Rival watch

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

Anyone get the impression we've just been sleep walking along this season assuming we will make top six?

That's why the frustration really kicked in for me yesterday and it's stuck with me all day and evening. I can just see it now. 28 games in is enough games to form an impression and this team will not change its rigid and coached style of play. 

Just now, SiJ said:

I personally think there are some players (not all) who think they're a bit better than they actually are and have ended up falling for the hype of last season. 

The sign of a good player/team is the ability to go again and prove that the previous "success" wasn't a one off. 

Time for some of these lads to step up and actually show they're good enough, rather than pratting about the pitch like a wannabe Iniesta. 

I get the sense they have realised or started too but were up against it now. Our tendency to lose our head with silly fouls might suggest something similar.

I get the sense they have realised or started too but were up against it now. Our tendency to lose our head with silly fouls might suggest something similar.

our ability cant be questioned, our approach, tenacity and guts can

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

That's why the frustration really kicked in for me yesterday and it's stuck with me all day and evening. I can just see it now. 28 games in is enough games to form an impression and this team will not change its rigid and coached style of play. 

At the start of the season we were leaving some big gaps and I think it was the Blackburn win where we adopted our conservative style to try and win ugly. It's served us well on the road but we haven't been able to get it right at home and we need to with so many home games. 

At the start of the season we were leaving some big gaps and I think it was the Blackburn win where we adopted our conservative style to try and win ugly. It's served us well on the road but we haven't been able to get it right at home and we need to with so many home games. 

Honestly would agree with that statement if it wasn't for the fact I checked this last night. Out of the top 9 teams in the league we have gained the least points away and we have played more away games than all of them by 1. For me we are to scared even away from home.

We've had 4 away wins in 15. Two against top 6 teams but against the rest to say we've only beaten Wolves and Blackburn from 13 other games is pretty dire. 

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

Guessing the absence of many draws is quite abnormal. Teams winning where we have picked up draws. 

IMO it's coaches realising draws are worthless and taking more risks to secure a win that will propel them up the table.

Conversely, we seem to have gone in completely the opposite direction in terms of mindset / approach.

Last seasons division was really weak

We only had a really poor Cardiff team to contend with and our points haul was low for a 6th placed team

It was always gonna be a tougher all this season

We have better players but the manager hasn't yet got to grips with getting the most from them 

This division is historically relentless - so we need to be too

If we get that then we should be fine - if we don't then...

10 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

We have been scraping results and ridden our luck.

when performances are unconvincing but still yielding points it doesn't take a lot for it to go the other way.

I don't think there has been one game this season so far where we have been comfortable or blown teams away in the way those above [and some below] us have.

Instead of building on last season, we have reinvented our vibrant, imaginative selves into some geriatric toothless shadow...

Here is the problem. We have changed our style of play to address the relatively poor away form from last season, but I doing so we have become largely ineffective at home, which is starting to make a huge difference. This time last season we were flying, the Birmingham away win just around the corner, with the top two looking over their shoulder at us. This season we are looking at the teams behind us and fretting, but we are 7th

Just now, Flat Owl said:

IMO it's coaches realising draws are worthless and taking more risks to secure a win that will propel them up the table.

Conversely, we seem to have gone in completely the opposite direction in terms of mindset / approach.

Yep, towards the start and middle of the season it seemed Reading and Leeds were finding their feet and were more conservative. They've built a platform of points and it's been the catalyst for confidence. They've both grown into the league as it's gone on and began to score more goals and string runs together. After our decent run we've starting turning out worse performances (post Newcastle) and seemed to retreat even more into ourselves. 

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Yep, towards the start and middle of the season it seemed Reading and Leeds were finding their feet and were more conservative. They've built a platform of points and it's been the catalyst for confidence. They've both grown into the league as it's gone on and began to score more goals and string runs together. After our decent run we've starting turning out worse performances (post Newcastle) and seemed to retreat even more into ourselves. 

I do find it odd that despite the talent we have at our disposal, we seem unable to do or even attempt to do anything about it....the only acknowledgment of the problem being the overnight reversion to last seasons personnel but not reverting to last seasons approach.

we are by no means matching the energy or dynamic as CC would say, with the levels of last season.  We are being outperformed [by even modest opposition] almost every game.

1 minute ago, S_W_F_C said:

I just don't trust us away from home, that's where our problems are. Our points tally at home is decent again 

Even despite performances and goals scored, yes it is. Mainly because teams are wary of us and don't really come to attack us. Which is how we play away from home and ironically also don't win many. Seems strange. Like we have too much respect.