What the rest of the league are getting up too. (Transfer Update)

Guest wilyfox

Wolves' strategy is v.risky. They're loading up on foreigners with no experience over here. Could work, could fall on their face. 

11 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

They're going to go pop in a big way methinks...

They really have gone for the "Throw it at the wall and hope something sticks" strategy and I really can't see it serving them well

Spoke to a mate who is a Wolves fan last night. While he is pleased they have money to spend he is far from being convinced by what they are spending it on

40 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Wolves' strategy is v.risky. They're loading up on foreigners with no experience over here. Could work, could fall on their face. 

I guess they're conducting all their business through Mendes. At the moment though, it's more of a case of them bigging it up, "we're gonna sign this player" Probably raises the profile of the club, but more importantly, to Mendes anyway, puts his players in the spotlight. If they can pull off the signing of Talisca though, then I might start to take them seriously. As you say though, a risky strategy

Edited by gurujuan

8 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Have to agree I'm afraid. I just can't see a strategy like that working in the championship. Tried and tested has to be the formula surely?

Not even that. I can get behind the signing foreign players and giving them a season to bed in and hope two thirds end up adapting OK, but it's the fact they're signing players that can't get a game in Benfica. Some of Benfica's players are absolute class, some are about upper Championship standards, if you're signing their fringe players then you're not really getting quality in... and this is all before you add the compounding issues of them being foreign and having to adapt

I'm looking at some of their new signings right now... Silvio the right back, 10 starts in the last 3 seasons. Is that it? Not only does that suggest he's utter cack, but he's hardly going to be match savvy is he? Joao Teixeira, half season long loan to a poor Portuguese Prem team, only two starts for them last season. It's not proven quality, it's the rejects from a big team that are on a lot of money

As my Wolves supporting housemate has pointed out, they haven't actually spent a lot of money on signings yet, but the wages must be horrendous. I wouldn't be happy if I were Danny Batth on my £15k a week or whatever he's on and then Luisao rocks up on nearly £60k looking like he's running in treacle. Beast yes, but a slow beast who can't have much left in him. 

Until Wolves sort their recruitment strategy out I think they're due for a very expensive mid-table finish

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Not even that. I can get behind the signing foreign players and giving them a season to bed in and hope two thirds end up adapting OK, but it's the fact they're signing players that can't get a game in Benfica. Some of Benfica's players are absolute class, some are about upper Championship standards, if you're signing their fringe players then you're not really getting quality in... and this is all before you add the compounding issues of them being foreign and having to adapt

I'm looking at some of their new signings right now... Silvio the right back, 10 starts in the last 3 seasons. Is that it? Not only does that suggest he's utter cack, but he's hardly going to be match savvy is he? Joao Teixeira, half season long loan to a poor Portuguese Prem team, only two starts for them last season. It's not proven quality, it's the rejects from a big team that are on a lot of money

As my Wolves supporting housemate has pointed out, they haven't actually spent a lot of money on signings yet, but the wages must be horrendous. I wouldn't be happy if I were Danny Batth on my £15k a week or whatever he's on and then Luisao rocks up on nearly £60k looking like he's running in treacle. Beast yes, but a slow beast who can't have much left in him. 

Until Wolves sort their recruitment strategy out I think they're due for a very expensive mid-table finish

Got very good odds with betfair for them not to finish in the top six over even money 

Sorry the updates been a bit late. Plenty of movement since last time! Primarily from ourselves. 

Aston Villa - Aaron Tshibola £5M, Pierluigi Gollini £4.25M, Tommy Elphick £3M, Ross McCormack £12M, James Chester £8M. NET SPEND -£16M

Barnsley - George Moncur 500k. Tom Bradshaw £600k NET SPEND -£1.1M

Birmingham - Robert Tesche Free, James Vaughan Free, Ryan Shotton Undisc, Che Adams £1.7M, Greg Stewart £500k. NET SPEND -£2.2M

Blackburn - Danny Graham Free, Anthony Stokes Free, Liam Feeney Free, Jack Byrne Loan. Gordon Greer FreeNET SPEND +£5.5M

Brentford - John Egan Free, Romaine Sawyers Free, Daniel Bentley Free, Emmanuel Ledesma. NET SPEND +£3.2M

Brighton - Steve Sidwell Free, Glenn Murray Loan, Oliver Norwood £2.5M NET SPEND -£2.5M

Bristol City - Lee Tomlin £3M, Hordur Magnusson £2.5M, Gary O'Neill Free, Josh Brownhill Free. Callum O’Dowda £1M, Tammy Abraham Loan. NET SPEND -£5.75M

Burton Albion - Ben Turner Free. Jackson Irvine £300k, Callum MacFadzean £200k, Chris O’Grady Loan, Lloyd Dyer Free, Lee Williamson Free, NET SPEND -£500k

Cardiff City - Frederic Guongbe Free, Lex Immers Undisc, Kenneth Zohore Undisc. Jazz Richards swap deal, Emyr Huws Undisc. NET SPEND Undisc. 

