Rival watch

8 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Its not unusual for so many teams to win week in week out? It's pretty much the whole top 10.

I agree it's harder this season and was always going to be, but I think this has swung the other way and seems more relentless than usual. 

FWIW 22% of matches to date this season have resulted in a draw.

In contrast, 31% of matches last season ended in draws.  29% the year before, and 28% before that. 

So you're right in that there have been a statistically lower number of draws this season to date.

The problem for us is that the top 5 are streaking away from us.  They aren't dealing in draws at all and seem to be winning almost 2 out of every 3 games between them.  We haven't even won half of ours so we need to put a run together quickly.  

1 hour ago, just visiting said:

After a very dodgy opening six games ( 4 points from 18), Monk quickly figured out the weaknesses in the squad, stopped forcing square pegs into round holes and settled on a 4-2-3-1 formation which suited his best players.

Since then, the balance of the team has improved greatly and that has been helped massively by some very astute recruitment by Monk and his team.

Ayling, Bartley and Jansson at the back have been fantastic additions and addressed our Achilles heel of conceding too many goals whilst popping up with some crucial goals themselves.

Bridcutt should be playing in the PL and O'kane playing next to him is producing the form he did when Bournemouth went up from this division.

Hernandez, although 31, is a quality player but finds the games coming thick and fast a problem but Monk uses him wisely, he is bringing on Roofe's game as well.

I think that most of our rivals fans are probably under estimating the quality of player we have assembled this season because we've not hit the transfer fees hard, we're probably in a positive nett spend, but as the season draws to end and if we can keep the same form going, I certainly wouldn't want to play us over two legs in the play offs.

These facts are undoubtedly true, but having a bloke up front who's scored 20 goals in half a season makes a big difference. No matter how well a team plays, without a striker who scores goals regularly it's to little effect. Also, Leeds were underestimated, and it takes a season for the opposition to figure out how to combat it. But Leeds' biggest asset is undoubtedly Monk. Wednesday have a manager who's trying to play a brand of football he doesn't truly understand, and that's why the team is not living up to its potential. He was brought in as a complete contrast to Gray, as he's attack-minded, and Carlos' mantra is that he'd rather win a game 10-9 than 1-0. The emphasis was on entertainment after the boring (if effective) football seen under Gray, but playing that way is fine when you have the ball, but not when you don't. That's why he's changed his approach this season, and clearly it's not working. I'd fancy Leeds against anyone in the top six at present, but of course we don't know how the final table will look. If Villa get in there, then I think they'll do it. The problem for Leeds then would be keeping hold of Wood. On 17K a week it would be very difficult, and increasing his wages then causes problems with the rest of the team. He could probably earn £40K-£50K elsewhere, as Fletcher and doubtless Rhodes are here.

7 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

These facts are undoubtedly true, but having a bloke up front who's scored 20 goals in half a season makes a big difference. No matter how well a team plays, without a striker who scores goals regularly it's to little effect. Also, Leeds were underestimated, and it takes a season for the opposition to figure out how to combat it. But Leeds' biggest asset is undoubtedly Monk. Wednesday have a manager who's trying to play a brand of football he doesn't truly understand, and that's why the team is not living up to its potential. He was brought in as a complete contrast to Gray, as he's attack-minded, and Carlos' mantra is that he'd rather win a game 10-9 than 1-0. The emphasis was on entertainment after the boring (if effective) football seen under Gray, but playing that way is fine when you have the ball, but not when you don't. That's why he's changed his approach this season, and clearly it's not working. I'd fancy Leeds against anyone in the top six at present, but of course we don't know how the final table will look. If Villa get in there, then I think they'll do it. The problem for Leeds then would be keeping hold of Wood. On 17K a week it would be very difficult, and increasing his wages then causes problems with the rest of the team. He could probably earn £40K-£50K elsewhere, as Fletcher and doubtless Rhodes are here.

Its a good point because whilst we are out of the PL we won't be paying those wages. Someone will have to part with £15m to get him though and it would have to be to a manager who will play him as Monk does to get 20+ goals from him.

Gary Monk and Pep Clotet with £15m to spend, I'd be pretty confident we'd replace him.

9 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Its not unusual for so many teams to win week in week out? It's pretty much the whole top 10.

I agree it's harder this season and was always going to be, but I think this has swung the other way and seems more relentless than usual. 

I can't work out if this is true, or it just seems that way! Every time you look at a set of results, all them  above & chasing us seem to have won. Drives me mad. We're treading water at moment, but luckily still in touch.

