Why today really mattered

Hello again you lovely lot. Strap yourselves in for a painfully long and boring post.

I used to post on here a lot, then took a self-imposed hiatus. Whatever. Boring. This isn't about me.

I feel absolutely cheated tonight. I feel robbed, like I've been hard done by. Not because we lost or because we were the better team or because things didn't fall our way or because we were unlucky. We were edged by a superb strike by a team that defended resolutely and had slightly more shots, slightly more chances, slightly more experience and slightly more know-how when it came to game management and shutting us down before we could coil our tail and strike. We let them have possession, we defended well most of the time, we tried to hit them on the counter but it just wasn't quite there.

But it's not the loss that hurts for me, not in itself. It's the fact that this was our day. It's the fact that we have pissed around in the doldrums for years and for once we have achieved something not by chance but on merit. It's the fact that when I go to Hillsborough instead of groans and boos and divisive views I hear applause and chants and see smiles.

My Dad brought me into the Wednesday family as a kid. Exiled himself to Kent where I've grown up all my life but this was his team. So from there, this became our team. This was our thing. This wasn't football, it was me connecting with my Dad, my heritage. Where I come from, who I am. 

Then suddenly we're at Wembley and we're on the brink and I have a moment that may never come again in his lifetime where I can stand next to my hero and my best friend and revel in our shared love of something that connects us. And all around us are fathers, sons, mothers, daughters, cousins, aunties, grandads, grandmas... all doing the same thing. Before we'd even kicked a ball we'd shown the world what it means to us and it completely transcends football - at least for me anyway.

I feel cheated because it was supposed to be our fairytale finish. I was supposed to hug my dad and cry and watch my team, our team, lift the trophy and say to him "we've done it". Instead, when it came to slotting in that last piece of the jigsaw, we were fairly outdone by a team that - had the game been played off the pitch and in the stands - don't deserve it in my opinion.

Why today really mattered is because it showed a whole new generation what is just slightly beyond their fingertips and it reminded several generations previous what we were and could be again. It was a fleeting glimpse of what could be. It was 90 minutes on a knife edge that could have potentially seen us back where we feel we can be. It was the kid in the playground not having the mickey taken out of him anymore for supporting Sheffield Wednesday, or the Dad with his Son watching us finally do something good for once. It was the single moment that made someone fall in love with our club and vow to follow us forever, for better or worse. It was the reminder to all of you who've witnessed complete sh*t that it doesn't have to be like that anymore. It was way more than football. The result was irrelevant.

Anyway f**k this I'm rambling, the main point is you all looked and sounded absolutely unreal today. I don't give a flyer whether the people who got tickets were "true fans" or people who haven't been to a game in 20 years. You rocked that place to the foundations. You deserved a goal. You deserved a win and you deserved to see us lift the trophy.

If you do it again for another 12 months there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we'll be singing we're Sheffield Wednesday - we've found our way back.

Next year. Next year.

disclaimer : I'm leathered.

Remarkable post considering the amount of alcohol you've probably consumed.

This football club is on its way back, the fans at the end of the game and the ovation that the squad of players and management got from us, spoke absolute volumes.

We are Sheffield Wednesday and we are most definitely on our way back!!

Carlos nailed it in his interview. We've lost but they've given us everything we could have asked for and more. I've been to Hillsborough a few times when, rightly or wrongly, deservedly or not, the atmosphere has been poisonous.

I've never felt such unwavering love and support like I felt this season and today. I just hope that come September we can show them we're still here and we still believe and we'll do everything we can to carry them over the line. We deserve it and they deserve it. I can't wait for next season.

I feel somebody close has passed away.

Still feel fookin' awful.

Seeing that look on my Lad's face after the game really hurts.

Being part of this fan base helps, being so proud of the showing yesterday helps but still utterly, utterly gutted.

Great post.  I must admit the atmosphere 11 rows from the front were I was with my daughter was like something I hadn't experienced for 20 years.  Absolutely incredible.  You could see from the players when they applauded us after the game that they were heartbroken too, as were all the kids around me, but good God what a journey, what passion and so close.

We will get there, and finally after years of pain - we nearly ready to come back.  Well done Wednesday.

Edited by sagesse

Feels like the club has undergone a transformation this season.

A renewed energy and focus.

Showed a glimmer of what this club is capable of with some investment - financially, from the players/coach and the fans, though the latter, through few good times and mainly bad, always have.

We were so close and a normally pessimistic me was sure we'd do it.

Im just worried that we might not do it in my lifetime and im not even 50 yet :-).

I think we can but I also have this little worry that it could be another 15 years.

I don't think I could take that.

Also, pm Brownlad lol