Hooper - the talks are over. Welcome back to SWFC

DC. Get this fecker done. Sharpish

Whilst that's to the point, the sharpish part is key. With Hooper banging the goals in, someone else will start to see his price tag as good value, especially for the January silly season. We need to tie this deal up quickly and make him our player. It's the biggest test for DC and his deal making - you can't draw out negotiations for a deal like this in my opinion, so we need to break the mould this time.

The key issue here is Hooper has proven he fits in with our style and scores goals as a result. That will impact on his price, no doubt about it.

We are about to see how serious Mr Chansiri is.

tbf I think he's already made that clear  - He's backed up words with cash what we've done so far and now in contract renewals will cost quite a few million 

tbf I think he's already made that clear - He's backed up words with cash what we've done so far and now in contract renewals will cost quite a few million

Agreed, to a certain extent - decent money has been spent very wisely over the past year.

However, in terms of being serious promotion contenders, we've spent very little compared to a fair few of those clubs around us (especially above us). Hooper won't be cheap and his goals (on current form) are likely to be the difference between a genuine shot at promotion and a good top 10 finish this season.

Rather than us overspending on Hooper, I reckon QPR have been absolutely rinsed selling Austin for so little.

Reading this morning that QPR and Fulham are interested in taking Hooper on loan. Does that mean that Fulham are going to sell McCormack to Boro?

People have short memories with the "pay whatever" kind of attitude. Overspending brought about years of struggle & pain. I never want to see us go there again.

Promotion is NEVER guaranteed & we have to be sensible (as we have thus far). We don't want to be in a situation like Forest, QPR etc that are not promotion contenders & can't sign quality players.

I'd love Hooper to join but he isn't bigger than the club. He's a championship striker (all be it a good one). Give Norwich & him what we feel his value is & no more.

For me £2.5-3m & £20-25k a week is plenty.

Agreed, to a certain extent - decent money has been spent very wisely over the past year.

However, in terms of being serious promotion contenders, we've spent very little compared to a fair few of those clubs around us (especially above us). Hooper won't be cheap and his goals (on current form) are likely to be the difference between a genuine shot at promotion and a good top 10 finish this season.

Agree with you here, particularly with the last sentence which is exactly how I see it.

I don't get why people believe that we won't or shouldn't pay a significant amount of money for Hooper due to him being in the final 6 months of his contract.  What does it matter?  He's still the same player with the same qualities whether he has six years or six month remaining on his contract.  He's proven that he's compatible and brings a benefit to our team.  Proven goal-scorers are rare items - when did we last have one?  In fact, the vast majority of teams in the league haven't had a proven goal-scorer for years such is the scarcity of that type of player.   Most of the teams that recruit goal-scorers tend to get promoted.  I'd think seriously about biting the bullet and paying over the odds if I were Mr C.  If we don't "splash the cash" someone else will. 

Guest wilyfox

I don't get why people believe that we won't or shouldn't pay a significant amount of money for Hooper due to him being in the final 6 months of his contract.  What does it matter?  He's still the same player with the same qualities whether he has six years or six month remaining on his contract.  He's proven that he's compatible and brings a benefit to our team.  Proven goal-scorers are rare items - when did we last have one?  In fact, the vast majority of teams in the league haven't had a proven goal-scorer for years such is the scarcity of that type of player.   Most of the teams that recruit goal-scorers tend to get promoted.  I'd think seriously about biting the bullet and paying over the odds if I were Mr C.  If we don't "splash the cash" someone else will.

Are you serious? 3mil+ on a striker that could be free in the summer, and you can't understand why people are reluctant? Chansiri will have more sense than to pay heavy on a potential freebie. IF Norwich exercise their option on the player, that changes things. But they've yet to do that, and until they do commit to another year of his contract it's a mere threat or bluff.

Are you serious? 3mil+ on a striker that could be free in the summer, and you can't understand why people are reluctant? Chansiri will have more sense than to pay heavy on a potential freebie. IF Norwich exercise their option on the player, that changes things. But they've yet to do that, and until they do commit to another year of his contract it's a mere threat or bluff.

What does it matter if he's free in the summer?  Obviously, we should pay as little as we can but if we wait we run the risk of losing him to another team.  If we are serious about promotion we need a player like Hooper and we aren't going to get such a player for £3M - we'd be looking upwards of £5M IMO.  Norwich hold all the cards given that Hooper is bang in form and they can activate a year's extension if they wish.  Bite the bullet I say. 

Edited by shandypants