. Tonight would have been perfect for Abdi to play behind Fletcher, he was desperate for somebody to run onto the flick ons and link up play with. Hutchinson stole the show, Westwood,Lee, Reach and Palmer all v.good too.

Good 3 points, hopefully get 3 more on Saturday, but we need to find our best formation, almost 2017 and still no luck. Think Bannan might be due a spell on the bench, and we revert back to an attacking 442, with Fletcher/FF up top, and Wallace/Lee/Hutchinson/Reach behind.

Edited by Lionel Fessi

Westwood 8 - 2 big saves.

Palmer 7 - Never put a foot wrong.

Lees 7 - Solid enough.

Loovens 6 - A bit hit and miss. Generally solid defensively but a few wild clearances.

Pudil 5 - Thought he was poor throughout tbh. Hammill skinned him easily a couple of times.

Hutch 9 - Immense. Can't remember him doing anything wrong.

Lee 6 - Usual tenacious and busy self, but very little from him when he had the ball.

Bannan 4 -  Very poor tonight. He knew it too.

Reach 8 - He was everywhere. Worked his socks off and showed real quality on the ball at times.

Joao - 4 - Probably a little generous there. Had a bit of a mare.

Fletcher 6 - Huffed and puffed, put himself about, but not much else.

Jones 6 - Steady. Was better than Bannan and kept things nice and simple.

Wallace 7 - Made a bit of a difference when he came on. 

Nuhiu 5 - Bless him he tried. Mainly just gave away free kicks.

Credit to Barnsley though. Very tidy side. Just lacking a bit of quality.