Derby County -  NET SPEND +£1M

Fulham - Floyd Ayite £1.7M, Michael Madl £1.3M, Sone Aluko Free. David Button £2M, Scott Malone Swap deal, Denis Odoi £800k. Tomas Kalas Loan. Jozabed Sanchez £3M, Kevin

McDonald £1.3M, NET SPEND +£9M

Huddersfield - Chris Schindler £1.7M, Jon Stankovic £500k, Chris Lowe Free, Micheal Hefele Free, Jack Payne Free, Ivan Paurevic Undisc, Rajiv Van La Parra Undisc. Elias Kachunga £200k, Aaron Mooy Loan. NET SPEND -£1.4M

Ipswich T - Adam Webster £800k, Grant Ward £600K NET SPEND -£1.4M 

Leeds Utd - Kemar Roofe £3M, Marcus Antonsson £1.7M, Rob Green Free, Hadi Sacko Loan, Kyle Bartley Loan, Matt Grimes Loan. Luke Ayling £750K, Pablo Hernandez Loan. NET SPEND +£250k

Newcastle Utd - Matt Ritchie £12M, Dwight Gayle £10M, Matz Sels £5M, Isaac Hayden £2.5M, Grant Hanley £5.5M Ciaren Clark £5M, Mo Diame £4.5M NET SPEND +£5M 

Norwich City – Sergi Canos £2.5M, Alex Pritchard £8M. NET SPEND +£500k

Nottm Forest - Apostollos Vellios £1M, Thomas Lam Free, Armand Traore Free, Damien Perquis Free, Stephen Henderson Free, Hildoberto Loan, Pajtim Ksami Loan. NET SPEND -£1M 

Preston NE - Callum Robinson Free, Chris Maxwell Free, Anders Lindegaard Free, Tommy Spurr Free, Simon Makienok Loan. Eoin Doyle Undisc, Ben Pringle £250K NET SPEND -£250k

QPR - Ariel Borysiuk £1.5M, Joel Lynch £1.2M, Jake Bidwell £1.2M, Jordan Cousins £1.3M, N’Gbakoto £1.5M NET SPEND +£3.2M

Reading - Danzell Gravenberch Free, Joey Van Den Berg Free, Anssi Jaakola Free, Joseph Mendes Undisc, Roy Beerens £800K John Swift Loan, Callum Harriot £1.5M NET SPEND +£5.2M

Rotherham - Anthony Ford Undisc, Lewis Price Free, Jake Forster Caskey Loan. Kelvin Wilson Free, Scott Allan Loan, Jon Taylor £500k, Will Vaulks £400k NET SPEND -£900k

Sheff Weds - Steven Fletcher Free, Jake Kean Free, Almen Abdi £4M, Daniel Pudil £2M, Will Buckley loan, David Jones? £2M. NET SPEND -£8M

Wigan Ath - Stephen Warnock, Dan Burn, Alex Gilbey Undisc. Nick Powell Free, Adam Bogdan Loan. Jake Buxton Free. NET SPEND £0

Wolves – Andy Lonergan Free, Jon Bodvarsson £1M, Helder Costa Loan, Joao Teixeira Loan, Silvio Free, Prince Oniangue £2.5M NET SPEND -£2.2M

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

Sheff Weds - Steven Fletcher Free, Jake Kean Free, Almen Abdi £4M, Daniel Pudil £2M, Will Buckley loan, David Jones? £2M. NET SPEND -£8M

Sorry Enchanter, but shouldn't that be "+£8M"?

Only 'net spend' will be how much money we've spent... so if you've spent negative money, doesn't that mean you've saved money? :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Sorry Enchanter, but shouldn't that be "+£8M"?

Only 'net spend' will be how much money we've spent... so if you've spent negative money, doesn't that mean you've saved money? :ph34r:

I just did it in terms of whats come out of the bank but yeah their shouldn't be a minus sign before in this case. But I'm going to keep the plus signs for teams that have made a profit as it just appears easier to comprehend. 

I just did it in terms of whats come out of the bank but yeah their shouldn't be a minus sign before in this case. But I'm going to keep the plus signs for teams that have made a profit as it just appears easier to comprehend. 

Oh it hardly matters, we all know what you mean anyway it's fine as it is :biggrin:

If you feel you need to change it, "net value" would suffice

Just now, Costello 77 said:

£3 million a year though...

Fernando did him big time in that friendly game too. Looks a right slow lump of a player and nothing like the one I've watched over the years in the Champions League and for Brazil. His pedigree is unbelievable but it means F all for a slow player on his way down playing in one of the most demanding and competitive leagues in the world. 

Fernando did him big time in that friendly game too. Looks a right slow lump of a player and nothing like the one I've watched over the years in the Champions League and for Brazil. His pedigree is unbelievable but it means F all for a slow player on his way down playing in one of the most demanding and competitive leagues in the world. 

Interesting. It's the wages that caught my eye. There's going to be some sweaty owners come Easter.

Just now, Costello 77 said:

Interesting. It's the wages that caught my eye. There's going to be some sweaty owners come Easter.

Definitely and I hope they continue to spaff out on these players. It seems to me that Wolves spending is more of a display of wealth and intent to the league and fans rather than actually putting the pieces of a 'promotion' jigsaw together. David Jones may not be a sexy signing but he sure will be more effective and value for money than some of Wolves signings. 

