Centre Half , but who?

Dunk would be great but unlikely, Duffy is poor, Manga I haven't seen enough of tbh, Mawson good shout.

Mulgrew possible too wages dependent or perhaps Wheater from Bolton.

Infact is Wes Brown still on a free?

Edited by coopswfc76

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I'd go Mulgrew or Mawson. Probly won't though. 

I'm thinking there's something in the Mulgrew link

As long as he isn't a complete 'jack of all trades', he can fill the remaining holes in our squad

Then hopefully, DC & CC will turn off their phones, for the remainder of the window

Within reason so > £4m  Ghoulan only seen him one African Cup of Nations game but impressed me. Fast and good in tackle and cover. Has a long throw which is something I keep banging on about. Much better value abroad than some mentioned here. I don't know his situation other than he was in France and moved to Napoli.

Make it clear this is a suggestion not a rumour. 

I can't see us spending big on a player who will at best come to challenge 2-3 others. I think we are far more likely to bring in an unknown or free that will either be similar to Lees (most I think would admit to being underwhelmed if not a little panicked based on his Leeds career) and that he rises in stock potentionally displacing a more established player. 

I think the positive for any incoming player is that game time should be there to prove yourself. As hutch likely to be injured at some point as is loovens. 

I trust Carlos to do his thing and bring a player unwanted at another and polish him up!! 

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Wonder if we might loan Sasso again.  I wouldn't, but as I've said in other threads, I don't think we will bring in an expensive CB as they will be seen as back up to Lees, Hutch and Loovens.

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Wonder if we might loan Sasso again.  I wouldn't, but as I've said in other threads, I don't think we will bring in an expensive CB as they will be seen as back up to Lees, Hutch and Loovens.

If our interest in Hanley was genuine, and I believe it was, then we are probably looking for a regular partner for Lees According to Nixon, we didn't go beyond £4m, when bidding for Hanley, but even that, surely indicates that it's likely to be a regular starter we're after

29 minutes ago, Patto said:

Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)

He's been mentioned a few times, and although I wouldn't mind him, he seems a bit makeshift. Certainly no Hanley, and not someone I'd call, a dominating centre half.

6 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Within reason so > £4m  Ghoulan only seen him one African Cup of Nations game but impressed me. Fast and good in tackle and cover. Has a long throw which is something I keep banging on about. Much better value abroad than some mentioned here. I don't know his situation other than he was in France and moved to Napoli.

Make it clear this is a suggestion not a rumour. 

That would be a dream, but he won't go for anything less than £20m, way to good for the championship. He's also a left back (a very attacking one at that).

Guest wilyfox
10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He's been mentioned a few times, and although I wouldn't mind him, he seems a bit makeshift. Certainly no Hanley, and not someone I'd call, a dominating centre half.

He's a better footballer than Hanley. Always got the impression he's a bit of a nob though. That's my only reservation about Mulgrew. 

Edited by wilyfox

30 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

He's a better footballer than Hanley. Always got the impression he's a bit of a nob though. That's my only reservation about Mulgrew. 

He might be, yes, and there are other advantages. His ability to play in other positions, though I've never found him that convincing in any. He has top level experience, and he'd also add goals, even from open play. All useful attributes, but he doesn't strike me as the sort of rock solid leader we need alongside Lees As I said, I wouldn't mind him, but would hope that we could do better.

5 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Mulgrew was a class act a few seasons back... As gurujuan mentioned he wouldn't be the commanding centre half Hanley would have been, but can certainly play there, left back (as pudil cover) and in midfield; can strike a deadball too!

He's played at the highest level (champions league certainly is, although Scotland certainly aren't) and has a point to prove... These seem to be assets we look for, plus he's a Jock to boot! (Carlos loves em!!)

My main reservation would be wages and his injury record over the last year or so... A Mulgrew of a few seasons back on a free would have been a no brainier

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He might be, yes, and there are other advantages. His ability to play in other positions, though I've never found him that convincing in any. He has top level experience, and he'd also add goals, even from open play. All useful attributes, but he doesn't strike me as the sort of rock solid leader we need alongside Lees As I said, I wouldn't mind him, but would hope that we could do better.

The solid leader is Loovens. I appreciate that some want him put out to pasture for age concerns, but not me. Hopefully he'll be back by the end of September. In the meantime, we need to cover him - not replace. Mulgrew ticks a lot of boxes for us, in my opinion. 

30 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

The solid leader is Loovens. I appreciate that some want him put out to pasture for age concerns, but not me. Hopefully he'll be back by the end of September. In the meantime, we need to cover him - not replace. Mulgrew ticks a lot of boxes for us, in my opinion. 

I'm not anti Mulgrew, but as I suggested, our pursuit of Hanley, to me indicated that we might be looking for a regular starter.