Official: McGugan is off...

8 hours ago, domSWFC said:

Great midfielder. Top half championship level for sure. Just seems as though he's got an attitude or commitment problem that stops him being a long term good player. Always seems to show his quality when he's got a point to prove but once it's proved be disappears again. 

Wish him all the best, and hope he can get his career on track again. 

Agree with that to some extent, but I don't really think he was given a proper chance last season. He had to go, can't be playing someone as much as he's on with such a minor part. 

Hope he gets regular footy now, and hopefully this means we're getting better in.

Guest wilyfox

Carlos says it's not an issue of quality or attitude, so maybe it's physical. Perhaps Lewis simply can't play with the same intensity as Lee and Bannan for 90mins. Different physique; maybe he's not built for it, or possibly doesn't have the stamina. 

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

No fee - are you kidding? Youtube Newcastle game to remind you how fantastic he was that night.

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

is free to leave the same as he can leave on a free?.......when you see the fees  bandied about for some very mediocre players seems daft to just give em away same applies to bus as well .

Pretty sure you're across this anyway but, possibly told that he is free to find another club which means he can seek a transfer, discuss personal terms then any interested clubs would need to talk to Wednesday and negotiate a fee.

We don't score enough goals from midfield so to possibly move McGugan on when you consider his goal to game ratio was with the exception of Hooper and Forrestieri as good as anyone in the squad last season is a debatable call IMO?

That said if he's not going to figure in Carlos' plans this season then a move is probably best for both parties but it's a shame as I could see him going elsewhere in the championship and banging in 10-15 goals in the coming campaign.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The fact that I'm so indifferent towards McGugan's imminent departure tells me everything I need to know about how far our style of football has progressed in the past 12 months.

I was desperate for us to sign him last summer (I don't know if I've mentioned this before... but I actually suggested signing him two years ago, before his initial loan move :ph34r:), and I thought he'd be one of our key players last season. However, he just hasn't been able to adapt his style to fit in with Carlos' philosophy, so it's time for him to go.

We're playing the best football a Wednesday team has played in a generation, and the fact that a player as gifted as Lewis McGugan can't get a game should be cause for celebration. In the past, he'd have been our stand-out player; now we have a stand-out team instead.

Spot on. Pretty much mirrors my feelings exactly (apart from the bit about suggesting him before the loan)

Edited by themaskedowl

5 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

If we can get rid of him off the wage bill that probably pays the wages of Pudil. Makes sense letting him go.

We that skint?

2 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Not saying he's wrong, or that his info in this case is unreliable. Have had dealings with reporters in the past, and you cannot always rely on the fact that they are printing the truth, but simply the truth as they see it. 

It's either true or not you can't have a truth for one person and truth for another....  Oh, forget it, not going down that route again.

48 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We don't score enough goals from midfield so to possibly move McGugan on when you consider his goal to game ratio was with the exception of Hooper and Forrestieri as good as anyone in the squad last season is a debatable call IMO?

Likely midfield is full of goals. This is what they scored last season:-

Wallace 6

Lee 7

Bannan 3

FF 6 (from 9 matches in midfield)

Dont imagine many teams had such high scoring midfields.

Edited by Holmowl

Guest Ash76
1 hour ago, BRADFIELDOWLS said:

No fee - are you kidding? Youtube Newcastle game to remind you how fantastic he was that night.

Goal aside, he was crap that night 

What is worrying is that CC does not see that our midfield does not score enough goals while Lewis could do so. Our style's weakness was revealed in our matches vs top teams last season; we play our best football on the halfway line but it fades as we move forward with FF rescuing us from drought of goals. Even Huddersfield away last season when we were at our peak form, it was true. A brilliant goal from FF won the match which otherwise would have been a midfield stalemate 0-0. Tikka takka seems to be CC's preference but even Spain began to look toothless after a while playing that way.