Which striker has come closest to David Hirst...

55 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Wickham looked good for us when he got up to fitness - and he was playing in a pretty mediocre side that didn't create much...  Hirst played in good sides here which helped.

No saying he is comparable to Hirst, but he had something about him here and one of the only players we have had recently who could fashion openings and finish them off himself.  9 in 17 was a pretty good record though he has struggled since then - a flash in the pan perhaps, or just the right fit here..who knows.

I'd agree with this. Wickham reminded me of Hirst in his style of play. I really think he would have improved more with us than he has since he went back. Wednesday were/are the perfect club fir him. It's just a shame we'll never see him play for us again 

57 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Wickham looked good for us when he got up to fitness - and he was playing in a pretty mediocre side that didn't create much...  Hirst played in good sides here which helped.

No saying he is comparable to Hirst, but he had something about him here and one of the only players we have had recently who could fashion openings and finish them off himself.  9 in 17 was a pretty good record though he has struggled since then - a flash in the pan perhaps, or just the right fit here..who knows.

They not comparable pal. Hirst played the majority of his career for us in the top flight. Wickham did that in the league below. 

Wickham had had proved he can't cut it in the Prem... 

I honestly don't think anyone has come close to reaching the levels Hirst did. For me, there isn't anyone

57 minutes ago, ViolaOwls said:

Hirst wont need  game time at any club, he would be first on the team sheet. He was in my lifetime a cut way above the rest

Hirst or Wickham ? I mentioned about Wickham needing more games and the fact that Hirst played in some good Wednesday sides, unlike Wickham. I don't quite understand your reply.

48 minutes ago, SWFC18 said:

Di Canio and Carbone yes, but they were different types of players to Hirsty, the others you mention, no chance

Chapman could be pretty closr on his day and Bright too wasn't far off. Varadi was an excellent striker who scored 22 goals in that season in the first division, around 1984/85 season, though that tally also included cups. Varadi played the majority of his career in the top flight.

25 minutes ago, ramone said:

They not comparable pal. Hirst played the majority of his career for us in the top flight. Wickham did that in the league below. 

Wickham had had proved he can't cut it in the Prem... 

I honestly don't think anyone has come close to reaching the levels Hirst did. For me, there isn't anyone

I know they are not like for like - which is what I acknowledge...my point is that Wickham brought other aspects to the game in a way that is reminiscent of Hirst.

He has struggled in the Prem which could be down to a number of factors, rather than lack of ability.

Di Canio had the talent .... Big Ron initially and then Redknapp got the best out of him in a way that was beyond Wilson

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

None and more than likely never will, incredible player, fast, strong, could use both feet and fantastic in the air, I'd love George to be the one to emulate him so fingers crossed but he shouldn't be rushed for the sake of having a Hirst back in the Wednesday side.

Hirsty, my favourite ever Weds player. I started going 79 & have had few fav's since then but to me he's untouchable. Even better he's still connected to club at present too. Only player I can think of who was close for pace/power etc.. was Dalian Atkinson (RIP). Plenty of strikers were good for us, i.e, Varadi/Bannister/Bright for different reasons but Hirsty had it all. Imagine his worth/price these days... wow - unthinkable.

1 minute ago, F. Spiksley said:

Honestly, I struggle to put anyone in Hirst's bracket. He's top of the shop for me.

I would add that I never saw the likes of Layne, Fantham or Spiksley so have every reason to think they'd be up there also if I had.

Its difficult to go on the old names, because most of us didn't see them. I only know of the likes of Fanthom because of my dad, who's always said he was brilliant.

1 hour ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Yes. That performance from Wickham at home to Leicester when he scored twice and terrorised them reminded me of Hirst. Indeed I told him such on Wembley way. Although I was tvvatted at the time.

Paul Warhurst - definitely. Unbelievable player to say he moved up front from being a centre half because Trevor Francis had a hunch about him and we were short of strikers at the time. He certainly knew how to bang them in. I loved watching him. He was a bit accident prone though. I remember him being knocked out cold by the goalkeeper just as he scored his hat trick against Spora Luxemburg in the UEFA cup. The physio (Alan Smith I think) saved his life that night because he nearly choked to death. Then just before the FA cup final against Arsenal he broke his arm in training but was allowed to play with a special cast. I was gutted when he left to go to Blackburn - didn't do him much good though. He broke his leg soon after going there. Back to Hirsty - incredible striker. I remember when he was injured and out for a few months. His comeback was in a reserve game and about 10,000 turned up to watch it - just because he was playing.