Centre Half , but who?

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I'm not anti Mulgrew, but as I suggested, our pursuit of Hanley, to me indicated that we might be looking for a regular starter.

You've got Hanley on the brain, mate. Let it go. There aren't many lefties like him available right now. Mulgrew good value, for me - if DC can bring his wages to an acceptable level. 

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

You've got Hanley on the brain, mate. Let it go. There aren't many lefties like him available right now. Mulgrew good value, for me - if DC can bring his wages to an acceptable level. 

This is all based on Nixon being correct.

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, rawowl said:

This is all based on Nixon being correct.

Its based on my opinion, nothing more. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Wily has a point but I agree more with the Loovens comments.  Glenn is our leader and captain.  Fill the hole without spending a fortune, until Glenn is fit!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 minutes ago, woodhouseowl82 said:

Problem may be we have two poor CBs on the books already in dielna and lachman which may need shifting before we bring in another 

Really hope not Woody!

46 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Actually, the dearth of available left sided central defenders, is one of the reasons I'd consider Mulgrew. 

Be interesting to see if CC shares many fans' opinion that Hutch is classed as one of our CHs. 

Personally I think Hutch is similar to Palmer in the 90s in that he was needed to fill in when injuries struck, not one of our 4 CHs. I agree that we need to move on Latchman and Dielna and bring in at least one player who's considered to be a first team starter.

7 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Within reason so > £4m  Ghoulan only seen him one African Cup of Nations game but impressed me. Fast and good in tackle and cover. Has a long throw which is something I keep banging on about. Much better value abroad than some mentioned here. I don't know his situation other than he was in France and moved to Napoli.

Make it clear this is a suggestion not a rumour. 

Good shout Nev, where you hear this then????????????????

lol

9 minutes ago, Animis said:

Be interesting to see if CC shares many fans' opinion that Hutch is classed as one of our CHs. 

Personally I think Hutch is similar to Palmer in the 90s in that he was needed to fill in when injuries struck, not one of our 4 CHs. I agree that we need to move on Latchman and Dielna and bring in at least one player who's considered to be a first team starter.

I think most fans' opinions on this matter were shaped by Carlos himself:

“Sam will probably play more centre-back than in midfield this season."

“Sam has known since the beginning of the season and has trained with everyone at centre-back,” Carvalhal said. “We often play him at centre-half even though we know he can play in midfield or at right-back. He can play everywhere. He’s training like a centre-back."

“He has everything to play at centre-half."

“When I talk with him, I say to him since the beginning that you will start training as a centre-half even though we don’t know what’s happening with Loovens.”

If we're looking for a backup, Mulgrew is absolutely perfect due to his ability to play effectively in several positions

I like others have some reservations about us forking out too much for a new first choice centre-back, with both Hutch and Loovens being very solid, I'd deem it a little unnecessary. Granted they're both a little bit fragile when it comes to injuries, but between them we've got about one-and-a-half season's worth of appearances in them so shouldn't be too bad. Add in Mulgrew and another full-back on loan and we're laughing, especially as we've seen Pudil can do a job there halfway through a game in the worst-case scenario.

However, if we must fork out for a new CB, then it needs to be be on someone that'll partner Lees for the long-term. Dunk, Tarkowski, someone of that ilk. Obviously these two are unlikely (read: Impossible), but we need to be aiming for a centre half as good as Lees in their mid-20s if we're pushing the boat out. Even better if they can carry the ball like Tom or Hutch can to assist with us playing our game, which would be one of my first reservations about someone like Flint! Advantages are of course though that you're guaranteed about 6 goals from him a season from set-pieces.

Decisions decisions, there are certainly players out there... wouldn't surprise me if we look abroad though for this one

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I think most fans' opinions on this matter were shaped by Carlos himself:

“Sam will probably play more centre-back than in midfield this season."

“Sam has known since the beginning of the season and has trained with everyone at centre-back,” Carvalhal said. “We often play him at centre-half even though we know he can play in midfield or at right-back. He can play everywhere. He’s training like a centre-back."

“He has everything to play at centre-half."

“When I talk with him, I say to him since the beginning that you will start training as a centre-half even though we don’t know what’s happening with Loovens.”

I think he's a decent CH. CC's comments may be more down to the fact that Hutch's days in midfield are numbered, and he's now more a utility/squad player for when injuries arise. I suppose we'll see where he ranks in the order if we bring anyone in to cover Lees and Loovens.

33 minutes ago, Animis said:

I think he's a decent CH. CC's comments may be more down to the fact that Hutch's days in midfield are numbered, and he's now more a utility/squad player for when injuries arise. I suppose we'll see where he ranks in the order if we bring anyone in to cover Lees and Loovens.

Think he's definitely viewed as predominantly a centre back. To my mind, he's excellent foil for Lees, although I'm sure there'll be occasions when both play. The best pairing, out of the options we currently have, is the Lees/Loovens combination. If we could add another to the mix, who offered us aerial dominance, and was genuinely left footed, or comfortable playing there, then we'd be set.

