Which striker has come closest to David Hirst...

1 hour ago, Rustyfunk said:

possible yes, but given he retired 2 years before i was born, i couldn't really comment.

got the impression that the question was about who has come close since Hirst

I never saw Fanthom either mate, but i'm going off the generation like my dad who did and say's he was a truely great player. Its always difficult if you haven't seen the old players yourself. I was trying to gain a sense of where Hirsty is in the pantheon of strikers weve had, but in reality i suppose you're roughly going from the mid 70's onwards, because of the readership of Owlstalk.

2 hours ago, kernowl said:

Got to be Paul Warhurst...to get to the England squad as a striker in a matter of weeks (only injury prevented him getting a cap, I believe) from being known as a defender is unprecedented. If you watch the season review you will see that he had everything...bravery (as previously alluded to in the Spora game), pace and comfortable shooting with both feet. As a defender his forays up the field used to get the crowd going.

Yes, he did throw a wobbler when Francis asked him to go back to defence when Hirsty was fit again (at the time I could sort of understand it because from being a regular centre-back he was on the verge of the England squad as a striker and then being pushed back to defence)

I remember the following season before he was sold to Blackburn that we had Hirsty, Bright and Warhurst as our strike force...what could stop us, I thought? I think we went about five or six games before we scored a goal that season.

Dalglish bought Warhurst for Blackburn and never played him as a striker (played him in midfield) which I thought was a crazy. Surely, as the great striker he was himself, he had recognised Warhurst's potential. It was almost as if he was punishing him for that brilliant performance that knocked Blackburn out of the cup that year. Warhurst broke his leg not long after and his career waned after that. Hirsty was great...Warhurst should have been great.

Yeah, it was a strange one. You always wonder what would have hapenned if Warhurst would have been kept as a striker. Would he have been a half season wonder or blossomed into a truely great striker. Who knows.

2 hours ago, OneDavidHirst said:

None.

I've yet to see a striker at Hillsborough fit to lace his boots.

The fear he struck into the opposition was phenomenal. 

I was showed my son his picture that was in the old Champs and said to him with tears on my eyes "We'll never see another one like him again at Hillsborough". 

That was before Milan took us over though so now my hope has been restored. If his son is half as good we've got a diamond.

If we get back into the premiership, i'm sure we will see someone of Hirsty's calibre. However, what was unique about Hirsty was he was a local lad from Barnsley, who joined us at 18 years of age and stayed eleven years. That is something that won't be seen again unless young George Hirst makes the grade.

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Di Canio best I've ever seen at Hillsborough for us, Hirsty second.

If both had looked after themselves better they'd have had 50 caps each.

Young Hirst looks top notch, too.

8 minutes ago, BRADFIELDOWLS said:

Di Canio best I've ever seen at Hillsborough for us, Hirsty second.

If both had looked after themselves better they'd have had 50 caps each.

Young Hirst looks top notch, too.

Di Canio was without doubt the most gifted player ever to grace Sheffield Wednesday, Hirst is the best striker ever to play for Sheffield Wednesday. 2 completely different players.

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Di Canio was without doubt the most gifted player ever to grace Sheffield Wednesday, Hirst is the best striker ever to play for Sheffield Wednesday. 2 completely different players.

I'd agree with this. The three most gifted players ive seen are Waddle, Di Canio and Carbone.

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

you can only be the best of your time and between 90- 94 hirsty was untouchable like layne was in 62 -64 and no doubt players like jack ball ,jimmy trotter were back in there day.who was the best is impossible to prove  .....

True. The first time i heard that saying was when Sir Jackie Stewart said the same thing. Its true. You can't compare era's, all you can do is appreciate that they stood out amongst their peers at that particular time.

23 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Watching that video, I was there for most of those goals. What a player Hirsty was, yes he really was that good. Nobody at our club has come anywhere near in the last twenty years. The bidding would start at £50 million in todays market.

Totally agree, he'd be worth at least £50m nowadays. In fact if Andy Carrol can go for £35m I'd chuck a few more mill on!