The only thing that can help us is when 2 around us play each other. As we already know, it's the draws that kill you. Providing we can muster up a win on the same day!

3 minutes ago, just visiting said:

Its a good point because whilst we are out of the PL we won't be paying those wages. Someone will have to part with £15m to get him though and it would have to be to a manager who will play him as Monk does to get 20+ goals from him.

Gary Monk and Pep Clotet with £15m to spend, I'd be pretty confident we'd replace him.

The wages are the real problem, though, and it's something which applies to all non-parachute clubs. It's not just that the parachute clubs have the money, it's that their wage structures are far more generous so they can accommodate the big-earners much more easily. What Wednesday are paying is probably the limit that any non-parachute club can pay. Carlos wanted Hourihane, but there was no chance once Villa came in. Brucie probably would have got Rhodes too had he not switched targets.

43 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

I can't work out if this is true, or it just seems that way! Every time you look at a set of results, all them  above & chasing us seem to have won. Drives me mad. We're treading water at moment, but luckily still in touch.

The only thing that can help us is when 2 around us play each other. As we already know, it's the draws that kill you. Providing we can muster up a win on the same day!

Post above by Owl in Oz suggests there is something in it. 

29 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

The wages are the real problem, though, and it's something which applies to all non-parachute clubs. It's not just that the parachute clubs have the money, it's that their wage structures are far more generous so they can accommodate the big-earners much more easily. What Wednesday are paying is probably the limit that any non-parachute club can pay. Carlos wanted Hourihane, but there was no chance once Villa came in. Brucie probably would have got Rhodes too had he not switched targets.

I'd imagine our top earner is probably on £20k a week and I cant see that being broken whilst in the Championship, having said that I wouldn't be too comfortable with us having a more than 100% wages to turnover ratio every season either. That's just not sustainable without a £b owner.

Some of the fees and wages being paid to bog standard UK players is getting unbelievable that's why it's becoming more and more important to have not just a good domestic scouting network within our level of football but a very good European and global one.

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Post above by Owl in Oz suggests there is something in it. 

I read in another thread that Derby have actually made ten points up on us since October. The thing that makes that remarkable is our form in that period has been pretty good. As far as I know, we have been hovering something between 1.6 and 2 points per game average. That doesn't appear to be enough. It is a crazy situation. We would have to maintain that form or even better to sustain a play-off challenge. 

5 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

I read in another thread that Derby have actually made ten points up on us since October. The thing that makes that remarkable is our form in that period has been pretty good. As far as I know, we have been hovering something between 1.6 and 2 points per game average. That doesn't appear to be enough. It is a crazy situation. We would have to maintain that form or even better to sustain a play-off challenge. 

Yeah, we've not lost many. But the nature of making the top six this season seems as relentless as the battle for the top 2 in terms of needing the three points home and away. 

13 minutes ago, just visiting said:

I'd imagine our top earner is probably on £20k a week and I cant see that being broken whilst in the Championship, having said that I wouldn't be too comfortable with us having a more than 100% wages to turnover ratio every season either. That's just not sustainable without a £b owner.

Some of the fees and wages being paid to bog standard UK players is getting unbelievable that's why it's becoming more and more important to have not just a good domestic scouting network within our level of football but a very good European and global one.

Turnover

Your favourite subject

lol

We need to target Huddersfield! Derby, Leeds, and Reading are the form teams at the moment. 

Hudders have Brighton and Leeds next and then QPR away. 

Newcastle could still stumble, no Jan signings and an injury to Shelvey or another key player and it could get interesting. 

11 hours ago, scram said:

Its not unusual for teams to win continously - as i said this division is usually relentless

Last season probably lulled us into a false sense of security - but last seasons points haul would have seen us about 10th the preceding season - it was a poor points haul for a 6th placed team

Having only a pathetically weak Cardiff was an easy task - now there are 4-6 teams who are all pushing hard for the play offs

Last season was not a poor points haul for a 6th placed team looking at the previous totals.

2015/16 - 6th place 74 points

2014/15 - 6th place 78 points

2013/14 - 6th place 72 points

2012/13 - 6th place 68 points

2012/11 - 6th place 75 points

2011/10 - 6th place 75 points

We also put the reserves out for the last game against wolves remember.

This season we are on track for 76 points with our current 1.64 Points Per Game ratio and i would expect us to increase that ratio.