1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

Hooper - probably in the starting 11

Fletcher - probably in the starting 11

Forestieri - often deployed out wide

Joao - squad player

Nuhiu - squad player

Hirst - youth player

Bus - transfer listed.

Forestieri often on the left, fletcher with a sketchy fitness record, and Joao inconsistent. Not exactly overloaded with strikers.

If Joao had continued to improve after the first couple of months then you could see Atdhe moving on but he didn't so it's good to still have him here

3 minutes ago, Ronio said:

I personally can't see the big man leaving this summer.  

I can or rather he should along with the rest of our deadwood, if we're serious about going for top two. We've got 4 better strikers, plus I can still see us bringing in someone like Vydra, even though it's more important we strengthen defensively.

1 hour ago, since59owe said:

Since  his debut at QPR, where he looked useful, he's gone backwards ...

He had a good debut then was terrible for months. The season after he scored 9 or 10 goals so he didn't go backwards. The team has since moved forward quickly and he is no longer a starter.

Overall Hes been inconsistent. But his sheer size makes him different from everyone else and an extra option in some games. He helped get Hooper into the game at times last season.

Edited by Bluesteel

I see him leaving next summer to be honest gives Joao another year to progress but that's just an opinion.

He's certainly not the worst forward we've had in the last twenty years either although reading some comments on here you would think so.

And the we need better brigade ignore the fact since we signed him , we have upgraded and bought better , FF , Hooper , Fletcher etc which is why he will be a bit part player. 

i respect their opinions but I do see that he's a marmite player . 

1 minute ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

I can or rather he should along with the rest of our deadwood, if we're serious about going for top two. We've got 4 better strikers, plus I can still see us bringing in someone like Vydra, even though it's more important we strengthen defensively.

Last season we brought in 3 top strikers in Forestieri, Joao and Hooper.  At least 7 million pounds worth in strikers considering what we paid for them.  

I thought at the time, we could see Atdhe moving slowly down the pecking order.  Instead, he forced his way back into the team and rightfully so given what he brought to the team.  

This season, we have added Fletcher up front.  Immediately many now think it's time to get rid of Nuhiu.  

Personally I see him as our insurance policy for our striker department, someone who will do the dirty work so as to protect our other strikers.  That surely has to have value imo.  

The irony is that a player who cost us nothing, in effect is helping protect our multi million pound assets.  

The question for me is, do we get rid of that insurance, or do we keep him for another season?

It really foxes me how people on here (generally) think that they know better than a manager who knows how football works, what tactics work where and works with the guy daily. 

If if he was that bad, 3 successive managers, and 2 with plenty of resource, still rate him enough to play him regularly. 

Also, people saying that he's not good enough for a team with intentions of to promotion; well, he played regularly last year in a team that was 90 minutes away from achieving promotion. 

I still don't see the point of keeping him in the squad, when we've already got better. We've got four quality attackers and could even play Matias in a front three. If we got rid of the deadwood it would free up room and wages to increase our strength in depth. We could bring in a quality attacking loanee if needs be? Someone like Matej Vydra or Nelson Oliveira would be a far better option to have than Nuhiu. Even if we didn't bring in another in, we're more than covered upfront. I don't see him getting any game time this season, apart from in the early rounds of the Cup's.

16 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Last season we brought in 3 top strikers in Forestieri, Joao and Hooper.  At least 7 million pounds worth in strikers considering what we paid for them.  

I thought at the time, we could see Atdhe moving slowly down the pecking order.  Instead, he forced his way back into the team and rightfully so given what he brought to the team.  

This season, we have added Fletcher up front.  Immediately many now think it's time to get rid of Nuhiu.  

Personally I see him as our insurance policy for our striker department, someone who will do the dirty work so as to protect our other strikers.  That surely has to have value imo.  

The irony is that a player who cost us nothing, in effect is helping protect our multi million pound assets.  

The question for me is, do we get rid of that insurance, or do we keep him for another season?

Until Joao steps up we still need him this season...we know what Atdhe can do we don't know if Joao will be able to do it for us

Edited by daveyboy66

We know he's not that good at this level. Runs like he's towing a tyre. Can't really control a ball, gives away cheap free kicks around their penalty area falling over when he's tackled by the 5'5' defender when he also lost out in the air to him. However he'll stay for the bit of something he brings 1 in every 5 or 6 games.

3 minutes ago, DevOwls Advocate said:

Then your opinion is not shared by David Eric Hirst, who I overheard at Stocksbridge today, thinks Big Dave could be on his way...

If true and he does leave, will another forward be brought in, do you reckon?

Could we go for someone like Vydra?

Just now, Milan Missing Marble said:

If true and he does leave, will another forward be brought in, do you reckon?

Could we go for someone like Vydra?

DEH was very much like me and you, not stating fact, but what he'd heard as rumour.

In answer to your question, I'd say it depends on:

1. Planned formation (4-4-2 makes need more likely if Atdhe leaves, 4-3-3 makes it less likely).

2. Planned usage of Joao, last season started to interchange between wide left and CF. If CC views Joao as too lightweight for CF then a back-up for Fletcher could be sought.

Personally I think permutations that Nando, Hooper, Joao and Hooper offer is sufficient, and would rather us add real pace out wide as an extra option (sadly don't think Helan is up to it).

Joao has been given a lot more game time than Nuhiu in the pre season games.  If we want Joao to develop further then he needs to be playing as much as possible.

We have two to play up top, Joao and Fletcher and two second strikers in Hooper and FF.

However we might keep Athde cos of the new loan rules .

Wouldn't be surprised to see Patrick Bamford coming in on loan. 

Once the big clubs sort their squads out, there will be loads of movement in the loan market in the last few weeks of August. 

On 30/07/2016 at 14:44, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

For such a big bloke he is pretty shybo in the air. 

he is, BUT...

for some reason that quite a few of us don't see...

he actually troubles some defences quite a lot...

remember the 'boro' fans wanting him not to play against them, as he'd given their defence a torrid time...

loveable guy, but we can, and should be aiming for better...

someone who troubles defences far more, someone a much bigger threat in the air at least for if, and when we have to go more direct late on in games...

On 7/30/2016 at 21:58, oldishowl said:

Joao has been given a lot more game time than Nuhiu in the pre season games.  If we want Joao to develop further then he needs to be playing as much as possible.

We have two to play up top, Joao and Fletcher and two second strikers in Hooper and FF.

However we might keep Athde cos of the new loan rules .

Not in our first team. He was poor since december and has done nowt in pre season. a loan elsewhere might be beneficial