Time to leave the old Stadium.

So you want us to build a "Four Hundred Million Pound" stadium.

Instead of Wasting £22million.

Good idea..................

I live in S6, I work in S6, I watch my football in S6. I ain't moving for nobody

The key point is that refurbing Hillsborough is likely to be a waste of money as it will generate no new income; removing posts from the Kop, for example, would cost millions and bring no new money in. A new stadium is considerably more expensive, yes, but if it brings in more revenue then it may bea very wise investment.

I understand people being local to S6 not wanting to leave but the evidence of other clubs who have moved to new stadia is that the number of new supporters dwarfs the number of the 'not moving, ever, flat earthers.'

I would support a new stadium, well designed with our history incorporated but I also don't think it's our number one priority right now.

Edited by 1/10/1983

The key point is that refurbing Hillsborough is likely to be a waste of money as it will generate no new income; removing posts from the Kop, for example, would cost millions and bring no new money in. A new stadium is considerably more expensive, yes, but if it brings in more revenue then it may bea very wise investment.

I understand people being local to S6 not wanting to leave but the evidence of other clubs who have moved to new stadia is that the number of new supporters dwarfs the number of the 'not moving, ever, flat earthers.'

I would support a new stadium, well designed with our history incorporated but I also don't think it's our number one priority right now.

But I'm poor, all my spare cash goes on a season ticket. So I wouldn't be able to afford the bus fare. Also with public transport in the state it's in, we'd set off at midday and get to the game for the last 10 minutes 😡😡😡 Edited by Blueblood

I'm torn

Villa have shown that you can bring a traditional ground into the 21st century

But I like the idea of a new state of the art stadium, providing it's done properly, as for every etihad and Emirates type there's 10 Ricohs and kc stadium types

When grounds start being made with individuality, with proper materials, and by proper craftsmen. Then yes, I'd be open to it.

Arsenal_front.jpg

al1.jpg

But they're not really.

All these bowls look the same to me. Perhaps it's my age. 

Perhaps its the memories of visiting these old worshipping temple, some of them now long gone, with freinds long gone...

Of dad taking me by the hand and leading me through the park.

I suppose of course it would attract a few extra thousand for some reason. Afterall You only have to look at Newcastle and Sunderland to see that you can get more people to watch a team if their seat is shiny even if the team aren't doing anything on the pitch.

It's the times I suppose.

Kids today want a new pair of £100 trainers.

They can't be seen taking their comfy old boots to the cobblers for repair.

I suppose football is the same. 

Reasonable post to be fair, and found the link quite interesting. Think probably arguments on both sides of the coin.

Couple of things that spring to mind though.

Some of the most iconic grounds in the country, thinking Man utd, Liverpool, Newcastle for eg. have all stuck with their original existing sites and enhanced and extended and are still doing so.

I take on board some of the arguments for leaving Hillsborough but still think the arguments for staying put outweigh them. We talk about the renovation that needs doing, but we have to take on board the fact that we have just endured at least 2 decades of decline & neglect where the basic infrastructure has been allowed to deteriorate, so it is at its absolute worst.

A lot of the neglect, the 'Weeds and stuff' Maidstone refers to could be addressed at little expense, most of this is mainly cosmetic. 

The bigger issues like the Lepps and the 'Pillars' could be addressed 'relatively' cheaply, (stress relatively).

The plans for the World Cup showed the potential.

The site is on a substantial area, especially behind the Lepps and the North (potentially) which is ripe for ground re development.

I would say stick with what we have and develop and enhance and make this iconic site into something really special.

We then have a transformed beautiful ground with the history & memories that go with it rather than upping sticks to God knows where.

Edited by bigthinrob

But I'm poor, all my spare cash goes on a season ticket. So I wouldn't be able to afford the bus fare. Also with public transport in the state it's in, we'd set off at midday and get to the game for the last 10 minutes 😡😡😡

Ah well in that case you won't need a season ticket. There's always loads of weirdos vacating their seats 10 minutes before time even when we're winning & playing entertaining football. So there's a big saving for you 😂😂😂

I'm liking the fact that we now feel like a modern thinking football club, and under the new owners, I think we will be marketed globally, when we get to the Premier League. Hopefully we will keep our strong local support, but it's inevitable that Mr Chansiri will want a larger audience

Well apart from the fact there are no signs for the stadium from the south (forcing away fans to do a 50 mile round trip to leppings lane) Vastness of stadium is actually holding us back.

I'd make bigger seats for the Lardy arses in the south, big screen every corner, weedol the weeds and rip out the seats around the pillars for a bespoke standing/ singing area or a bandstand ( pass me the tin hat). Get it down around 32k so that it can feel full occasionally.

World cups and euros are utterly irrelevant and a move might make sense in the long run if only to avoid that flipping series of lights on willystone road.

BUT get to prem first - put the money on the pitch first and don't make the mistake we made in the sixties which was repeated in the nineties.