Why today really mattered

We WILL be back.

Decided not to dwell, and continue to be despondent, after yesterday, but instead, look forward to next season when undoubtedly, there will be further changes to playing personnel, to hopefully give us what we need to get over the line next season.

Newcastle, Norwich, Derby, Brighton, Wolves, Preston. Bristol, Villa with money, it's going to be one HELL of a tough season.

Have you stopped believing James?

Head up mate, we'll get over this and make 'em 'ave it next season.

Chin up pal.

Im with you Owlsman...we simply werent good enough yesterday irrespective of it being 'our time'or whatever...our chairman does not lack ambition and some better quality will definately be added to the team for next season..yesterday must, and I believe will be used as a positive stepping stone!!...

Everybody will be stronger, but so will we.

I'm despondent but looking forward to next season.

Good lad.

Chin up Wednesday.

No moaning, no dwelling. Accept that we were beaten by a better side on the day, and look forward to next season's promotion push.

We simply lost a battle, but the war goes on.

Im with you Owlsman...we simply werent good enough yesterday irrespective of it being 'our time'or whatever...our chairman does not lack ambition and some better quality will definately be added to the team for next season..yesterday must, and I believe will be used as a positive stepping stone!!...

Absolutely Prendo.

My half empty glass became half full when Mr C moved in. We'll get there as sure as eggs are eggs, we just need some patience and belief in equal measures.

Edited by theowlsman

Newcastle, Norwich, Derby, Brighton, Wolves, Preston. Bristol, Villa with money, it's going to be one HELL of a tough season.

And Wednesday!

Plus only Wednesday will have the support of Wednesday fans.

We are on our way back - Mr Chansiri planned for us to go up next season. This one has been an unexpectedly successful trail run.

Next season is going to be awesome!

We only made top six because Cardiff, Ipswich and Brum et al are absolute dogger and we fluked through the semis. We're not ready yet and didn't deserve it ultimately. Forestieri can't even break into Watford's first 11 in the Championship - that is how far behind we are from Premier League stability. We are still in a major transition and are only half way there. Leicester finished sixth and mess up the playoffs under Pearson and went on to be champions the following year and the rest as they say.

Top six will be easier without giving other teams an 8 game head-start - i'm not worried about making playoffs again because we're on another level to anything bellow us and will only get stronger and that gap will widen. We might even make it through the playoffs next year but automatic is gone in all honesty. I don't want to go up in this state because even with significant additions we would still have massive glaring weaknesses all over the pitch which would be exposed week in week out.

I don't want to be a yoyo bottom feeder like Burnley, Norwich or Hull with their affable cloggers and journeymen... I want to build a forge a proper team slowly like Leicester/Swansea/Brom/Stoke/Watford and do more than pocket parachute money every other year.

Edited by TrueOwl

To be honest I thought at the beginning of last season it'll be the most difficult season yet, I thought there were more strong teams in that division than ever before.

However, we were easily top 6 by the end and deservedly so. Many teams faltered, by either having bad luck, bad form or just by being bad.

Next season looks 'stronger' again, but I feel if we just take it one game at a time like we have being doing all last season, we'll be fine.

Hello again you lovely lot. Strap yourselves in for a painfully long and boring post.

I used to post on here a lot, then took a self-imposed hiatus. Whatever. Boring. This isn't about me.

I feel absolutely cheated tonight. I feel robbed, like I've been hard done by. Not because we lost or because we were the better team or because things didn't fall our way or because we were unlucky. We were edged by a superb strike by a team that defended resolutely and had slightly more shots, slightly more chances, slightly more experience and slightly more know-how when it came to game management and shutting us down before we could coil our tail and strike. We let them have possession, we defended well most of the time, we tried to hit them on the counter but it just wasn't quite there.

But it's not the loss that hurts for me, not in itself. It's the fact that this was our day. It's the fact that we have pissed around in the doldrums for years and for once we have achieved something not by chance but on merit. It's the fact that when I go to Hillsborough instead of groans and boos and divisive views I hear applause and chants and see smiles.

My Dad brought me into the Wednesday family as a kid. Exiled himself to Kent where I've grown up all my life but this was his team. So from there, this became our team. This was our thing. This wasn't football, it was me connecting with my Dad, my heritage. Where I come from, who I am. 

Then suddenly we're at Wembley and we're on the brink and I have a moment that may never come again in his lifetime where I can stand next to my hero and my best friend and revel in our shared love of something that connects us. And all around us are fathers, sons, mothers, daughters, cousins, aunties, grandads, grandmas... all doing the same thing. Before we'd even kicked a ball we'd shown the world what it means to us and it completely transcends football - at least for me anyway.

I feel cheated because it was supposed to be our fairytale finish. I was supposed to hug my dad and cry and watch my team, our team, lift the trophy and say to him "we've done it". Instead, when it came to slotting in that last piece of the jigsaw, we were fairly outdone by a team that - had the game been played off the pitch and in the stands - don't deserve it in my opinion.

Why today really mattered is because it showed a whole new generation what is just slightly beyond their fingertips and it reminded several generations previous what we were and could be again. It was a fleeting glimpse of what could be. It was 90 minutes on a knife edge that could have potentially seen us back where we feel we can be. It was the kid in the playground not having the mickey taken out of him anymore for supporting Sheffield Wednesday, or the Dad with his Son watching us finally do something good for once. It was the single moment that made someone fall in love with our club and vow to follow us forever, for better or worse. It was the reminder to all of you who've witnessed complete sh*t that it doesn't have to be like that anymore. It was way more than football. The result was irrelevant.

Anyway f**k this I'm rambling, the main point is you all looked and sounded absolutely unreal today. I don't give a flyer whether the people who got tickets were "true fans" or people who haven't been to a game in 20 years. You rocked that place to the foundations. You deserved a goal. You deserved a win and you deserved to see us lift the trophy.

If you do it again for another 12 months there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we'll be singing we're Sheffield Wednesday - we've found our way back.

Next year. Next year.

disclaimer : I'm leathered.

Applause. I concur.

I was speaking with a 7 year old on our coach coming back yesterday 

He decided to pass the time coming by canvassing how sad we all were about losing and as he asked he was saying don't worry we'll win next year 

More sense and perspective from a 7 year old who had had a blinding day than a lot of much older and supposedly more wise owls who's opinions im reading .

Buy better than we have and go again