My number one choice would be Ritchie De Laet from Leicester. Was on loan at Boro last season, but still played 12 games in Leicester's season, which meant he won both a Premier League & Championship winners medal.

He's versatile, can play right back and centre half. Is comfortable on the ball, and a commanding presence as well. Would perhaps be available for loan once again come the end of the window. He'd certainly tick a lot of boxes. In fact, I'd say with Mulgrew & De Laet, that would cover both full backs & centre halves positions very nicely.

Another player I'd be keeping a close eye on, is Ben Gibson at Boro. Young, experienced, proven at this level. He could be another player who becomes available at the end of the window. I've no idea if he'd be considered a starter, but it seems like Boro have made a couple of additions to their back line, and Ayala will certainly be one of the centre halves, so Gibson may get pushed to one side. Doubt he'd be available now, but perhaps like Reach & Forshaw at Boro, may become available as the window comes close to closing. 

Dunk will be well out of our price range...they rejected a £8m bid from WBA last week didn't they? Duffy is poor. Cumbersome, no pace, certainly not as good as Lees, Loovens or Hutchinson. Maguire, although lacking any pace, could be a decent option, but he won't be available at present, unless for silly money, because of Hull's horrendous injury situation. 

Edited by frastheowl

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Think he's definitely viewed as predominantly a centre back. To my mind, he's excellent foil for Lees, although I'm sure there'll be occasions when both play. The best pairing, out of the options we currently have, is the Lees/Loovens combination. If we could add another to the mix, who offered us aerial dominance, and was genuinely left footed, or comfortable playing there, then we'd be set.

Yes - I agree. So adding another that would be the four CHs if we assume Latchman and Dielna ar now out on the picture. However, do we bring in a squad player for a couple of hundred thou or an established first team starter for a million or so. If the latter, then for me it has to be a replacement for Loovens. That would leave Loovens and Hutch as the back up. Obviously this assumes everyone's fit and I appreciate there will be loss in form and different tactics required as the season unfolds.

30 minutes ago, Animis said:

Yes - I agree. So adding another that would be the four CHs if we assume Latchman and Dielna ar now out on the picture. However, do we bring in a squad player for a couple of hundred thou or an established first team starter for a million or so. If the latter, then for me it has to be a replacement for Loovens. That would leave Loovens and Hutch as the back up. Obviously this assumes everyone's fit and I appreciate there will be loss in form and different tactics required as the season unfolds.

Thats the big question. I think, had we been successful in securing Hanley' he'd have definitely been a regular, and probably would have taken over the captaincy. If we can't find similar, then the other option is to look at someone who might join us, predominantly as a squad player. Not sure which it will be, I guess it depends who's out there

Lees

Loovens

Hutch

Are absolutely fantastic options for us at centre back. On any given day we could start with any 2 of the 3 and remain comfortable and competitive against any opposition in this league. 

The problem is obviously availability. We're going to be without 1 for the first few weeks of the season and we still have to treat Hutch as a luxury for half a season at best. If we've got money to spend on a centre back, and I agree with Gurujan that our interest in Hanley suggests we do, then I don't see why we shouldn't be looking to "replace" Loovens and Hutch with another quality addition there. If we can partner Lees with someone who is both better and more reliable than Loovens and Hutch, then why wouldn't we?

I'm not a fan of the idea of signing a "utility" player or someone who would be playing second fiddle to Loovens and Hutch, just to a fill a hole in their absence, like Charlie Mulgrew. If we're going to bother at all then it should be someone who is at least as good and hopefully more injury reliant, to possibly even keep both out of the team when they are fit rather than happily making way for Loovens once he's back.

1x permanent CB and 1x left back on loan for me completes our business for the summer. I don't think making that 1x permanent CB a high quality, first team ready player with a price tag is a big ask really in our current position. 

3 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

I will make a little prediction now if he stays fit. Sam Hutchinson is a better centre back than Tom Lees

Im delighted Carlos is playing him there.

We'd have to spend millions to better either of these two, don't see it. Adequate cover in the loan market will do for us.

If we are going to make one more splash in the transfer market then please inject some pace into the team please.

I don't think many people will disagree with you. Hutchinson, at Chelsea, when playing centre half, was tipped to be the next John Terry (as cringey as that sounds!). I think most people have said for a while, that Hutchinson is far more suited to centre half than in midfield, and there's every possibility that if he starts there against Villa, and avoids any niggling/serious injuries, he could well play 40 games no problem.

But we need cover. Loovens is prone to the odd breakdown with injury, as is Hutchinson. That's why I wouldn't necessarily be in favour of spending millions on a centre half, because the ones we have currently ARE good enough. But, a couple of players who are as good/potentially better, and can cover a couple of positions would be ideal. Hence why I think Mulgrew/De Laet would be a shrewd double deal. Wouldn't cost more than a £1m for the pair, we'd get a huge amount of experience, versatility and reliability from them.