Ryan Gauld

1 hour ago, DAVIDHIRST09 said:

Do you think  if he was that good why hasn't he been snapped up by a premiership team and we haven't had good record with Scottish players in the past . Look else were

Crikey, you wouldn't be a happy chappy if we signed Hanley, McCormack and Fletcher along with Gault to go with Palmer, Wallace, Bannan and of course Lee Bullen on the staff.

He was snapped up by a premier league team.....a Portuguese one.  Don't want to hear the argument that its an inferior league to the Premier League either, the Portuguese consistently out perform us at international level, like errrr, last night.  Sporting have a reputation for producing talented youngsters, i'd hazard a guess and say they are better at this than we are.  

Was a great little player at Dundee Utd, good technique, very comfortable with a ball, could pick a pass thru a defense. Also wasn't afraid to run at defenders, it was very Messi-esque to watch, tho the level of opponents was obviously a lot lower than la liga.

Since moving to Sporting, he's mostly been in the B team, which is not exactly embarrassing considering half the Portugese international midfield plays for them. Carvalho, Sivla, Mario.. as well as Cesar (brazilian international) and Aquilani (italian international). They also had Nani last season. So it's not an easy first team to break in to.. needless to say, it's a lot better than ours.

Since Gauld's been at Sporting, he's actually been used a lot deeper than he used to play in Scotland. Instead of a Messi type of role, he's actually be playing in defensive midfield, winning the ball back and starting moves. I'd not sure if this was just part of a plan for his development, making him a more complete player by forcing him into a role which makes him develop these other skills, but he does seem quite capable in that role now. He makes some well timed tackles and still breaks forwards with those darting runs with the ball that he was famous for north of the border.

From the outside, he does seem a little frustrated, and has seen other young players (of seemingly lesser talent) pass him by into the national side. He'll have seen Bannan reviatlise his career with us and find his way back into the international squad, and perhaps that'll be helpful (as well as Carlos' connections) in getting a deal to happen.

Given the different style of football played in Portugal it's hard to judge how well he's do in the Championship, but he's certainly got ability. A lot will depend on how we use him. Realistically we could fit in pretty much anywhere given his skills and what he's already done in his career. He could play wide, as a second striker or as a deep lying playmaker. Personally, I think it'd be a joy to watch him and Forestieri scare defenders to death.

Edited by cookeh

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

Was a great little player at Dundee Utd, good technique, very comfortable with a ball, could pick a pass thru a defense. Also wasn't afraid to run at defenders, it was very Messi-esque to watch, tho the level of opponents was obviously a lot lower than la liga.

Since moving to Sporting, he's mostly been in the B team, which is not exactly embarrassing considering half the Portugese international midfield plays for them. Carvalho, Sivla, Mario.. as well as Cesar (brazilian international) and Aquilani (italian international). They also had Nani last season. So it's not an easy first team to break in to.. needless to say, it's a lot better than ours.

Since Gauld's been at Sporting, he's actually been used a lot deeper than he used to play in Scotland. Instead of a Messi type of role, he's actually be playing in defensive midfield, winning the ball back and starting moves. I'd not sure if this was just part of a plan for his development, making him a more complete player by forcing him into a role which makes him develop these other skills, but he does seem quite capable in that role now. He makes some well timed tackles and still breaks forwards with those darting runs with the ball that he was famous for north of the border.

From the outside, he does seem a little frustrated, and has seen other young players (of seemingly lesser talent) pass him by into the national side. He'll have seen Bannan reviatlise his career with us and find his way back into the international squad, and perhaps that'll be helpful (as well as Carlos' connections) in getting a deal to happen.

Given the different style of football played in Portugal it's hard to judge how well he's do in the Championship, but he's certainly got ability. A lot will depend on how we use him. Realistically we could fit in pretty much anywhere given his skills and what he's already done in his career. He could play wide, as a second striker or as a deep lying playmaker. Personally, I think it'd be a joy to watch him and Forestieri scare defenders to death.

That's me convinced, sign him up!

McMessi's on fire, your defence is terrified.

3 hours ago, cookeh said:

He sounds a very good potential addition to me, with a lot of room to improve further.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

If that is a collection of his highlights, I would not want to see the low lights.

To be fair, that's a terrible highlights vid

Give this one a go, taken from only shortly after he left the womb, just as he started his career up in Scotland and making defences look silly. 

(You'll want to start the video 1 minute in to ignore all the pointless maguffin beforehand)

Edited by StudentOwl

That's probably the best summary in a single vid, tho the channel has a bunch of "every touch he made in the game" kind of highlights.
I think the main challenge for him will be to up his workrate enough to get into our first 11. But as it is he certainly has the talent to be handy off the bench to open up a defence.

Guest wilyfox

He does look a real talent, but I'd have thought someone like Clough would be a more suitable target because he's championship-ready, contributing at this level. 

44 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

He does look a real talent, but I'd have thought someone like Clough would be a more suitable target because he's championship-ready, contributing at this level. 

Fair, but Clough's on his way to Norwich isn't he?

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Fair, but Clough's on his way to Norwich isn't he?

Sounds like they're trying to hijack our move for Fletcher; I'd do the same for Clough. 

Well one of papers has reported Bannan has turned Norwich down. Thats a good signal to other pro's that we are now movers and shakers in this flippingleague. Oh it feels good!!!

WIll have to take a look at this video on my lunch. 

Edited by mozzy85