What the rest of the league are getting up too. (Transfer Update)

WHO?????

Wolves are believed to be close to signing Reims defensive midfielder Prince Oniangue 

The 27-year-old Congo international was believed to be shown around Compton Park today ahead of rumoured £1.9m move.

New Wolves owners Fosun have  made it no secret they want to bring in new signings as Wolves look for a route back to the Premier League.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

If we get beat on Saturday, I wonder if DC will do the same?

Whatever the result Saturday, we still need to bring in a quality centre back and a quality defensive/combative midfielder of a high enough standard to improve what we've got. Ideally I'd love for us to bring in someone like Bruno Manga and Berem Kayal or Jeff Hendrick but I can't see fellow promotion rivals selling to us.

2 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Whatever the result Saturday, we still need to bring in a quality centre back and a quality defensive/combative midfielder of a high enough standard to improve what we've got. Ideally I'd love for us to bring in someone like Bruno Manga and Berem Kayal or Jeff Hendrick but I can't see fellow promotion rivals selling to us.

I don't think you've mentioned Bruno Manga

32 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Yes, I had hoped we'd have had a couple more in by now. Games are coming thick and fast and we don't want to get off to another slow start

Emyr Huws is a quality signing for Cardiff and someone I would've liked us to bring in but I don't think he'll be as effective for them as he was at Huddersfield? Cardiff are a far more defensive side than Huddersfield even though they're a much stronger side.

Despite all the big spending by the likes of the relegated sides, Wolves and potentially Derby too. I can see the continuity at some of the established sides at this level such as ourselves; Brighton, Ipswich, Birmingham and Cardiff, plus Norwich's readymade quality side at this level being stronger and having more momentum than the biggest spenders.

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, I had hoped we'd have had a couple more in by now. Games are coming thick and fast and we don't want to get off to another slow start

Aye but like the owlsman pointed out in his thread earlier today our continuity and momentum could be more beneficial. Plus it could give us a head start on some of the big spenders and teams with a lot of upheaval and changes on and off the pitch.

30 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Emyr Huws is a quality signing for Cardiff and someone I would've liked us to bring in but I don't think he'll be as effective for them as he was at Huddersfield? Cardiff are a far more defensive side than Huddersfield even though they're a much stronger side.

Despite all the big spending by the likes of the relegated sides, Wolves and potentially Derby too. I can see the continuity at some of the established sides at this level such as ourselves; Brighton, Ipswich, Birmingham and Cardiff, plus Norwich's readymade quality side at this level being stronger and having more momentum than the biggest spenders.

As things stand, we're top six challengers like last season, which means we're set for another exciting season, without the cup run of course. Don't think we've yet done the sort of business that would see us close the gap 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

As things stand, we're top six challengers like last season, which means we're set for another exciting season, without the cup run of course. Don't think we've yet done the sort of business that would see us close the gap 

Although I would like to see a few more in , I think the signings of Fletcher and Abdi really does bring us on.

Last season we drew far too many games at home which their presence may have made a differance. 

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

To be honest with you I'm not sure either?

Abdi and Fletcher are quality though and two defensive players of that level would really give us a top two looking side. It's hard to gauge this early on but going on last season, the slowish start gave us a lot to do.

This season we don't need as many players and most of our rivals are like we were at the start of last season with lots of changes on and off the pitch. I think that could give us a better chance than last season and a head start. But to maintain a top two push all season in a tougher looking division, I do think we need a quality centre back and a quality defensive/combative midfielder. Get those in and I really think we could go up in the top two positions.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

3 big things were responsible for us not getting promoted last season

1) Inability to beat teams that parked the bus.

2) Poor start

3) No replacement/alternative to FF

I think the signings of Fletcher and Abdi go a long way to solving all 3 of these issues. More players would be fantastic, and I hope we sign some, but we have definitely improved on last season's squad already.

11 minutes ago, joelswfc said:

3 big things were responsible for us not getting promoted last season

1) Inability to beat teams that parked the bus.

2) Poor start

3) No replacement/alternative to FF

I think the signings of Fletcher and Abdi go a long way to solving all 3 of these issues. More players would be fantastic, and I hope we sign some, but we have definitely improved on last season's squad already.

I do agree with you.

Fletcher and Abdi are quality at this level and good enough for the top flight. All I feel we lack is a consistent centre back partner for Lees and a combative defensive midfielder or defensive midfielder leader.

Our biggest strength going into this season is our continuity and momentum. We haven't got as many players to blood in or changes on and off the pitch to get in the way of our early season push. Whereas many of our promotion rivals have got a lot of changes to deal with and players or coaches to gel in, etc which could play into our hands give established teams at this level like us; Brighton, Ipswich, Birmingham, etc a head start.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

Our big problem would be a spate of injuries. 

There's pretty much quality in every department of the side, but an injury or two at center back for instance and were in trouble. 

We only have one recognised left back currently after the Bennett deal fell through. 

There's still three or so weeks of the window to go, so I'm not too worried. 

The squad is far better and more settled than it was at this point last year.

1 hour ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

To be honest with you I'm not sure either?

Abdi and Fletcher are quality though and two defensive players of that level would really give us a top two looking side. It's hard to gauge this early on but going on last season, the slowish start gave us a lot to do.

This season we don't need as many players and most of our rivals are like we were at the start of last season with lots of changes on and off the pitch. I think that could give us a better chance than last season and a head start. But to maintain a top two push all season in a tougher looking division, I do think we need a quality centre back and a quality defensive/combative midfielder. Get those in and I really think we could go up in the top two positions.

Pretty much my thoughts, if we can add real quality with those two purchases, a centre back, and a bit of steel in midfield, then bring in 2 or 3 loans to challenge, then we're talking about a serious challenge