Centre Half , but who?

28 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I don't think it's that important having a left footed CB. Maybe in a perfect world.

Its desirable, and it's more important if you're paying out a lot of money. I think, when full backs used to stay at home and all the centre backs had to do was, hold their positions in the centre, then maybe it was less important. Now they need to be more mobile and comfortable when covering for the full back. Think we really have to be thinking about a left footed centre half, if we are looking for a permanent deal

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Its desirable, and it's more important if you're paying out a lot of money. I think, when full backs used to stay at home and all the centre backs had to do was, hold their positions in the centre, then maybe it was less important. Now they need to be more mobile and comfortable when covering for the full back. Think we really have to be thinking about a left footed centre half, if we are looking for a permanent deal

We do look extremely well balanced when Loovens plays there to be fair. Finding a good one we could realistically sign is a bit of an issue though. Can't think of many who fit the bill.

44 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

We do look extremely well balanced when Loovens plays there to be fair. Finding a good one we could realistically sign is a bit of an issue though. Can't think of many who fit the bill.

38 minutes ago, mike312 said:

Brighton have turned down £8m for Dunk already. I can't see us being anywhere near him.

It is proving tricky, and like me, I believe Carlos had set his sights on Hanley as the perfect fit. When eventually, Newcastle's spending power, took him away from us, I briefly sensed a little frustration in Carlos. He probably has other targets, and I'm sure he's on with that now. As for Dunk, decent player though he is, I don't think he's for us. If Hanley represented the perfect fit for us, I can't see us doubling what we were prepared to pay, for someone who is not quite what we're looking for

During the early 90,s when we had Pearson , Shirtliff , Anderson and Warhurst i dont recall there being an urgent need for us to sign a "left" sided centre back.

Possibly if you were playing 3 - 5 - 2 a left sided player might be desirable , but if you are only going with two centre halfs then i dont think it matters a jot if they are both predominantly right or left footed.

2 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

During the early 90,s when we had Pearson , Shirtliff , Anderson and Warhurst i dont recall there being an urgent need for us to sign a "left" sided centre back.

Possibly if you were playing 3 - 5 - 2 a left sided player might be desirable , but if you are only going with two centre halfs then i dont think it matters a jot if they are both predominantly right or left footed.

It's what I was saying, it was less important back then, but with sides now looking to play through the lines, and full backs acting as wingers, it's now more important that the central defenders are able to cover left and right. Not absolutely crucial, but desire able Can remember us conceding a few goals last season because of that imbalance, notably when Turner was taking that left sided role.

10 hours ago, gurujuan said:

It is proving tricky, and like me, I believe Carlos had set his sights on Hanley as the perfect fit. When eventually, Newcastle's spending power, took him away from us, I briefly sensed a little frustration in Carlos. He probably has other targets, and I'm sure he's on with that now. As for Dunk, decent player though he is, I don't think he's for us. If Hanley represented the perfect fit for us, I can't see us doubling what we were prepared to pay, for someone who is not quite what we're looking for

How on earth do you know what Carlos is thinking? 

7 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Gary Cahill for me, but I doubt he'd drop so far so quickly (not sure if he's getting a look in at Chelsea this season or not?), and he'll be on mega-money.

yeah gary cahill who plays for Chelsea on £100,000 a week is going to sign for sheffield wednesday in the championship :stuwinky:

Edited by james o connor

1 minute ago, james o connor said:

yeah gary cahill who play for chelsea on £100,000 a week is going to sign for sheffield wednesday in the championship :stuwinky:

His name crops up because he's a life long Wednesday fan. If we got to the Prem I think we might be able to temp him. Not until then though.

Guest wilyfox
32 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It's what I was saying, it was less important back then, but with sides now looking to play through the lines, and full backs acting as wingers, it's now more important that the central defenders are able to cover left and right. Not absolutely crucial, but desire able Can remember us conceding a few goals last season because of that imbalance, notably when Turner was taking that left sided role.

In fairness, I think Dunk plays left side with Goldson on the right for Brighton. It's not about the need to be a leftie; they must be familiar and comfortable playing on the left side - that's not the same thing. Dunk isn't viable anyway. People dreaming of Dunk and Knockaert best spunk their load before they wake up, then back to the real world. 

Guest gibkevin

Pennington and Browning the young Everton defenders looked decent when he played a few games in the Prem last season

All this bull about left/right footed.

These people are getting payed shed loads of £'s so should be able to kick with both feet.

Yes, they will have a dominant foot, but for the love of god, they do F all else all day....

Get practicing in training to kick with your "weaker foot" so they are comfortable using either !

All you want from a centre half is to be good/dominant in the air, quick(ish) across the ground, be able to read the game, have good positional sense, and to be able to pass it accurately about 20yds (max to fit in with our style of play), to our fluent midfielders who will pick it up and turn defense into attack.

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Gary Cahill for me, but I doubt he'd drop so far so quickly (not sure if he's getting a look in at Chelsea this season or not?), and he'll be on 

giphy.gif

Edited by poite

5 minutes ago, poite said:

James tarkowski for me. Didnt get much of a look in at burnley last season as far as im aware.

Not a bad shout, sure I read that he was being touted as a makeweight in a deal Burnley were trying to do for another player so may be available? That said, no idea if he is on our radar or who CC has in mind.