Which striker has come closest to David Hirst...

The two who I've seen in my time would be Bronco Layne and John Hickton.  Before being stupid was scoring an average of two goals every three games ( 52 in 74) and Hickton  was even better (21 in 53). Was choked when Alan Brown sold Hickton to Boro I think he would have become a Wednesday legend. 

1 hour ago, Mick De Lyons said:

Hirst or Wickham ? I mentioned about Wickham needing more games and the fact that Hirst played in some good Wednesday sides, unlike Wickham. I don't quite understand your reply.

My reply means hirst would have got in any great side. The reason wickham isn't at a top club playing regularly is down to the fact he isn't a world beater. Hirst was in the early 90's. If wickham was on a par with hirst he would be at man city/Utd Chelsea or arsenal

Having seen them all from the Wilko team onwards, I would say no-one comes close to Hirst, but interesting to look at the figures of goals per game in a Wednesday shirt:-

Bannister goal every 2.14 games

Hooper 2.4 games

MacLean 2.5 games

Varadi 2.7 games

Forestieri 2.7 games

Hirst 2.8

Bright 2.8

Tudgay 4

MaGuire 4.4

Clarke 4.6

Booth 4.75

Burton 4.8

Of course those players who scored mostly in the top flight stand out even more.

This does show that we are blessed with two truly outstanding goal scorers right now.

Also worth bearing in mind that current and recent players spend less time per match on the field, as squad rotation and 3 substitutions are relatively recent developments.

Quiz question - 3 subs which year?

28 minutes ago, ViolaOwls said:

My reply means hirst would have got in any great side. The reason wickham isn't at a top club playing regularly is down to the fact he isn't a world beater. Hirst was in the early 90's. If wickham was on a par with hirst he would be at man city/Utd Chelsea or arsenal

Ok, fair do's. Hirst was a class above Wickham, but i think that Wickham could do more than he is at the moment. I think there is more to come from him.

I thought that the roughest diamond we've had that reminds me of Hirst was grant holt. Now he went into good things but had to drop back to achieve it. 

I think had we worked with that rough diamond we may have found a star, his game reminded me of David's so much. Powerful and knew where the goal was 

5 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Wickham looked good for us when he got up to fitness - and he was playing in a pretty mediocre side that didn't create much...  Hirst played in good sides here which helped.

No saying he is comparable to Hirst, but he had something about him here and one of the only players we have had recently who could fashion openings and finish them off himself.  9 in 17 was a pretty good record though he has struggled since then - a flash in the pan perhaps, or just the right fit here..who knows.

He was very similar to Hirst in terms of his playing style.

The fact we have struggled to name many like hirst and that he left in 97 speaks volumes. 

Weve had other goal scorers and key players since to be fair but in terms of where the club was at that time they should've been able to do a better job of replacing hirst waddle and Sheridan but we didn't fancy paying the going rate