17 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Sorry the updates been a bit late. Plenty of movement since last time! Primarily from ourselves. 

Aston Villa - Aaron Tshibola £5M, Pierluigi Gollini £4.25M, Tommy Elphick £3M, Ross McCormack £12M, James Chester £8M. NET SPEND -£16M

Barnsley - George Moncur 500k. Tom Bradshaw £600k NET SPEND -£1.1M

Birmingham - Robert Tesche Free, James Vaughan Free, Ryan Shotton Undisc, Che Adams £1.7M, Greg Stewart £500k. NET SPEND -£2.2M

Blackburn - Danny Graham Free, Anthony Stokes Free, Liam Feeney Free, Jack Byrne Loan. Gordon Greer FreeNET SPEND +£5.5M

Brentford - John Egan Free, Romaine Sawyers Free, Daniel Bentley Free, Emmanuel Ledesma. NET SPEND +£3.2M

Brighton - Steve Sidwell Free, Glenn Murray Loan, Oliver Norwood £2.5M NET SPEND -£2.5M

Bristol City - Lee Tomlin £3M, Hordur Magnusson £2.5M, Gary O'Neill Free, Josh Brownhill Free. Callum O’Dowda £1M, Tammy Abraham Loan. NET SPEND -£5.75M

Burton Albion - Ben Turner Free. Jackson Irvine £300k, Callum MacFadzean £200k, Chris O’Grady Loan, Lloyd Dyer Free, Lee Williamson Free, NET SPEND -£500k

Cardiff City - Frederic Guongbe Free, Lex Immers Undisc, Kenneth Zohore Undisc. Jazz Richards swap deal, Emyr Huws Undisc. NET SPEND Undisc. 

Derby County -  NET SPEND +£1M

Fulham - Floyd Ayite £1.7M, Michael Madl £1.3M, Sone Aluko Free. David Button £2M, Scott Malone Swap deal, Denis Odoi £800k. Tomas Kalas Loan. Jozabed Sanchez £3M, Kevin

McDonald £1.3M, NET SPEND +£9M

Huddersfield - Chris Schindler £1.7M, Jon Stankovic £500k, Chris Lowe Free, Micheal Hefele Free, Jack Payne Free, Ivan Paurevic Undisc, Rajiv Van La Parra Undisc. Elias Kachunga £200k, Aaron Mooy Loan. NET SPEND -£1.4M

Ipswich T - Adam Webster £800k, Grant Ward £600K NET SPEND -£1.4M 

Leeds Utd - Kemar Roofe £3M, Marcus Antonsson £1.7M, Rob Green Free, Hadi Sacko Loan, Kyle Bartley Loan, Matt Grimes Loan. Luke Ayling £750K, Pablo Hernandez Loan. NET SPEND +£250k

Newcastle Utd - Matt Ritchie £12M, Dwight Gayle £10M, Matz Sels £5M, Isaac Hayden £2.5M, Grant Hanley £5.5M Ciaren Clark £5M, Mo Diame £4.5M NET SPEND +£5M 

Norwich City – Sergi Canos £2.5M, Alex Pritchard £8M. NET SPEND +£500k

Nottm Forest - Apostollos Vellios £1M, Thomas Lam Free, Armand Traore Free, Damien Perquis Free, Stephen Henderson Free, Hildoberto Loan, Pajtim Ksami Loan. NET SPEND -£1M 

Preston NE - Callum Robinson Free, Chris Maxwell Free, Anders Lindegaard Free, Tommy Spurr Free, Simon Makienok Loan. Eoin Doyle Undisc, Ben Pringle £250K NET SPEND -£250k

QPR - Ariel Borysiuk £1.5M, Joel Lynch £1.2M, Jake Bidwell £1.2M, Jordan Cousins £1.3M, N’Gbakoto £1.5M NET SPEND +£3.2M

Reading - Danzell Gravenberch Free, Joey Van Den Berg Free, Anssi Jaakola Free, Joseph Mendes Undisc, Roy Beerens £800K John Swift Loan, Callum Harriot £1.5M NET SPEND +£5.2M

Rotherham - Anthony Ford Undisc, Lewis Price Free, Jake Forster Caskey Loan. Kelvin Wilson Free, Scott Allan Loan, Jon Taylor £500k, Will Vaulks £400k NET SPEND -£900k

Wigan Ath - Stephen Warnock, Dan Burn, Alex Gilbey Undisc. Nick Powell Free, Adam Bogdan Loan. Jake Buxton Free. NET SPEND £0

Wolves – Andy Lonergan Free, Jon Bodvarsson £1M, Helder Costa Loan, Joao Teixeira Loan, Silvio Free, Prince Oniangue £2.5M NET SPEND -£2.2M

In my opinion without being biased us; Huddersfield, Bristol City and QPR seem to be doing the best value for money business. Bringing in quality for bargain prices. Whereas the likes of Villa, Newcastle and Wolves seem to be throwing money at it for the sake of it and I don't think they're getting good value for money.