Which striker has come closest to David Hirst...

Ask the question.  'That' reserve game says it for me. Think it's still the only reserve game I've ever been to.

Who in the last 25 years would command so many ppl to go to see them in the reserves if coming back from injury say.

DEH9 was special. Not sure we'll see anyone compare.

Given more time at Hillsborough, I believe Dalian Atkinson could have been on a par with Hirst. Since then nobody has come remotely close to emulating him. Don't expect to see anybody else like him in my life time, hope Im wrong though. The term legend gets thrown about to easily, but Hirsty is definitely one, as are a few other members of the early 90's team. His and others legendary status, will still be remembered in another 50 years. That shows how good he was.

5 hours ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Insight is not a prerequisite of participation.

Left footed

Pacey

Powerful

Terrific shot

Great at heading

With that list, you could be talking about a whole host of players. Hirrsty was flat footed for a start and didn't have the same skills set as Bale. He received the ball in a completely different way. Bale is a superstar gifted footballer, Hirsty was a very good one. Hirst's main attribures where his strength, his pace and the fact that he hit a shot hard and early. As for your opening gambit, it makes no sense whatsover lol.

Looking at the strikers we've had as has been said we've never had any like for like since Hirsty left for Southampton.

As far as other goalscorers we've had then Mark Bright has to be up there. I know he played in the same team as Hirst but he more often than not scored around 20 a season.

Steve MacLean was a natural finisher, Marcus Tudgay and Deon Burton did well for us in the championship. If Neil Mellor hadn't had his injury troubles and we'd managed to sign him permanently then I think he would've been a Hillsborough hero. Gary Madine did well in League 1 but for me it's Gary Hooper who could well be the goal machine we need if we can keep him at the club for the next 2 or 3 years.

Who have been our top-scorers season-on-season since Hirsty left? Someone on here must have a run-down. And I'm not talking stats taken from Wikipedia - the stats on there can sometimes be woefully incorrect. I'm talking proper, 'back of the program' stats!

I bet there's been a good few seasons where our top-scorer has barely been in to double-figures!!

Got to be Paul Warhurst...to get to the England squad as a striker in a matter of weeks (only injury prevented him getting a cap, I believe) from being known as a defender is unprecedented. If you watch the season review you will see that he had everything...bravery (as previously alluded to in the Spora game), pace and comfortable shooting with both feet. As a defender his forays up the field used to get the crowd going.

Yes, he did throw a wobbler when Francis asked him to go back to defence when Hirsty was fit again (at the time I could sort of understand it because from being a regular centre-back he was on the verge of the England squad as a striker and then being pushed back to defence)

I remember the following season before he was sold to Blackburn that we had Hirsty, Bright and Warhurst as our strike force...what could stop us, I thought? I think we went about five or six games before we scored a goal that season.

Dalglish bought Warhurst for Blackburn and never played him as a striker (played him in midfield) which I thought was a crazy. Surely, as the great striker he was himself, he had recognised Warhurst's potential. It was almost as if he was punishing him for that brilliant performance that knocked Blackburn out of the cup that year. Warhurst broke his leg not long after and his career waned after that. Hirsty was great...Warhurst should have been great.

23 minutes ago, kernowl said:

Got to be Paul Warhurst...to get to the England squad as a striker in a matter of weeks (only injury prevented him getting a cap, I believe) from being known as a defender is unprecedented. If you watch the season review you will see that he had everything...bravery (as previously alluded to in the Spora game), pace and comfortable shooting with both feet. As a defender his forays up the field used to get the crowd going.

Yes, he did throw a wobbler when Francis asked him to go back to defence when Hirsty was fit again (at the time I could sort of understand it because from being a regular centre-back he was on the verge of the England squad as a striker and then being pushed back to defence)

I remember the following season before he was sold to Blackburn that we had Hirsty, Bright and Warhurst as our strike force...what could stop us, I thought? I think we went about five or six games before we scored a goal that season.

Dalglish bought Warhurst for Blackburn and never played him as a striker (played him in midfield) which I thought was a crazy. Surely, as the great striker he was himself, he had recognised Warhurst's potential. It was almost as if he was punishing him for that brilliant performance that knocked Blackburn out of the cup that year. Warhurst broke his leg not long after and his career waned after that. Hirsty was great...Warhurst should have been great.

You make a strong case, have thought before why managers didn't preserver with him up front, I can only think that he went through a barren spell, he did seem to have everything required of a striker.  I do disagree with his attitude at Wembley, for me you do as the manager asks, give 100% then argue about it afterwards.

I suppose Dalian was the nearest, he had all the attributes, but perhaps not the desire to push himself further. As others have said, there's really been nobody who's even got near Hirsty's all round game. DiCanio was ludicrously talented, but a totally different type of player. I guess we have a couple of players on the staff now, who have that little bit of everything, in Lucas Joao, and young George Hirst. Of course they have a lot to do, before they can challenge the great man, but again, they do have similar attributes. It would be great, if one, or both, turned out to be half as good.

None.

I've yet to see a striker at Hillsborough fit to lace his boots.

The fear he struck into the opposition was phenomenal. 

I was showed my son his picture that was in the old Champs and said to him with tears on my eyes "We'll never see another one like him again at Hillsborough". 

That was before Milan took us over though so now my hope has been restored. If his son is half as good we've got a diamond.