Centre Half , but who?

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Thats the big question. I think, had we been successful in securing Hanley' he'd have definitely been a regular, and probably would have taken over the captaincy. If we can't find similar, then the other option is to look at someone who might join us, predominantly as a squad player. Not sure which it will be, I guess it depends who's out there

Simply by going for the likes of Hanley implies CC had a first team CH in mind. Clearly continuous improvement is what we should be aiming for across all positions.

Just now, Juror8 said:

Reading are looking at Liam Moore from Leicester apparently. His career's stalled a bit after a promising start. Probably not the first choice we're looking for, but could be a savvy signing. 

What about a loan deal for the lad Arsenal Signed from Bolton, Rob Holding? 

Guest wilyfox

McNair would be good. Never understood the clamour for Liam Moore. Think he's bang average, defensively. Maybe he's the choice of those whose preference is a pacey centre-half? For me, there are more important requirements for that position. 

9 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I don't think many people will disagree with you. Hutchinson, at Chelsea, when playing centre half, was tipped to be the next John Terry (as cringey as that sounds!). I think most people have said for a while, that Hutchinson is far more suited to centre half than in midfield, and there's every possibility that if he starts there against Villa, and avoids any niggling/serious injuries, he could well play 40 games no problem.

But we need cover. Loovens is prone to the odd breakdown with injury, as is Hutchinson. That's why I wouldn't necessarily be in favour of spending millions on a centre half, because the ones we have currently ARE good enough. But, a couple of players who are as good/potentially better, and can cover a couple of positions would be ideal. Hence why I think Mulgrew/De Laet would be a shrewd double deal. Wouldn't cost more than a £1m for the pair, we'd get a huge amount of experience, versatility and reliability from them. 

I think the injury history to Hutch and Loovens must be a consideration in CC's thinking. Injuries are clearly difficult to predict but I don't think we can bring in another Latchman/Deilna 'back-up' player to fill in. If we have top six aspirations, IMO we need to bring in a first team CH who replaces Loovens.

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

You've got Hanley on the brain, mate. Let it go. There aren't many lefties like him available right now. Mulgrew good value, for me - if DC can bring his wages to an acceptable level. 

Nixon said last week that Mulgrew was a target but needed to drop his wage demands for any move to happen.

1 hour ago, S_W_F_C said:

I'd take McNair from United on a season long loan

Another vote for McNair from me, footballing playing centre back with a lot of potential.  Tho Celtic are interested so we'd have a job getting him to chose us over them. 

I remember when sunderland got promoted from this league they got a young Jonny Evans on loan from man Utd. 

Edited by Southie_Owl

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

My number one choice would be Ritchie De Laet from Leicester. Was on loan at Boro last season, but still played 12 games in Leicester's season, which meant he won both a Premier League & Championship winners medal.

Burnley won the Championship last season so I'm not to sure where he got his Championship Winners medal from...., perhaps EBay ?

May be nothing in it at all but we were sat to right of the stand today and in front of us were some scouts etc, well people with notebooks etc. Just before kick off a young 6ft athletic looking lad came and sat on same row. He was on his own or seemed to be. Both myself and the person with me assumed it was a player.  Never returned in 2nd half,not that I saw anyway

4 minutes ago, tashton said:

May be nothing in it at all but we were sat to right of the stand today and in front of us were some scouts etc, well people with notebooks etc. Just before kick off a young 6ft athletic looking lad came and sat on same row. He was on his own or seemed to be. Both myself and the person with me assumed it was a player.  Never returned in 2nd half,not that I saw anyway

Lachman?

It all depends if CC is looking for good cover or actively looking to reduce Loovens as the 1st choice partner to Lees. The problem with cover is that players want to come and play if on loan so it limits somewhat who you can go in for. Having said that an up and coming defender would be ideal for that; its just identifying them thats the tough part.

On 30 July 2016 at 22:18, swinners said:

Dunk for me (Brighton). Young, tall, paced, reads a game well and would be a real asset to us. Can see him partnering Lees for many years their forming a great partnership. Both these two were the best centre backs outside the prem last season. 

Agreed